Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 hours ago, Belakor said:

Yeah for sure, the same can be said for Star Wars

Star Wars was the result of Lucas having a good idea for a premise and then a bunch of people telling him ‘no’ on much stupider ideas he wanted to include. 

Hearing stories about development of various Indy films he was much the same, with Spielberg acting as the buffer. My guess is that for crystal skull Spielberg got bored of saying ‘no George’ so much. The mcguffin alone has Lucas written all over it. 

Edited by Hatebox

On 7/5/2023 at 7:46 AM, dudalb said:

You really have no idea of how movies are made, do you?

You really need to understand my post properly before making stupid comments like that. Dumbass.

just saw it and i thought it was.....ok.

My expectations were a 2/10, and i thought it was a 5/10 film.

There is a lot in the film i hate, and i'm not going to go into detail as it will just cause arguing (Helena, yeah no).

But at the same time i cant deny that it was better than my extremely low expectation. Its also quite an interesting plot if you like history.

Alas i look at it as we will always have the orig trilogy, and this film and Crystal Skull dont change that.

Ratings -

Raiders/Temple of Doom - 10/10

Last Crusade - 9/10

Destiny/Crystal Skull - 5/10

Edited by stuart360

1 hour ago, HesAPooka said:

Who the hell goes in expecting a movie to be 2/10?

"Yes, I'd like to order the oysters I hear their horrible" lol.

Maybe Stuart was dragged, and did not want to go, but the group voted.  Maybe Stuart had some money to spare and wanted to see if he was wrong.  Maybe Stuart likes watching terrible movies.  

10 minutes ago, Human said:

Maybe Stuart was dragged, and did not want to go, but the group voted.  Maybe Stuart had some money to spare and wanted to see if he was wrong.  Maybe Stuart likes watching terrible movies.  

Maybe Stuart likes hyperbole like everyone else online.

I guess it was not terrible. I actually really liked where it went in the final act and it was fun at times. PWB was fine, Ford was engaged etc but at the same time I was never really that much into it. It's just the premise of having to have 80 year old Ford being at the centre of the action that kind of tanks this movie and all the good things it has going for it. Every action set piece felt like it was going on for too long because they clearly tried to cut around as much as possible from Ford, cut away from his running so we don't have 20 moments like DeNiro in the Irishman kicking the guy in the sidewalk. And the less said about the de-aging stuff, the better.

But there's enough juice in the IJ premise and old-timey era, even in this movie that kinda makes me want them to do another one. Bite the bullet and recast, drop all the lore characters, ofc lower the budget way the fuck down and just do a solo adventure. It might actually work.

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, cause that worked so well for Han Solo.

Its going to happen at some point.

My personal opinion is Disney will wait around 10 years or so, and reboot the series with a new actor. Ford is entranched in the character but he will be 90, (or gone) by that point.

I wouldnt be surprised if this turns into a Bond situation, with a new actor ever 10-20 years.

The problem for me will be unlike Bond, Disney will really have to find the right actor to replace Ford, or audiences just wont be on board.

51 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Why do people keep assuming that Indiana Jones has much value as a brand without Harrison Ford? What is supposed to set Indiana Jones apart from his imitators, if not Harrison Ford? 

The most valuable thing isn’t the brand nor Harrison Ford but the concept. How many franchises or original movies that depict the life of adventurer with the plot of going around the world, uncover secrets, fighting bad guys, full of mystery, focused on ancient history lore and fun real life world journey??? Just a few and almost none. But Indiana Jones have all of that. Disney will try to reboot or resurrect it sometimes later in future cause there’ll always be opportunity to make some money from those demographics that loves this kind of stories and some audiences who are tired of the same kind of movies hence looking for something different like this one.

Now we all don’t know if IJ still a valuable brand or not. So Disney probably will reboot it first to rely on nostalgia. If it failed then Disney would abandon it and create new franchises that similar concept to IJ. 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:29 AM, dxmatrixdt said:

which one do you think George Lucas likes more, Crystal Skull or Dial of Destiny?  we all know he likes those more than the original trilogy.

CS has BIG Lucas energy, it’s undeniably his favorite of all of them lol. 

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

CS has BIG Lucas energy, it’s undeniably his favorite of all of them lol. 

If you just bracket the fact that Crystal Skull doesn't work for audiences, and engage with it on its own terms, there's a lot of really fun, clever stuff in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Claudio said:

How many franchises or original movies that depict the life of adventurer with the plot of going around the world, uncover secrets, fighting bad guys, full of mystery, focused on ancient history lore and fun real life world journey??? Just a few and almost none.

There's a reason for that.

(And it's closely related to this being a massive bomb outside of the G7 countries)

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

So is Indy 5 a flop or disappointment?

Huge flop. I see a lot of people are trying to make out that it's not really that bad. But it is. A 295 million film with 100 more at least on promotion, making only 250 million total after two weekends is a film that will lose Disney a lot of money.

Edited by FunkMiller
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Claudio said:

The most valuable thing isn’t the brand nor Harrison Ford but the concept. How many franchises or original movies that depict the life of adventurer with the plot of going around the world, uncover secrets, fighting bad guys, full of mystery, focused on ancient history lore and fun real life world journey??? Just a few and almost none. But Indiana Jones have all of that. Disney will try to reboot or resurrect it sometimes later in future cause there’ll always be opportunity to make some money from those demographics that loves this kind of stories and some audiences who are tired of the same kind of movies hence looking for something different like this one.

Now we all don’t know if IJ still a valuable brand or not. So Disney probably will reboot it first to rely on nostalgia. If it failed then Disney would abandon it and create new franchises that similar concept to IJ. 

FSWo9ajWYAEQMgM.jpgUncharted is popular but it started out as a video game.

Studios also keep trying to make Lara Croft happen.

• Like 1