Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

I'd also like to point out that basically every single Trek movie has almost nothing to do with actually exploring the galaxy and discovering new world and species.

2 hour Trek movies don't have time for that. 45 minute episodes can however. :ph34r:

We get tripped up on the Khan thing because The Wrath of Khan is the greatest Trek movie of all time, and STID glommed into it and fed off of it like some kind of parasite.

I think STID would have been a better movie, and could have still told much the same story, if Benedict Cumberbatch's character wasn't Khan.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

We get tripped up on the Khan thing because The Wrath of Khan is the greatest Trek movie of all time, and STID glommed into it and fed off of it like some kind of parasite.

I think STID would have been a better movie, and could have still told much the same story, if Benedict Cumberbatch's character wasn't Khan.

The movie would have been much better if Cumberbatch's character was just another genetically engineered character like Khan INSTEAD of being THE Khan. -_-

I always thought a much better idea would have been if the Klingons had found the Botany Bay and were using the rest of the crew as hostages/leverage to force Khan into working for them into developing weapons, strategizing plans to harass the Federation and wound it. That would sell the Act 2 team-up of Khan and Kirk much better since 1) It's evil Klingons instead of some nebulous Admiral conspiracy, and 2) Easier for Kirk to buy into Khan's plans and team up since he's operating off of general anti-Klingon prejudice in the Federation based on the Klingon souped-up militarization post-ST09.

Then have Khan double-cross everyone and want to genocide Klingons, and you have the Act 3 conflict of Kirk torn between what would be a crushing victory for the Federation and letting countless innocents die.

Edited by 4815162342

Interesting reboot-series.

First film made $385M WW. "Into Darkness" made $467M WW.

How will Star Trek: Beyond do WW? Since the last one was beloved by critics and audiences alike.

If Beyond increase the same as ID increase, it will wind up at around $550m.

Plus the 50th anniversary.

So $750m, I guess.

I don't think it's way too much...I think $750M WW is a respectable number for a third outing.

Also..we have to keep in mind about China....and if SW:EP7 overperforms as much as it does...it could bode well for Star Trek 3.

I'll go safe and say...$620-640M WW. Probably better WOM and the goodwill from the last 2 predecessors will propel this one.

• Like 1

Were the previous Treks released in China?

If it makes another decent OS jump i can see it finishing with close to $600m. Only if it's released in China and makes at least close to $100m, then it might make it to $700m.

• Like 1

Were the previous Treks released in China?

If it makes another decent OS jump i can see it finishing with close to $600m. Only if it's released in China and makes at least close to $100m, then it might make it to $700m.

Yeah, they both were. The first one made $8M in China...that was way before the 3D kick-in, and Into Darkness made nearly $57M over there...and that was before China's markets exploded.

By the time we get to next year...the third one will see an absolute considerate OS jump from the last one.

• Like 2

Yeah, they both were. The first one made $8M in China...that was way before the 3D kick-in, and Into Darkness made nearly $57M over there...and that was before China's markets exploded.

By the time we get to next year...the third one will see an absolute considerate OS jump from the last one.

So I see $100m+ for Star Trek 3.

Even $150m is possible.

Edited by Exterminus

Not really looking to this since the other two weren't that good and basically the same, but I always give the series a chance so hopefully I like this one more :)

• Like 1