Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Ugh, having Shatner show up makes me way less interested. Enough with the pointless winking and nudging towards the old Trek universe (that ironically they spent so much time and effort trying to get away from in the first place).

Given it's the 50th anniversary, it does not surprise me at all. Wonder if they'll do a Doctor Who and have Pine's Kirk interact with Shatner's Kirk.

I imagine the budget for Star Trek III will likely be the same as Into Darkness maybe a tad lower I think Skyfall's budget was lower than Quantum of Solace so it's not unusual

Presumably.  I'd like to see data on this.  I kind of doubt it.  

Nothing to doubt really. Thats how it works. When STID came out and you go to best buy what do you see? A giant Star Trek section with all pervious 11 movies selling off the selves like hot cakes.

I remember seeing when TDKR came out Batman Begins was like the #1 selling blu-ray that week.

A property the size of Star Trek is always making money. Lets say the movies break even when its all said it done. But guess what during its year back in the spotlight, ST blu-rays went up 25%, merchandising went up 10%. 

Not to mention the last 2 movies have been overall well received. Think of how many new ST fans have been made from the last 2 movies. You get 2m new fans around the world to show there kids the movies in 15 years and Paramount will still be making money of the franchise then. 

• Like 1

The 50th anniversary is going to be free promotion for the film in the same way it was for Skyfall. CBS and Paramount will likely ramping up promotion for Star Trek 50 from January 2016 onwards before, Star Trek III will be the central part of it. Anyone who has ever been involved with Star Trek will be interviewed and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a TV special or documentary about the franchise

• Like 1

The 50th anniversary is going to be free promotion for the film in the same way it was for Skyfall. CBS and Paramount will likely ramping up promotion for Star Trek 50 from January 2016 onwards before, Star Trek III will be the central part of it. Anyone who has ever been involved with Star Trek will be interviewed and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a TV special or documentary about the franchise

Or maybe a new TV show!

• Like 1

With Orci directing, I could not care less about this. (Though I'm sure I will watch it)

As for Cumberbatch - he's great wherever he goes, whatever he does. He could play every single character and it'd be great.

Bob Orci won't direct anymore, Edgar Wright is a possibility to take over: http://deadline.com/2014/12/star-trek-roberto-orci-1201311255/

Roberto Orci is beaming off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise onStar Trek 3. Rampant rumors are swirling and I’ve confirmed there is fire behind the smoke. I even hear that Edgar Wright and others are on a short list to take the job.  Orci stays on the project as producer, I’ve heard.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2