#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Was it before or after studios gave him more than $50m to fail with (the more than amazing) Children of Men?But you can't compare that. Harry Potter was Harry Potter. Rowlings Harry Potter.Now it's Gravity, that movie Cuaron did. Everybody knows his name now, that hype is all about the director and the movie.

One movie doesn't give you free rein at a studio.

One movie doesn't give you free rein at a studio.

Agree with this. Not one person I know who has watched this knows the director's name. Unlike say, James Cameron or Christopher Nolan who the general audience recognize, Cuaron still has a long way to go.

• Like 1

I saw CP earlier today. Amazing gut wrenching performance by Tom Hanks. One of the best October quality movie wise. Gravity, CP and I saw Prisoners in October as well. We're getting spoiled with amazing quality.  :D

• Like 2

'Gravity's holdover markets fell an average of 27%. Highlights include Russia ($4.3M, -42%), Germany ($3.1M, -15%) & Australia ($3M, -11%).

https://twitter.com/boxofficemojo/status/389451125868732417

One made a comment:

Do you know that in Russia it was taken away from all IMAX theaters for Stalingrad? That is how Russian movies become hits. Otherwise the hold would be better, like 30 percent I think. It is big buzz here over Gravity.