Krissykins

Weekend Numbers Oct 18-21

Lol LOL LolWonder why you are butthurt Ed? Here's a hint everyone (looks whose name isn't on a daily thread for once)

It's a weekend thread.I make threads when I have time to participate in them.I think someone else is butthurt for almost a year now.

• Founder / Operator

Weekend Projections & Analysis:

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/early_estimate/2013-10-19

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-10-18-north-america-carrie-delivers-strong-results-on-thursday

Excerpt:

As expected, Warner Bros.' Gravity will maintain its hold on first place for a third consecutive weekend--the first film to pull such a feat in 2013, and the first since WB's own The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey won the final three weekends of 2012. The space drama added $9.07 million to its haul on Friday, off just 28 percent week-to-week and giving it a 15-day domestic haul of $148.61 million. The flick is now running 28.6 percent ahead of The Blind Side's pace, and 14.6 percent behindInception. Look for Gravity to net around $31 million this weekend.

Sony reports an estimated $6.6 million opening day for their Carrie remake, a respectable figure but far short of a breakout. By comparison, the studio'sEvil Dead remake bowed to an $11.9 million first day earlier this year. The built-in appeal of Carrie as well as rising star Chloë Grace Moretz and veteran actress Julianne Moore helped bring out horror fans. Word of mouth appears underwhelming with a Flixster score of 67 percent (so far), although its "B-" CinemaScore ("B+" for audiences over the age of 25, as Sony notes) isn't too bad for the horror genre. Carrie was hoping to take advantage of being the lone new horror release this October as this year marks the first since 2003 that aSaw or Paranormal Activity film won't be around to dominate Halloween/horror fans. Nevertheless, market competition proved to be too much. Look for Carrieto grab $17 million this weekend.

Edited by ShawnMR

Why do people keep going on whether Moretz is a box office draw?. if this was a standard 'rom com' or something then yeah maybe but i doubt people are going to see Carrie because of Moretz, they are seeing it for the story or they liked the book or the orig film etc.

Edited by stuart360

My take on Moretz: she's very young, not meant to be a big draw yet--that's why Moore was cast as the veteran supporting anchor in this. Moretz still has a very bright future ahead.

She has another  co-leading film next year opposite Denzel Washington. I think they are trying really hard to make her a big teen star but she's wayy off from being a box office draw.