#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Avatar actually helped. Avatar elevated people's interest in going to cinema. That's how big a movie can be.

There were also alot of cases where people were in line as Avatar showtimes sold out.  Sherlock Holmes was the alternative.

So happy Gravity is performing the way it does. When was the last time an original sci-fi, not called called Avatar or Inception, did this well?

1. Good news - Hopefully, we'll get more big budget, original sci-fis.

2. Bad news - We will get more crappy 3D conversions.

Oblivion, Pacific Rim, After All did middling to poor and the prospects for more original 'scifi' weren't good.  Gravity changed that.  

finally saw Gravity :wub:

pretty great but not the one I'll be obsessing over for a long time or madly rooting 4 

Dont see how it can beat 12YaS @ awards but it def can be the one with most noms

bonus lulz point for stoopid russians being the cause again :lol:  :lol: oh HW never change!

looking forward to evil russians in Jack Ryan & Monuments men :D

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

It's been almost 4 years since Avatar, but finally an original sci-fi that could break $300m DOM. People were calling 2013 the year original scifi failed, but now with this 300m grosser, it seems that we can actually call 2013 the year original scifi shined? :drool:

It's been almost 4 years since Avatar, but finally an original sci-fi that could break $300m DOM. People were calling 2013 the year original scifi failed, but now with this 300m grosser, it seems that we can actually call 2013 the year original scifi shined? :drool:

Holy shit, it's actually been 4 years. I remember OW so well, it feels like it was yesterday.
  • Like 1

gravity is not sci fi doe. 

LOL just teasing :P 

Sadly, I'm not sure this is true.

Yeah, Alfonso will need more leverage.

Bay made Paramount an assload of money and they still wouldn't finance his own movie (Pain and Gain) unless he agreed to do TF4.

Maybe Alfonso will agree to do Justice League.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Sadly, I'm not sure this is true.

They took the gamble and financed Gravity, a movie that needed years and new technology to make. They would do everything, to have Cuaron in their team from now on, i'm pretty sure about that. At least until that next movie flops horribly. But his next movie? He would find a big studio to finance it, no doubt about that. With Gravity making 500-600m WW, do they have a choice?

• Like 1

They took the gamble and financed Gravity, a movie that needed years and new technology to make. They would do everything, to have Cuaron in their team from now on, i'm pretty sure about that. At least until that next movie flops horribly. But his next movie? He would find a big studio to finance it, no doubt about that. With Gravity making 500-600m WW, do they have a choice?

He'll have more freedom, provided it's a smaller budget project. Dude directed the best-received Harry Potter movie and still couldn't get financing for a movie budgeted at just a few million.

He'll have more freedom, provided it's a smaller budget project. Dude directed the best-received Harry Potter movie and still couldn't get financing for a movie budgeted at just a few million.

Was it before or after studios gave him more than $50m to fail with (the more than amazing) Children of Men?

But you can't compare that. Harry Potter was Harry Potter. Rowlings Harry Potter.

Now it's Gravity, that movie Cuaron did. Everybody knows his name now, that hype is all about the director and the movie.

Edited by Poseidon