RyneOh1040

Weekend Estimates - The Butler 17.0 Millers 13.5 TWE 8.94

I don't see TWE expanding, it's as wide as it's going to get.

It has the best PTA in the Top20; don't know how Focus handles this (usually they start with much fewer theaters) but I can very well imagine a slight expansion to, say, 2000 theaters. Probably won't reach beyond the urban crowd so more than 2000 would be useless anyway.

Seems like there will be 2 100m movies from August. Awesome summer for the boxoffice this year. The summer season has been awesome, there hasn't be a summer season before that has done more than 4,3bn in the box office, but this year we are already into 4,550bn and could well do past 4,7bn. 

For The Butler it could produce the legs of The Help from 2011 and end with over 120m. 

I think TWE will have better legs than the other Wright films, since Freeman and Pegg have bigger recognition nowadays and the premise is much more easy to explain imo.

I dont know how a "Pub Crawl with Alien Robots" is more easy to explain than "British Zombie Comedy" or "Big Cop, Small Town"

• Like 1

GU2 will do about 135. Thats close to 85% retention from the first. Pretty good...actually very good.

Comedies are not well known for their sequel to make more than the originals, so that is awesome. Other than American Pie 2 and Meet the Fockers I don't any other who made more than the original. 

I dont know how a "Pub Crawl with Alien Robots" is more easy to explain than "British Zombie Comedy" or "Big Cop, Small Town"

Everyone knows what a pub crawl is, and aliens are more accessible than zombies I think. Hot Fuzz is explainable easily, but not to explain how funny it is IMO

So what expands next weekend? We know Trek and WWZ are reopening as a 3D double feature. Man of Steel is an option for IMAX because Mortal Instruments is tanking. I also have to imagine Disney will push IM3 big time (1500 screens) over the weekend. I would hope that Sony could get TITE over 100 with one last push but that seems unlikely. 

So what expands next weekend? We know Trek and WWZ are reopening as a 3D double feature. Man of Steel is an option for IMAX because Mortal Instruments is tanking. I also have to imagine Disney will push IM3 big time (1500 screens) over the weekend. I would hope that Sony could get TITE over 100 with one last push but that seems unlikely. 

Wait, what? When did this happen??

Here's what I know: Monsters University is returning to theaters, while Lone Ranger and Pacific Rim are hitting dollar theaters.
  • Like 1