Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

Huge flop. I see a lot of people are trying to make out that it's not really that bad. But it is. A 295 million film with 100 more at least on promotion, making only 250 million total after two weekends is a film that will lose Disney a lot of money.

I heard about some of the depressing things that happen in Dial and maybe Crystal really should have been the last Indy.

• Like 1

This is not one of the biggest bombs of all times. You are being ridiculous.

It's not gonna gross much less than Dune and that one got a sequel, with much more of the gross coming from the US.

I imagine it will do nicely on VOD and home video and eventually make back much of its expenses.

Nevertheless, a rather big disappointment gross wise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I imagine it will do nicely on VOD and home video and eventually make back much of its expenses.

No film makes that much on home media anymore.

https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2022

It is losing so much money home media will not even put a dent in it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

It's not gonna gross much less than Dune and that one got a sequel, with much more of the gross coming from the US.

Dune had a 165m budget, Indy 5 has a 300-330m, budget.

They are not the same at all, and Indy 5 probably isn't even matching Dune's gross anyways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

They are not the same at all, and Indy 5 probably isn't even matching Dune's gross anyways.

Given how both films look, how in the name of hell does Dune cost 165 million and Dial cost twice almost that? 

And yeah, Dial making 400 million is a catastrophe. That's a good 100 million dollars lost for Disney - at least.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

These budget figures need to be taken with a big grain of salt. Depending on where you look, different numbers get reported. And people take the ones that fit their narrative best.

These budget figures need to be taken with a big grain of salt. Depending on where you look, different numbers get reported. And people take the ones that fit their narrative best.

The lowest estimations are 295M with hordes on reshoots not included. None of that should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Even if it’s on the low end with only $295 million it’s still a disaster. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elessar said:

budget is 329 million according to Deadline with Indiewire now saying 350-400m not including marketing

it is likely heading to be the biggest bomb of all time 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, FunkMiller said:

Given how both films look, how in the name of hell does Dune cost 165 million and Dial cost twice almost that? 

And yeah, Dial making 400 million is a catastrophe. That's a good 100 million dollars lost for Disney - at least.

I liked the film, but I just don't see where the hell 350 to 400 Million dollars went. I can't see it costing more then 200 Million dollars from what is on the screen. And if you you spend money on something that is no on the screen, it is wasted money.

If Speilberg had directed it would not have cost that much.

I think a lot of these huge budgets overruns are becaouse of just plain inefficency and sloppy filmaking. I don't think studios can keep up these kind of massive costs through sheer laziness.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Sure, why not 500m, makes for better headlines...

I am a huge Indy fan, and overall liked Dial, but let's stick to reality. The film is going to be a big bomb. Maybe not the biggests in history, but still a painful hit for Disney.

I beleive , in the end, it is better to accept reality then to try to deny it...something far too many fanboys like to do.

• Like 3

It's insane how much this cost, but probably the big differences between this and something like Dune is a massive payday for Harrison Ford, Spielberg even as just an executive producer probably got a large payout, Dune was shot pre-covid so no covid delays or testing protocols, Dune was largely shot in a single location whereas this production was shot across six, Indy 5 had a decade of development so all those costs ad up, and this movie has a 25 minute action sequence where they de-aged their star by 40 years which probably wasn't cheap.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

It's insane how much this cost, but probably the big differences between this and something like Dune is a massive payday for Harrison Ford, Spielberg even as just an executive producer probably got a large payout, Dune was shot pre-covid so no covid delays or testing protocols, Dune was largely shot in a single location whereas this production was shot across six, Indy 5 had a decade of development so all those costs ad up, and this movie has a 25 minute action sequence where they de-aged their star by 40 years which probably wasn't cheap.

All of this+Spielberg was attached to direct at one point so he got paid for that as well as exec producer and all of those locations? Under COVID protocols, which upped the budget tenfold (MI7 had the same thing happen to it, it cost around the same as Indy if reports are to be believed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

I realize that, but still cannot see how this cost more then 200 Million, unless there was plain incompetence  and laziness involved.

Edited by dudalb