Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: Elysium 30.5M; Millers 26.55M; Planes 22.53M; Percy Jackson 14.6M Pg 29

And saying it is a rip off isn't even an insult. It's the same as saying the red on your car is same red on my car. It's just a fact.I have nothing against THG at all but I have zero desire to see the next one after seeing the first one.

I don't have anything against it either but I am the same as you.  I have no desire to see the next one and if I do it will be at a drive in or I will sneak into it.  I won't pay to see the next one.

I understand why it's more popular as well.  It's in English for one, it's more Utopian than Dystopian and it's written by an American and its a lot more optimistic than pessimistic.  The ending of BR ends the way it should end, THG ends to make it popular.  And that's fine.  Selling books is a good thing.  But doesn't change the fact that it's a rip off.

BR had too many characters as well so you had no idea who to care for. As soon as you started to know some of the characters, they died. I enjoy BR more because the 'game' part was so much more cruel and exciting but I admit THG's easier to watch.

Disagree. 

Your logic then dictates that "Hey, Hmmm. A  brilliant billionaire that uses high tech gadgets to fight against crime and evil without superpowers....guess who it is???

some raise their hands for Batman

Some raise their hands for Iron Man

Woah woah woah!!! Wait a sec! Iron Man is a rip off of Batman then apparently!!!  -_-

Edited by k1stpierre
  • Like 1

Your logic then dictates that "Hey, Hmmm. A  brilliant billionaire that uses high tech gadgets to fight against crime and evil without superpowers....guess who it is???

some raise their hands for Batman

Some raise their hands for Iron Man

Woah woah woah!!! Wait a sec! Iron Man is a rip off of Batman then apparently!!!  -_-

Ok, seriously that's one of the dumbest posts I've read.  You're smarter than that.  I'll back out of this now.  You like THG, I don't.  I'll leave it at that for now.  

I understand why it's more popular as well.  It's in English for one, it's more Utopian than Dystopian and it's written by an American and its a lot more optimistic than pessimistic.  The ending of BR ends the way it should end, THG ends to make it popular.  And that's fine.  Selling books is a good thing.  But doesn't change the fact that it's a rip off.

It's not utopian.

Ok, seriously that's one of the dumbest posts I've read.  You're smarter than that.  I'll back out of this now.  You like THG, I don't.  I'll leave it at that for now.

But you're saying the same thing; "Kids killing kids in a game" it's either BR or THG. Therefore THG is a rip off.

But that's how dumb the argument sounds, lol. You're basing them just on the fact that kids kill one another. That's that. Both Batman and Iron Man are brilliant, billionairs and don't have super powers, but fight crime with gadgets. But of course they aren't the same, because the whole story/set up is entirely different.

Which again, proves my point between HG vs BR.

• Like 1

The games in the movie were very pg.  Maybe in the book it did a much better job of......

Never mind.  You guys like it, I'm not going to change your mind.

I don't and you won't mine either.

In what sense? A utopia is a specific thing, where society is idealised and perfect. THG certainly doesn't take place in a world that people would want to idealise.

In which the Capital is most definitely NOT idealised or perfect (well, techinicall THEY are perfect in the sense they have everything, but not in the society sense). It's dystopian. And pretty much like a dictatorship with one in charge.

But imo that's what made BR more realistic.  People died and they died poorly.

I know, that's why I enjoyed it more. The 'game' in BR felt more real, I felt no tension watching THG. In fact the game part was the weakest part in THG.

And it's funny that I knew the characters in BR no more than a few minutes but when they got killed it felt tragic and sad. I stayed with the characters in THG a lot longer than that but their deaths had no impact on me at all.

• Like 1

The games in the movie were very pg.  Maybe in the book it did a much better job of......

Never mind.  You guys like it, I'm not going to change your mind.

I don't and you won't mine either.

In that argument, I will agree. Lionsgate wanted more money, so they made it pg-13 and the games were a bit diluted of the violence. Some deaths were changed. The book was more violent and would have been rated R.

I'd seen bits of the BR manga years ago and what I saw of the film (30 mins), disappointed me. It didn't seem scary or awful enough. I felt nothing as they started killing each other. Clearly my imagination is better than what they put on film.THG didn't have that problem for me. In fact the pre-games build up was super tense. As they were counting down, I was literally at the edge of my seat.

• Like 1