Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

Why are you referring to them as 'gamers?'

Billions of people play video games. Are they all basement manbabies?

It was just a jokey way to reference them, nothing more than that, I play video-games myself, so no offense.

33 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Brie Larson hasn’t said anything that should spring the hate of anyone either. It’s just misogynistic shit repeated ad nauseam. 

Well, let's just say you can see why Brie's comments could trigger reaction, but I've never come across anything like that from PWB, incels hate her without even mentioning why they hate her, it's like they were told to hate her.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It was just a jokey way to reference them, nothing more than that, I play video-games myself, so no offense.

Well, let's just say you can see why Brie's comments could trigger reaction, but I've never come across anything like that from PWB, incels hate her without even mentioning why they hate her, it's like they were told to hate her.

It’s the escalation of what we’ve been seeing since Brie Larson, Daisy Ridley and Kelly Marie Tran. It has only got worse with time, it also happened with Tatiana Maslany last year, and it keeps happening time and time again because there isn’t really any push back against the narrative. Worse, I feel like the civil discourse moved to a point where what these virgin chuds say is validated, you can look at how the discourse here on this very message board has become lately compared to 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

This. The indiana Jones nostalgia movie was already made in 2008.

They neeeded to make already a reboot with a new indiana made by a new young actor. 

Cool actor + ij brand and you could have It young people and still the old audience.

This thing indiana Jones is only Harrison Ford Is boring.

People Always say the same and then as you said you got new loved Batman, spidermans, bonds etc..

And don't tell me Sean connery as bond wasn't a living legend. 

Between Ford here and Keaton Batman on the flash seems like the nostlagia effect Is becaming inoffensive. Let's hope this means Hollywood will try new things.

Here is what I think:

People repeating this narrative clearly don’t know what they want. They say that, but eagerly anticipate Batman 2 like it isn’t just Matt Reeves covering Christopher Nolan’s TDK, or cannot wait for Henry Cavill to take on 007 (LMAO), make memes about how Tom Cruise saved cinema with a tired Mission: Impossible franchise that has been going for 20 years. People talk against ‘nostalgia’, but they talk against ‘nostalgia’ of what they don’t want or do not want to succeed. Let’s not even get started with the hype around James Gunn’s Superman (which I’m very much part of, guilty as charged) or how it’s hillarious that a fucking Joker film is getting a sequel with Lady Gaga playing Harley Quinn.

People talk against ‘nostalgia’ but clearly crave for that. And no, The Flash bombing doesn’t mean that people are sick of ‘nostalgia’, hell I find the idea that linking The fucking Flash with ‘nostalgia’ ridiculous and hilarious. Having Keaton’s Batman as an action figure in a The Flash movie isn’t appealing to nostalgia, it’s trying to use nostalgia cynically to propel a character that people don’t have any attachments with other than hardcore fans from a series of films that were terribly received both critically and publicly. You can’t really compare with Spider-Man: No Way Home because that film had a character people care about and another two Spider-Men from different eras and the director and screenwriters insanely made it work, it felt like a Spider-Men film 20 years in the making. That’s playing well to nostalgia, and it has clearly paid off.

Also, since today is Dial of Destiny’s premiere, I’d still advise against counting this film out. It’s going to be an interesting ride between now and the 4th of July week and weekend, that’s for sure.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Premiering at Cannes was a huge mistake. If reactions were only coming out now plenty of people would have already had tickets booked but the bad buzz started more than a month before release thanks to the reviews 

I agree with this. Still think it was the right move if it was supposed to give Ford a chance of getting the recognition of his peers, despite how it was clearly naive and a bad business move. I feel like Ford has earned that kind of praise, and I say that without knowing how I’ll personally feel about the film. It was a naive move in a cynical industry, but I’m kinda glad it happened. We don’t know how many years Ford has it on him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Premiering at Cannes was a huge mistake. If reactions were only coming out now plenty of people would have already had tickets booked but the bad buzz started more than a month before release thanks to the reviews 

Not necessarily. The Cannes and Venice crowds have responded positively to movies before. Shrek and Halloween 2018 got better reception. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here is what I think:

People repeating this narrative clearly don’t know what they want. They say that, but eagerly anticipate Batman 2 like it isn’t just Matt Reeves covering Christopher Nolan’s TDK, or cannot wait for Henry Cavill to take on 007 (LMAO), make memes about how Tom Cruise saved cinema with a tired Mission: Impossible franchise that has been going for 20 years. People talk against ‘nostalgia’, but they talk against ‘nostalgia’ of what they don’t want or do not want to succeed. Let’s not even get started with the hype around James Gunn’s Superman (which I’m very much part of, guilty as charged) or how it’s hillarious that a fucking Joker film is getting a sequel with Lady Gaga playing Harley Quinn.

