Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

http://deadline.com/2016/05/star-trek-axanar-lawsuit-ending-jj-abrams-paramount-1201760721/

In advance of the July release of Star Trek Beyond, it seems Paramount is going to try and get itself beyond a serious problem it’s having with the passionate fanbase of Trekkies, and clear up a PR black eye in the process. Tonight during a Trek fan event held on the Paramount lot, Star Trek Beyond executive producer JJ Abramsannounced that the studio will be dropping a contentious lawsuit against a Star Trekfan film production. “This wasn’t an appropriate way to deal with the fans,” Abrams put it bluntly, signaling a major about face and many mended fences.

Star Trek fan films have almost always been tolerated by CBS/Paramount, so long as they’re not for profit. In this instance however, the studio determined that the high level of funding for the film crossed a threshold into infringement. That didn’t sit well with Trek fans, who have been in an uproar over the fight. That uproar is of course badly timed – with Star Trek Beyond set to (hopefully) revive fan love after the critically maligned and box office underperforming Star Trek Into Darkness, the last thing Paramount needs is a reason for fans to simply stay away.

Critically Maligned? STID had 87% on RT.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

I'm liking it more that I think about it.  It's not blowing my mind...but it looks like a really flashy episode of that which I love.

So...ok, I'm into it.

Like I said, this looks more Star Trek-ky than the JJ's to me.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Like I said, this looks more Star Trek-ky than the JJ's to me.

This...is,..actually very true.

This is what I wanted,..and I got it...and I'm questioning it?  Kowhite, just,,.go with it.  This really does look like just that.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That fanfilm stuff is nonsense. It's wild, blatant infringement, and of course fans should've expected a lawsuit when it got funded for literally millions of dollars. They're lucky Paramount decided to be benevolent.

Come on, it's kinda cool Paramount is playing ball.  Like any of that stuff would actually hurt their grosses.  

Dont get me wrong,,.youre right...but...I like that it exists.

I mean, what have mega corporations ever done for me?  Besides employ me and give me a living.   

Actually, don't answer that.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kowhite said:

Come on, it's kinda cool Paramount is playing ball.  Like any of that stuff would actually hurt their grosses.  

Dont get me wrong,,.youre right...but...I like that it exists.

I mean, what have mega corporations ever done for me?  Besides employ me and give me a living.   

Actually, don't answer that.

Let's see how fast Disney would shut down a fan-film about Mickey's mysterious past. :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Let's see how fast Disney would shut down a fan-film about Mickey's mysterious past. :)

Disney is a bunch of assholes.  Paramount?  Ok, ass holes but JJ spoke up, and Brad Grey's job is in question.

My point?  Shut up, stop working for the man!  

• Like 1