#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

You know what's the greatest fact about Gravity's success? After Nolan, we've got another quality director who now can make literally every movie he likes to.

That's the best story of the year for movie fans.

At least Cuaron won't have problem finding the financing for his next 1 - 2 projects. WB is a studio with more guts on investing risky projects, which Zack Snyder is a good example.

• Like 2

At least Cuaron won't have problem finding the financing for his next 1 - 2 projects. WB is a studio with more guts on investing risky projects, which Zack Snyder is a good example.

Snyder and Shyamalan are two of the luckiest directors. If it weren't for MoS, Snyder would be done for, and he should have been for except he was signed on for MoS before Sucker Punch bombed.

And, Shyamalan, I honestly don't know how he has managed to pull it off over and over again. He even got Will Smith to star in one of his bombs.

But, with that said, until Cuaron proves otherwise, WB is likely to take bigger risks on him, especially now that Nolan has left.  

Snyder and Shyamalan are two of the luckiest directors. If it weren't for MoS, Snyder would be done for, and he should have been for except he was signed on for MoS before Sucker Punch bombed.

And, Shyamalan, I honestly don't know how he has managed to pull it off over and over again. He even got Will Smith to star in one of his bombs.

But, with that said, until Cuaron proves otherwise, WB is likely to take bigger risks on him, especially now that Nolan has left.  

If you look at M.Night's resume as a director, it's actually much better than Snyder's. He had ups and downs but for one or two flops he can give you one hit. Snyder is another story. He's been cashing in the goodwill from 300 even since, and the result is three flops (in three different genres lol) in a row.

I suppose both will be a hired gun for most of their rest career. They both can write but they won't have their own projects breaking out big like Nolan and Cuaron.

Edited by vc2002

Some days ago, I searched for Wolfgang Petersen, what he's doing, where he's now and I found a newspaper from earlier this year, where he gave an interview, and he said the Studio would have given him any Budget, after Air Force one, The perfect storm and Troy all managed to top their predecessor. (And none was as successful, as Gravity is going to be). But he's also an example for the other direction, after they gave him the biggest budget for Poseidon, what was his last movie to date. I really hope, he finally get's his long developed project, "Old Man's War", financed as Poseidon falling right into financial crisis was so unlucky for him to destroy his whole carreer.

• Like 2

According to THR:

Warner Bros.' Gravity topped the box office for the second weekend in a row, grossing $44.3 million -- a falloff of just 21 percent from its first weekend, which is the lowest decline in history for a film that opened to more than $55 million -- 

What does that mean? THE AVENGERS opened to more than 55 M. Decline = percentage-wise?

If you look at M.Night's resume as a director, it's actually much better than Snyder's. He had ups and downs but for one or two flops he can give you one hit. Snyder is another story. He's been cashing in the goodwill from 300 even since, and the result is three flops (in three different genres lol) in a row.

I suppose both will be a hired gun for most of their rest career. They both can write but they won't have their own projects breaking out big like Nolan and Cuaron.

As bad as M. Night's films have been for a while now, The Village, The Happening, and The Last Airbender were all financial successes. Discounting Man of Steel, Snyder hasn't had a hit since 300. Although you could call Watchmen a modest success. 

As bad as M. Night's films have been for a while now, The Village, The Happening, and The Last Airbender were all financial successes. Discounting Man of Steel, Snyder hasn't had a hit since 300. Although you could call Watchmen a modest success. 

And as a writer-director, M.Night totally destroys Snyder in terms of commecial success. I don't think it's very likely that he's gonna regain his glory days (aka later 90's and early 00's) in the future, but when you compare the original works of both, Snyder is not even close.