Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: Elysium 30.5M; Millers 26.55M; Planes 22.53M; Percy Jackson 14.6M Pg 29

I'd seen bits of the BR manga years ago and what I saw of the film (30 mins), disappointed me. It didn't seem scary or awful enough. I felt nothing as they started killing each other. Clearly my imagination is better than what they put on film.THG didn't have that problem for me. In fact the pre-games build up was super tense. As they were counting down, I was literally at the edge of my seat.

The build up in THG was good, it's the game part that let me down. I think I anticipated it to be more upbeat and action-packed after all that trainings.

The build up in THG was good, it's the game part that let me down. I think I anticipated it to be more upbeat and action-packed after all that trainings.

It was the opposite for me, I wasn't expecting the Cornucopia scene to be so bloody. I thought it would be that they took their bag and ran off into the woods to wait it out. That burst of violence at the start caught me off guard.

I'd seen bits of the BR manga years ago and what I saw of the film (30 mins), disappointed me. It didn't seem scary or awful enough. I felt nothing as they started killing each other. Clearly my imagination is better than what they put on film.THG didn't have that problem for me. In fact the pre-games build up was super tense. As they were counting down, I was literally at the edge of my seat.

The BR manga is indeed really scary, and very graphic too. One of the best (or worst) things that makes BR games so brutal, mind numbing and sick, is that the kids know each other, they're classmates, some are best friends growing up with each other even. I don't think the movie captured that angle well, but I think it's a pretty good adaptation still. Manga is the true shit though.

It was the opposite for me, I wasn't expecting the Cornucopia scene to be so bloody. I thought it would be that they took their bag and ran off into the woods to wait it out. That burst of violence at the start caught me off guard.

That scene was great, too bad it's one last exciting part of the game. :P As you can probably tell I'm not the movie's target audience..lol.

No matter what they did, not everyone would have liked it. If they had made it Rated R and a bloodfest, there would be people who loved the gore, and then the people who hated it because it was too gory. And vice versa. Honestly, would I have liked a bit more violence (not blood persay, but to see more), of course. Clove's death should have been what the book had, but they changed it and it was kind of eh. Overall I thought the games were effective and should show that gore does not equal scary.

The BR manga is indeed really scary, and very graphic too. One of the best (or worst) things that makes BR games so brutal, mind numbing and sick, is that the kids know each other, they're classmates, some are best friends growing up with each other even. I don't think the movie captured that angle well, but I think it's a pretty good adaptation still. Manga is the true shit though.

I wish I could read the manga, it sounds amazing. What I like a lot about the game in BR was that it had the time limit, like those kids had to complete the game within 3 days or they'd all die. :)

I wish I could read the manga, it sounds amazing What I like a lot about the game in BR was that it had the time limit, like those kids had to complete the game within 3 days or they'd all die. :)

It's available to read online, if you have time and want to, I'll find you a link.
  • Like 2

The manga version is very hardcore. I'm fluent in Japanese so I used to read it on the weekly magazine in Japan. Brutal shit.I think BR vs. THG can be argued both ways, but for me, when I read the original Japanese BR book in the 90's and randomly picking THG a few years ago, I really thought it was a remake or something. That's just me but that's how I felt it. I've read Lord of the Flies countless times but never felt the same.Edit: As a movie and a book, BR is superior IMO with the similarity-argument put aside

Edited by bballman24
  • Like 2

Yes, it's in English. I have to warn you though, it's really really graphic, definitely hardcore R, so uhm, prepare yourself?! :lol:Here's the link: http://mangafox.me/manga/battle_royale/Try reading the first chapter or something, if it doesn't work, I'll find you another site.

Thanks. Just realise it's the same site I normally read Berserk's new chapters (am a huge fan of that manga). Didn't think about finding another comic before, silly me. :sadno:

Don't worry nothing's too graphic for me. Saw is one of my favourite franchises. :lol:

• Like 1

The thing about the movie that really confused me is that it is called Hunger Games and yet no one went hungry in the film.  Ever.

This was actually my biggest issue with the movie. The only thing they really cut out of the book was

Katniss starving and becoming dehydrated for the first few days of the Games. One of my favorite part of the books, and it was the only thing cut out.

<_<