Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: Elysium 30.5M; Millers 26.55M; Planes 22.53M; Percy Jackson 14.6M Pg 29

I don't understand the logic of a Percy Jackson sequel.

Did the studio think it was going to magically (pun intended) become the next Harry Potter?

It's rather baffling. Even Harry Potter peaked with the first one in terms of attendance and Percy Jackson was a lot less popular to begin with...maybe they thought 3D and overseas could save it? It would be different if the series had become more of a pop culture thing since 2010 but unless I totally missed it that hasn't been the case.

• Founder / Operator

Thanks. So more than 50% drop then. I thought it'd have a better leg since the competitions weren't that strong.

I think it's biggest problem at this point is an extreme lack of appeal to kids. The competition for the adult audience is very strong (2 Guns, Elysium, Millers). Most comic book movies are able to withstand that mid-level range of competition because of kids and families, but Wolverine has lost them.

• Like 1

I think it's biggest problem at this point is an extreme lack of appeal to kids. The competition for the adult audience is very strong (2 Guns, Elysium, Millers). Most comic book movies are able to withstand that mid-level range of competition because of kids and families, but Wolverine has lost them.

True.. It seems only movies with kids appeal can develop good leg these days.. -_-

• Like 2