Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

Has there been any post-release industry scuttlebutt about any kind of fallout over this? Feels oddly quiet on that front. Though I suppose this is more of a "death by a thousand papercuts" situation rather than a Heaven's Gate type of thing where there's an easy and obvious scapegoat to point to. Then again, maybe everyone's just waiting for the end of the financial year...

Something that strikes me in hindsight is that this project wasn't treated at all like a franchise film by Disney, and from what I hear they were never particularly interested in Indiana Jones as a property (even if mostly because Paramount still has some kind of stake in it). This was definitely a one-off the entire way, with pretty much zero attempt to reach any new/young audience at all in the marketing or the production itself.

The impression I get is that this was a prestige picture of sorts for the studio. Despite all the ostensible action scenes I did not come out of the theater feeling like I'd just seen an action movie. Seems to me they treated the project more like some kind of epic period piece drama with a lot of scenes that look and feel an awful lot like a rollicking Indiana Jones adventure but were never fully committed to actually being one, and that that was by design. Even the choice of director and the two major co-stars (Waller-Bridge and Mikkelson) feel more like appealing to "credibility" than marketability. And of course, the laser-focus on Harrison Ford and HIS FINAL TURN AS INDIANA JONES SERIOUSLY HE MIGHT DIE SOON, the push to debut it so early at Cannes, etc...

...I guess where I'm going with this is I suspect the ultimate plan was to try to get Harrison Ford an Oscar, lol.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

some data:

According to new data from television analytics firm Samba TV, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny was watched by 474k domestic households in its first six days on VOD.

For comparison, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was viewed by 482k households in the United States during its first five days on VOD in August 2023.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse was watched by 321k domestic households during its first six days on VOD in August 2023. 

https://thedirect.com/article/indiana-jones-5-disney-plus-release-online-viewership?fbclid=IwAR3oQSqjtce9ixcEs_fgYOBctWIDMDijnm3d4RMVK1WIN4rTCkwrI8d7Cqs

• Like 2

On 9/11/2023 at 1:15 PM, Daf said:

Has there been any post-release industry scuttlebutt about any kind of fallout over this? Feels oddly quiet on that front. Though I suppose this is more of a "death by a thousand papercuts" situation rather than a Heaven's Gate type of thing where there's an easy and obvious scapegoat to point to. Then again, maybe everyone's just waiting for the end of the financial year...

Something that strikes me in hindsight is that this project wasn't treated at all like a franchise film by Disney, and from what I hear they were never particularly interested in Indiana Jones as a property (even if mostly because Paramount still has some kind of stake in it). This was definitely a one-off the entire way, with pretty much zero attempt to reach any new/young audience at all in the marketing or the production itself.

The impression I get is that this was a prestige picture of sorts for the studio. Despite all the ostensible action scenes I did not come out of the theater feeling like I'd just seen an action movie. Seems to me they treated the project more like some kind of epic period piece drama with a lot of scenes that look and feel an awful lot like a rollicking Indiana Jones adventure but were never fully committed to actually being one, and that that was by design. Even the choice of director and the two major co-stars (Waller-Bridge and Mikkelson) feel more like appealing to "credibility" than marketability. And of course, the laser-focus on Harrison Ford and HIS FINAL TURN AS INDIANA JONES SERIOUSLY HE MIGHT DIE SOON, the push to debut it so early at Cannes, etc...

...I guess where I'm going with this is I suspect the ultimate plan was to try to get Harrison Ford an Oscar, lol.

Disney just assumed the brand was strong enough to pull people in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Disney just assumed the brand was strong enough to pull people in. 

This and they clearly thought it was going to come out of Cannes with rapturous reviews. Instead those early bad reviews had a month to kill any possible buzz for this film in the cradle. Between this and Elemental, I think it's a safe bet that Disney doesn't take another blockbuster to Cannes again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, never ever gonna happen. For one, anytime Disney announces this park stuff as something that “might” happen, it doesn’t. And there’s 0% chance they will throw the money at a major new Indy attraction after what happened with this movie. 

Normally, I think you'd be right BUT versions of the Indiana Jones ride already exist in Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. The Disneyland version is VERY popular. More importantly, DINOSAUR, the ride this would be replacing uses the same vehicle system and same track layout as the Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland, so this would be by far their cheapest and fastest option for a redo. I wouldn't bet against Disney doing the lazy thing here and slapping in a replica of a popular pre-existing attraction.

6 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Why are they framing this as a 130M loss? It's a pretty atypical use. "The corporate entity Disney set up to make IJ5 reports a 130M loss" != Disney's reasonable projected P&L estimate for the film.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

It lost 200+ mln, they lowball loses.

Did you read the article?  For one thing, they got nearly $60m from the UK.

Now the article notes it doesn't mention how much it spend on promotion, but it also mentions that it doesn't now how much it made on PVOD/physical sales.

Mind there is an awful lot of commentary sprinkled throughout the article, especially when it gets to the board fight at the end.  But the not-small amount of money from the UK is in fact part of the equation here.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

sounds generous to be honest 

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

It lost 200+ mln, they lowball loses.

Someone threw together a personal regression analysis of deadline's P&L estimates and came up with an estimated loss of 165M with a 300M budget. Given this takes it up to ~320M, it seems like it's likely in 175-200M range. 

• Like 1

I don't want to be ageist but this film was doomed from conception. Harrison is too old (mind you, I watched the latest MI before it and thought the same about Cruise). After this 1-2 punch I think action films should be with young actors period.