Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

28 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

I hope DP2 breaks out. People enjoyed DP2 trailers alot. Gauging this i hope it overperforms as first one was very well received after its theatrical performance. Hindi version has been dubbed by Ranveer singh and views are huge in YT. 

Hopefully it surprises like AIW! 

It will do better than the first one but I doubt it will perform at Thor 3/Smh/BP level. There are several things eorking against it as well

1)Many people already got their SH fill from IW

2)It will be butchered by the censor board so many people, like me, would prefer to wait for its online release on streaming, etc to watch the whole uncut movie. Many people will just straight up torrent it to see the uncut version

3) its coming out in middle of the fasting for Muslims so thats at least 10-15% of the demographic largely not going to the movie which will affect it slightly. 

4) the first one despite being well received did not make much money

5) Its rated A so anyone under 18 is not allowed. I know many theatres are lax about this but many do enforce the age restrictions. Some teenagers might buy a ticket for another movie and see this instead. Families will also stay away due to its adult nature. All of this leads to money lost

6) it seems to be not in 3d which again is money lost. Plus it has not yet been opened for booking in IMAX/4dx so maybe IW keeps those screens? If true then that is again money lost

Edited by ZeeSoh

Deadpool has blown past my expectations and is on track for a 6.2m OW in India. For comparision that is way way more than the first part made in its entire run!

At this rate it will become one of the highest grossing SH movies here that are not named Avengers or Spiderman. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

wow, great years for a comic book  movie in India! 

now i think JW 2 will have a big OW

I dont see hype as big as JW looks kinda muted. Lets see if it picks up as we get close to the release date!

• Astonished 1

JW2 trailer got great reception when it played before DP2 in my theatre. There's something about watching dinos on big screen, it always looks great.  What we also need to remember is the last one made 22M in India which is absolutely monstrous but what makes it even more impressive is that it's 1st weekend was only 5.5M The lifetime business quadrupled OW business. The only HW movie to have better WOM than JW in India this decade is TJB. I expect JW2 to cross 30M with ease unless it sucks.

18 minutes ago, Nostalgia said:

Jurassic World 2 will do fine ...over 30m USD gross at ease..

200cr gross in lc..,,,considering its business will be affected down south as it is clashing with Superstar Rajinikanth's KAALA movie

and a week after that race 3 will affect its business up north. 

If the movie is really good or if 2 of those biggies above flops JW might have an advantage! Last one had very good legs close to 3.5x multiplier which is great for a hollywood biggie! Moreover last one had good hype before the release itself but lets hope this one gets good buzz closer to release!

Edited by John Rambo
Typo

This has been a really good year for Bollywood unlike 2017 which had like 2 hits in the first half, this year has seen a lot of hits and barely any disasters among the big releases.

Baaghi 2 and Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety were the 2 surprise breakouts with 150Cr+ and 100Cr+ respectively despite no big star names. Padmavat was huge, Raid, Hichki, 102 Not Out, Raazi did way better than expected and Padman, October and Pari were also moderate successes. Compare to 2017 when only Raees and Kaabil were hits through May. 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This has been a really good year for Bollywood unlike 2017 which had like 2 hits in the first half, this year has seen a lot of hits and barely any disasters among the big releases.

Baaghi 2 and Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety were the 2 surprise breakouts with 150Cr+ and 100Cr+ respectively despite no big star names. Padmavat was huge, Raid, Hichki, 102 Not Out, Raazi did way better than expected and Padman, October and Pari were also moderate successes. Compare to 2017 when only Raees and Kaabil were hits through May. 

Jolly LLB2 and Badrinath ki Dulhania were bigger hits than Raees. Moreover Kaabil was not even a success, it's box office collections given to media were totally wrong which is expected as Papa Roshan calculated them through his special calculator.

• Haha 1

I doubt JW2 gets to 30m USD. Only 2 hlwd movies have ever crossed that mark and both had insane hype not seen with JW2. 

Biggest issue for JW2 is that it clashes with Kaala down in south on release date and then Race 3 which comes out the week after which will be massive due to Salman Khan and Eid. JW2 is also coming out in middle of ramadan which will affect its gross a little. Schools also start a week after its release. 

Opening will be huge but legs wont be anything like the first one

I was wrong with Deadpool 2 though so who knows but I doubt I am wrong with this saying it wont do 30m

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Jolly LLB2 and Badrinath ki Dulhania were bigger hits than Raees. Moreover Kaabil was not even a success, it's box office collections given to media were totally wrong which is expected as Papa Roshan calculated them through his special calculator.

I’m pretty sure Raees outgrossed both of them in India as well as Worldwide unless wikipedia and articles/analysts are lying online. 

And lol but so true about the papa roshan part 😂

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

I’m pretty sure Raees outgrossed both of them in India as well as Worldwide unless wikipedia and articles/analysts are lying online. 

And lol but so true about the papa roshan part 😂

It's not about highest grosser but bigger hit. Raess budget was ~125cr whereas Jolly LLB2 and BKD was ~50cr. ROI of both JLLB2 and BKD was greater than Raees.

2 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

It's not about highest grosser but bigger hit. Raess budget was ~125cr whereas Jolly LLB2 and BKD was ~50cr. ROI of both JLLB2 and BKD was greater than Raees.

Oh ur calculating it that way. But a higher ROI does not mean a bigger hit, not to me at least. More people chose to watch Raees than Jolly and it made more money at the box office and that makes it a bigger hit for me. If ROI was the metric for assessing success then a small movie made on a tiny budget that makes a decent BO would be bigger success than the huge megahits made on huge budgets despite the megahits earning hundreds of crores more than the small hit. 

