Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

33 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That's not possible, is it? At least it should do better than The Flash,....i hope

Technically it would need to open to $81m+ 3 day to do “better than” The Flash. 

$200m vs $295m budget. 

Could end up the biggest bomb of the year, but maybe legs and OS will save it. 

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Technically it would need to open to $81m+ 3 day to do “better than” The Flash. 

$200m vs $295m budget. 

Could end up the biggest bomb of the year, but maybe legs and OS will save it. 

We truly don’t know how leggy this can be and more importantly, the difference of their release dates put Indiana Jones in uncharted territory, pun kinda intended. We need to see how it’s OW combined with the July 4th week will look. I’m a major nerd but I’m waiting until I get to travel next week so I can watch it on IMAX. If the sense of urgency is different for this even for me, I’d wager same for what will likely be an older crowd. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even if I’m the last one standing, I think that the whole Disney factory line argument is a bunch of bullshit. Disney factory line isn’t different than WB’s factory line, or Universal’s, Paramount’s and Sony’s for that matter. It’s a bunch of crap that is used to sustain a narrative that has literally no merit when we look at the facts, since the numbers that Disney keeps getting at the box office doesn’t sustain the narrative. 

If you think that The Batman or what have you prefer as "standalone stories for DC characters" isn’t a cynical cash grab made by WB just like cinematic universes or sequels like Indiana Jones, then I have a bridge to sell it to you. Studios are in the business of making films that give them profits, and that’s all of them. Not just Disney. Singling out Disney only serves to feed a narrative that puts Disney as this big bad that it’s "replacing" and "killing" whatever some old farts think what the "American way" is.

Keep accepting the dreck Disney and other companies like to put out, and nothing ever gets better. I only single them out in this thread because the thread is about a Disney film. 

The fact you’re comparing Dial Of Destiny to The Batman suggests you’ve lost sensible perspective.

You’re clearly trying to bring some sort of political angle into this, which I am entirely uninterested in - I’m not an American, so I care nothing for the divisive politics you all seem obsessed with. I will applaud Disney if it makes more original, fresh, entertaining content again. And I will criticise them when they continue to wheel out the kind of lazy, cynical, creatively moribund material they are responsible for in recent years.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Keep accepting the dreck Disney and other companies like to put out, and nothing ever gets better. I only single them out in this thread because the thread is about a Disney film. 

The fact you’re comparing Dial Of Destiny to The Batman suggests you’ve lost sensible perspective.

You’re clearly trying to bring some sort of political angle into this, which I am entirely uninterested in. I will applaud Disney if it makes more original, fresh, entertaining content again.

Dude… you are a fan of a series rebooted like 6 times since the eighties. If you don’t understand that The Batman is just as much as Indiana Jones, with the caveat that at very least there is something truly meaningful about one actor revisiting his most famous role, I don’t know what to tell you. If you don’t understand this, if you truly believe that The Batman isn’t a "cynical cash grab", although I do love The Batman and TDK, then any discussion is pointless. And yes, everything is political. Art is political. Criticizing art is clearly political and I’m not sure what of my post there to you made you think about this being political, but you are right. It is. 

And I’m sorry, Batfan, that Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny doesn’t have the artistical integrity of The Batman, or isn’t original and fresh enough, or not  "not political enough" for you to feel it’s fresh. Maybe when the inevitable reboot comes, yeah?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xavier said:

It's crazy to think that Indy 5 was at one time considered to top the summer box office. I don't know what the hell happened, but it seems people liked... Super Mario more than spending some time with a cinematic legend...

There's irrational hate here, it's not only that they will not see it, they want it to actually bomb. It makes no sense to me, not coming from people who follow other (and much more cookie cutter) franchises anyway. And the argument about cynical cash grab and whatnot? Pleeeease, this is not a Yorgos Lanthimos movie, it's blockbuster film making...

Yeah, that's embarrassing. Characters like Critical Drinker may think they have some sophisticated taste (which is not the case at all), but they praise and consoome even more cynical and poorly made product than the one they criticize at the same time.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I just hope the movie is good.

Box office wise, I wonder if best case scenario it still loses money, but gets a good enough response that it legs out and isn't a total bomb.

If it pulls an Elemental that might be a victory tbh.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Yeah, that's embarrassing. Characters like Critical Drinker may think they have some sophisticated taste (which is not the case at all), but they praise and consoome even more cynical and poorly made product than the one they criticize at the same time.

Don’t consume bad shit, you all. Gladly ignorant of who this character is, but heard stories before.

6 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even if I’m the last one standing, I think that the whole Disney factory line argument is a bunch of bullshit. Disney factory line isn’t different than WB’s factory line, or Universal’s, Paramount’s and Sony’s for that matter. It’s a bunch of crap that is used to sustain a narrative that has literally no merit when we look at the facts, since the numbers that Disney keeps getting at the box office doesn’t sustain the narrative. 

If you think that The Batman or what have you prefer as "standalone stories for DC characters" isn’t a cynical cash grab made by WB just like cinematic universes or sequels like Indiana Jones, then I have a bridge to sell it to you. Studios are in the business of making films that give them profits, and that’s all of them. Not just Disney. Singling out Disney only serves to feed a narrative that puts Disney as this big bad that it’s "replacing" and "killing" whatever some old farts think what the "American way" is.

Netflix might be as bad as Disney though, they are both shit. The difference I think is diveristy of product and scale of crimes. Killing 20th Century Fox was one of the biggest crimes a major studio ever commited (and how you can mishandle Alien even worse than all previous Fox regimes is just beyond me, it has to be on purpose). But I agree that technically something like The Flash is as cynical of a cashgrab as whatever similar product Disney releases. But unlike Dinsey WB can still create something special like Mad Max: Fury Road in between factory line crap or actually experiment with their IPs.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Don’t consume bad shit, you all. Gladly ignorant of who this character is, but heard stories before.

That guy is very popular among incels and far right crowd. His content is basically selectively complaing about modern Hollywood, espcially Disney and Lucas Film stuff, but at the same time praising other modern Disney and Lucas Film stuff that's no different from the one he criticizes, I think he's confused at this point, just like his audience, which he uses for rage baiting to generate clicks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Netflix might be as bad as Disney though, they are both shit. The difference I think is diveristy of product and scale of crimes. Killing 20th Century Fox was one of the biggest crimes a major studio ever commited (and how you can mishandle Alien even worse than all previous Fox regimes is just beyond me, it has to be on purpose). But I agree that technically something like The Flash is as cynical of a cashgrab as whatever similar product Disney releases. But unlike Dinsey WB can still create something special like Mad Max: Fury Road in between factory line crap or actually experiment with their IPs.

Huh? Last I checked, Disney hasn’t released a single Alien film since buying Fox. 

• Like 4