A Marvel Fanboy

Dredd (September 21, 2012)

I just read that Dredd 3D is the first 18-rated film to open at number one in the UK in quite some time.

That's because films with an 18 certificate are much more rare than they used to be. Edited by Jessie

2 Rotten reviews! noooooooRT consensus:Fueled by bombastic violence and impressive special effects, rooted in self-satire and deadpan humor, Dredd 3D is a rare example of a remake that actually works.

It took more reviews than The Dark Knight Rises to reach its first rotten review, I think.

Wait, am I reading its rt score right?? A 95% after 44 reviews!?! Wow, that's unbelievable. The trailers and marketing have been terrible and make it look bad so I'm completely shocked by the reviews so far...perhaps I will have to check this out now.

• Like 1

Wait, am I reading its rt score right?? A 95% after 44 reviews!?! Wow, that's unbelievable. The trailers and marketing have been terrible and make it look bad so I'm completely shocked by the reviews so far...perhaps I will have to check this out now.

"The trailer is terrible, the trailer is terrible." Why is it terrible? I have yet to hear a valid reason. Explain to me in concrete, non-subjective terms what is so awful about it. Otherwise, I'll be inclined to support the trailer's non-terribleness based on 90% 'like' rate on Youtube and the 95% 'want to see' rate on RT...and this despite the fact that most of the film is unsuitable for general audiences. :P

Also, the marketing has been just fine. Good TV spots, a nifty viral campaign, two high-profile premieres at SDCC and TIFF, and everyone involved has been plugging the hell out of the thing. I doubt Lionsgate could do any better than they have done to overcome the stigma of the previous film and create interest in this one.

• Like 2

Just saw this and I am now buzzing!Karl Urban absolutely nails Dredd, spot on.2 months ago I was expecting this to be a bit of a turd, and now I've just come out of the theater singing it's praises!P.S. YoursTruly, I also don't get the hate for the trailer, but whatever.

I also thought the trailer sucked, but it's hard to say what was lacking because you can't prove a negative.But I'm glad to hear the film's good, because the source material deserved a decent adaptation.

One could simply say the trailer didn't make it look like your cup o' tea.

Just saw this and I am now buzzing!Karl Urban absolutely nails Dredd, spot on.2 months ago I was expecting this to be a bit of a turd, and now I've just come out of the theater singing it's praises!P.S. YoursTruly, I also don't get the hate for the trailer, but whatever.

Lol I've been reading people's reactions to this over at somethingawful and they've all pretty much said they walked out with fat grins on their faces. I can't wait to see this.
  • Like 1

The best part is that if it manages to hit 50m. (hopefully), there'll be a sequel, bigger and better.P.S.: And if we were allowed to dream, just imagine THIS taking the place of the horrible Resident Evil "franchise"... now THAT would be something!

Edited by shayhiri