Is A Quiet Place a bigger hit than Infinity War because it has a better ROI?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Oh ur calculating it that way. But a higher ROI does not mean a bigger hit, not to me at least. More people chose to watch Raees than Jolly and it made more money at the box office and that makes it a bigger hit for me. If ROI was the metric for assessing success then a small movie made on a tiny budget that makes a decent BO would be bigger success than the huge megahits made on huge budgets despite the megahits earning hundreds of crores more than the small hit. 

The normal way to call a film hit is if it does atleast double of it's budget. Raess didn't do it. A good example will be tommorow land and john wick. Among these movies john wick os a hit movie and tm is not even tho tm did more.

15 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

ROI is not the only metric but it is applicable in this situation.

1) Raees budget - 125cr , India gross - 177cr, WW gross - 270cr

2) Jolly LLB2 budget - 50cr, India gross - 150cr, WW gross - 180cr

3) BKD budget - 50cr, India gross - 160cr, WW gross - 195cr

Now let's say hypothetically if Raees finished it's BO run at 200cr, even though more people saw it, it's verdict will be a flop as the money was lost on the movie. Would you still say it was the bigger hit?

This is why Jab Harry Met Sejal at 70cr dom is a flop but Pyar Ka Punchnama2 at 60cr is Superhit.

Coming to your second point AIW is a much bigger hit than AQP because the difference in collection is more than $1.5B. Not comparable at all whereas the 3 movies mentioned above did comparable business and 2 of those movies had less than half of 1st budget.  If AIW finished with something like 700M WW then yes AQP is the bigger hit.

FWIW, the metric that I follow is gross profit on a movie which I think is also more for JLLB2 and BKD.

This is my longest post on BOT :P

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oMeriMombatti said:

ROI is not the only metric but it is applicable in this situation.

1) Raees budget - 125cr , India gross - 177cr, WW gross - 270cr

2) Jolly LLB2 budget - 50cr, India gross - 150cr, WW gross - 180cr

3) BKD budget - 50cr, India gross - 160cr, WW gross - 195cr

Now let's say hypothetically if Raees finished it's BO run at 200cr, even though more people saw it, it's verdict will be a flop as the money was lost on the movie. Would you still say it was the bigger hit?

This is why Jab Harry Met Sejal at 70cr dom is a flop but Pyar Ka Punchnama2 at 60cr is Superhit.

Coming to your second point AIW is a much bigger hit than AQP because the difference in collection is more than $1.5B. Not comparable at all whereas the 3 movies mentioned above did comparable business and 2 of those movies had less than half of 1st budget.  If AIW finished with something like 700M WW then yes AQP is the bigger hit.

FWIW, the metric that I follow is gross profit on a movie which I think is also more for JLLB2 and BKD.

This is my longest post on BOT :P

If not for the clash Raees was a potential 175cr grosser if not more. It didn't reach its potential. Negative reviews by paid critics, fake figures by rakesh roshan were in circulation which made people think Kaabil is a better movie than Raees! 

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I doubt JW2 gets to 30m USD. Only 2 hlwd movies have ever crossed that mark and both had insane hype not seen with JW2. 

Biggest issue for JW2 is that it clashes with Kaala down in south on release date and then Race 3 which comes out the week after which will be massive due to Salman Khan and Eid. JW2 is also coming out in middle of ramadan which will affect its gross a little. Schools also start a week after its release. 

Opening will be huge but legs wont be anything like the first one

I was wrong with Deadpool 2 though so who knows but I doubt I am wrong with this saying it wont do 30m

Wrong with DP2? I dont think so! What was your expectation?

Deadpool 2 Drops Badly On Monday

Deadpool 2 dropped badly on Monday which was on the cards considering what happened over the weekend. The film grossed 4 crore nett apprx on Monday which is around 55-60% lower than first day. The first week looks to be heading for 41 crore nett which is decent for the film but the problem is that the film has not been appreciated especially the dubbed versions which will mean further drops after the first week. 

The film saw drops in all versions on Monday though the English versions have far better occupancy. Black Panther grossed around 55 crore nett and was also not appreciated in dubbed versions and this film will find it tough to reach the Black Panther level despite a far better opening.

The first weekend business of Deadpool 2 is as follows,.

Friday - 9,50,00,000 apprx

Saturday - 8,75,00,000 apprx

Sunday - 9,25,00,000  apprx

Monday - 4,00,00,000 apprx

Total - 31,50,00,000 apprx

=================================

Around 57% drop from Sunday which is a bit steep as the article says. I dont have comparisions but IW dropped only 37%. However IW had the benefit of partial holiday on Monday and partial holiday on Tuesday which cushioned its drops so cant really compare. 

It also wont help Deadpool that ER has gone down significantly in the last few days. When IW opened it was close to 66/1 usd and now it is at 68/usd. Thats the highest in a year and quickly approaching the all time high

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

Solo shows finially listed for prebooking just 1 day and few hours before opening. For comparision IW and even deadpool opened many days in advance. 

Even on Wednesday night the number of theatres and screens listed are abysmally low. But what is even lower is the amount of ticket sold. 

Only 1 of the 3 IMAX has shows listed for the weekend and not a single ticket has been sold when usually IMAX shows are the first to get full. Most of the other shows in normal 3d too have no tickets sold yet and those that have sold have only sold a few. 

This emoticon perfectly captures Solo’s performance in India :hahaha:

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Haha 1