grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

That's not bad, though lower than the minimum that I thought it would at least do (which was 85M)

But kinda embarrassing for those predicting >100M.

It was never realistic to expect 100m - only may/summer season could grant this kind of opening. 

Edited by Talon

It was never realistic to expect 100m- only may/summer season could grant this kind of opening.

Well, yeah, but a cursory glance at the weekend predictions thread shows that there were quite a few people who had this doing at least high 90s to low 100s. Granted a handful of those are Marvel fans but still.  The more sensible ones predicted high 80s - low 90s.

I doubt somebody in dis/mar expected something huge from this. I am interested thought...what kind of grosses will other MCU-RDJ-less movies have next year.  

I think Cap2 will do similar numbers to TDW domestically, if not better.

Depending on how good it is, GotG can break out the way Iron Man did in 2008, which will then pave the way for Marvel's next slew of solo franchises the way IM did for Thor and Cap.

I doubt somebody in dis/mar expected something huge from this. I am interested thought...what kind of grosses will other MCU-RDJ-less movies have next year.  

Not expecting huge numbers from ant-man because many people are "what is ant-man? why ant-man?" GotG has probably one of the biggest and interesting cast out there. If they play their cards it can hold its own. It's different than what they offered in the previous years. Plus many people who saw the footage said Rocket Raccoon might be a star