Short Term 12 (2013)

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I wouldn't entirely disagree with some of the critiques I've read about the film (especially that, at spots, it's too visibly constructed for its own good), but while I was watching it, it was pretty much a cinematic equivalent of a live wire. One of the most immersive films I've seen in a while, and the most detailed, insightful exploration of the theme of human communication I've seen in years. (Before Midnight, name-checked earlier in this thread, is the only other 2013 film I can think of that's close to Short Term 12 in that sense). Also, for a film that never played at Sundance, it's better than the five most recent Sundance Grand Jury Prize winners combined. And the performances are all absolutely wonderful.

• Like 2

Easily one best movies of the year. So much heart was put in the film. I could feel each character in this movie. Such a wonderful experience. Brie was fanatic the best performance of the year. This movie does a great job at capturing real life experiences and real emotions that happen on daily bases.  

A

• Like 3

Wow....easily the biggest and best surprise of 2013.

Typically, my reviews tend to consist mainly of the reflections and overall impression a film had on me.  It's basically how I remember every movie I see in my mind.  I tend to not remember details but over-arching moods and feelings.  Well, Short Term 12 is simply the best kind of film there is.

For me, there's nothing quite like a drama that immerses you in its mood and atmosphere.  This was a draining watch in the best kind of way possible.  Amazing that a film as emotional as this didn't resort to manipulative mechanisms in any way.........at least in my opinion.

Could very well be the best of 2013.........powerhouse drama, plain and simple.
  • Like 1