baumer

Basic Instinct (1992)

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

You know a movie achieves its objective when you think that a character is sexier than the person that plays her. That is exactly what Catherine Tremell does. She exudes sex and that is exactly her game. She knows that she can play with people's minds by using her beauty and her sex appeal. And she does it so well.

The epitome of this is the interrogation scene. Much has been made about nudity in film but this is one of those movies where every breast and every shot of someone's crotch is done so to further the plot. The famous scene that we have all witnessed now is a major part of Tremell's M.O. She knows there are a room full of men asking her questions and she uses that sexuality to play with them. And it works.

The cast and the script and the direction are top notch and the movie feels like it is one big game. And Catherine Tremell is the ultimate game master. I really loved this film.

9/10

• Like 3

This movie was awesome when it came out and stirred up alot of shit over Stone uncrossing her legs.. Today, I would not want to see that of her..

Yea but 20 years ago she was the hottest thing on the planet.

Ever fucked on Coke, Nick?  It's nice.

Edited by baumer

It starts with Sharon Stone fucking a guy before puncturing his face into a bloody pulp with an ice pick. That definitely caught my attention.

I really, really loved this one. It is a movie of perverse pleasures. It's essentially a bunch of steamy sex, and a bunch of stab-happy ice pick action mixed with a really quite simple detective story.  And it's perfect. Verhoven elevates the sleazy material into something that's pure cinema.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Sharon Stone, what the hell happened ?

Her career could have been much more.

That glorious Jerry Goldsmith score, when Hollywood wasn't Zimmered yet ... those were the days.

Sharon Stone always claimed that Verhoeven told her he wasn't framing under her belt for that famous & glorious vulva shot.

Jan de Bont ( dutch like Verhoeven) was the director of photography for that film, yep, the guy who directed one of the best action flick ever : SPeed.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

Sharon Stone, what the hell happened ?

Her career could have been much more.

That glorious Jerry Goldsmith score, when Hollywood wasn't Zimmered yet ... those were the days.

Sharon Stone always claimed that Verhoeven told her he wasn't framing under her belt for that famous & glorious vulva shot.

Jan de Bont ( dutch like Verhoeven) was the director of photography for that film, yep, the guy who directed one of the best action flick ever : SPeed.

In which case, why didn't she wear panties or a crotch cover?

• Like 1

This is the only film I ever saw while in California.  Me and a buddy drove from London to LA and stayed there for a week.  We were supposed to be there for 10 days but we were told by some dude we had never met, that we should go back to Canada. The Rodney King trial was wrapping up and he (he was black) told us that if the verdict of the King trial wasn't what it should be, then there would be riots in LA.  

We left the next day.

But, I digress.  Great experience seeing in in LA.  I wonder what Tele was doing in 1991.

This is the only film I ever saw while in California.  Me and a buddy drove from London to LA and stayed there for a week.  We were supposed to be there for 10 days but we were told by some dude we had never met, that we should go back to Canada. The Rodney King trial was wrapping up and he (he was black) told us that if the verdict of the King trial wasn't what it should be, then there would be riots in LA. We left the next day. But, I digress.  Great experience seeing in in LA.  I wonder what Tele was doing in 1991.

Watching T2, probably. In Northern California. :P
  • Like 1

remember watching this at night when i was young. My mates brother had it on VHs. I borrowed it and  obviously paused it at everyone's favourite part but it wasn't very clear. Couple of months later my dad bought a Super VHS player. Touch of a button and the picture would sharpen. Man did it sharpen that picture for me lol

In-your-face erotic thriller plays like a Hitchcock movie on steroids, with tons of sex and violence. It's completely ridiculous...and wildly entertaining. Sharon Stone was born to play the icy Catherine, a bisexual woman so impossibly beautiful, rich, successful, intelligent and devious that she's basically a supernatural creature. This is a movie from a bygone era, when studios would throw buckets of money at directors and let them do their thing, and boy does Verhoeven let it rip here.

Bonus: stunning cinematography courtesy of future Speed director Jan de Bont and a memorable, tempestuous score by Jerry Goldsmith. 

On February 9, 2016 at 9:46 PM, John Marston said:

looks like this movie actually got a bunch of negative reviews. I am surprised

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/basic_instinct/reviews/

the movie has received a bit of a critical reevaluation since its release. and now with ELLE being a critics darling, verhoeven's filmography will continue to be reevaluated and appreciated.