People talk against ‘nostalgia’ but clearly crave for that. And no, The Flash bombing doesn’t mean that people are sick of ‘nostalgia’, hell I find the idea that linking The fucking Flash with ‘nostalgia’ ridiculous and hilarious. Having Keaton’s Batman as an action figure in a The Flash movie isn’t appealing to nostalgia, it’s trying to use nostalgia cynically to propel a character that people don’t have any attachments with other than hardcore fans from a series of films that were terribly received both critically and publicly. You can’t really compare with Spider-Man: No Way Home because that film had a character people care about and another two Spider-Men from different eras and the director and screenwriters insanely made it work, it felt like a Spider-Men film 20 years in the making. That’s playing well to nostalgia, and it has clearly paid off.

Also, since today is Dial of Destiny’s premiere, I’d still advise against counting this film out. It’s going to be an interesting ride between now and the 4th of July week and weekend, that’s for sure.

None of what you said in the first paragraph’s even nostalgia. The last Mission came out in 2018, those movies always have long breaks between movies. The Batman 2 and Joker 2 are sequels to reboots, the Superman movie is a reboot and Cavill being 007 doesn’t even have any relevance and feels like you just put it to shit on Cavill because you don’t like him. Also none of what you said about Indy remotely works because it’s still on track to fucking tank domestically

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s the escalation of what we’ve been seeing since Brie Larson, Daisy Ridley and Kelly Marie Tran. It has only got worse with time, it also happened with Tatiana Maslany last year, and it keeps happening time and time again because there isn’t really any push back against the narrative. Worse, I feel like the civil discourse moved to a point where what these virgin chuds say is validated, you can look at how the discourse here on this very message board has become lately compared to 5 years ago. 

Not saying they deserve a cilvil answer, but there hasn't really been a lot of civil discourse.

There has always been pushback to that horrible and abusive behavior. Also, this pushback has been (understandably) hostile.

The real reason why they feel so validated is because more people are buying ther ideas in the last years.

Edited by Kon

12 minutes ago, TMP said:

None of what you said in the first paragraph’s even nostalgia. The last Mission came out in 2018, those movies always have long breaks between movies. The Batman 2 and Joker 2 are sequels to reboots, the Superman movie is a reboot and Cavill being 007 doesn’t even have any relevance and feels like you just put it to shit on Cavill because you don’t like him. Also none of what you said about Indy remotely works because it’s still on track to fucking tank domestically

Lmao. Mission: Impossible 1 came out in 1996. Give me a break, just because you are pimping a popular film and the ‘popular’ take it doesn’t make you right. But sure, take it away.

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think we can all agree that nostalgia can only go so far when a film’s titular character is 80. 

No-one’s nostalgic for old age. 

I mean, I’m not that old but I’m hyped for Indiana Jones as a last adventure with Harrison Ford endeavor. Clearly isn’t the same for all, but as someone that has Wolverine as one of their favorite comic book characters, I’m anticipating this a lot more than I’ve ever anticipated Logan. It could be not as good as Logan? Sure. Could it be very niche? Sure. Do I agree with the comparisons between The Flash and Indiana Jones because Keaton’s Batman was there? Hell no, that doesn’t make sense to me. I care more about Wolverine as a character than Indy, but I care about an Indy last film with Harrison Ford than I care about a "last film" with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, even if we are getting a new one on Deadpool 3.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean, I’m not that old but I’m hyped for Indiana Jones as a last adventure with Harrison Ford endeavor. Clearly isn’t the same for all, but as someone that has Wolverine as one of their favorite comic book characters, I’m anticipating this a lot more than I’ve ever anticipated Logan. It could be not as good as Logan? Sure. Could it be very niche? Sure. Do I agree with the comparisons between The Flash and Indiana Jones because Keaton’s Batman was there? Hell no, that doesn’t make sense to me. I care more about Wolverine as a character than Indy, but I care about an Indy last film with Harrison Ford than I care about a "last film" with Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine, even if we are getting a new one on Deadpool 3.

To be clear I’m not saying people are wrong to be excited for this, just that the movie’s reliance on nostalgia is tenuous. 

I don’t think Indy is a complex character but if you have him in a film being this old then you’ve no choice but to acknowledge it and make it a bit of a character study. So it’s probably a good thing they went in that direction, even if the film probably shouldn’t exist at all. 

7 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

To be clear I’m not saying people are wrong to be excited for this, just that the movie’s reliance on nostalgia is tenuous. 

I don’t think Indy is a complex character but if you have him in a film being this old then you’ve no choice but to acknowledge it and make it a bit of a character study. So it’s probably a good thing they went in that direction, even if the film probably shouldn’t exist at all. 

I don’t believe in the idea that films shouldn’t exist at all. By that idea, why bother to make sequels? Hell, why bother to make Raiders of the Last Ark at all? If audiences don’t connect, if the film isn’t good, that’s a different thing. Why Dune should exist at all, if one film could never capture perfectly what the books did? Why to make the Infinity Saga if the comics scale was even bigger than the films? That’s an way too jaded view of looking at why films are made for my tastes. Even bombs like The Flash should exist, let alone a film honoring a beloved character’s last ride. For real, not cynical like Logan’s, and that one was cynical because there isn’t such thing as a Logan last ride even before Jackman signed to comeback for Deadpool 3 and who knows what else. Wolverine will always come back. Indiana Jones will always come back. Harrison Ford as Indy though? Nope. That’s the power of this film, it’s sense of finitude.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1