Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

Yes, Thor has increased from the first, but based on expectations on different websites (BOM, Coming Soon, BOP, Boxoffice.com) and many others, it will end lower domestic than expected. Worldwide will keep it in the 600-650 range and definitely help overall.

But let's be honest, if "Man of Steel" had opened to 85M and had been at less than 150M after 10 days, the number of "What went wrong?" threads that the mods would have had to close would have been crazy. BKB himself would have opened 10 of them.

Since you brought it, MOS opened at $128M with previews, Thor2 at $85,6 M with previews, hence a $42M weekend difference.

Second weekend, Thor2 ended up with $38,5 M while MOS ended up with $41.5 M, narrowing to a $3M weekend difference, a 55% drop versus a 68% drop.  That's why it was pointed out.

As for Thor2, it seems to me that it is still  on pace to end up around $220M - $230M, especially with Thanksgiving and hollidays coming and not $200-$210M.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 3

Yes, Thor has increased from the first, but based on expectations on different websites (BOM, Coming Soon, BOP, Boxoffice.com) and many others, it will end lower domestic than expected. Worldwide will keep it in the 600-650 range and definitely help overall.

But let's be honest, if "Man of Steel" had opened to 85M and had been at less than 150M after 10 days, the number of "What went wrong?" threads that the mods would have had to close would have been crazy. BKB himself would have opened 10 of them.

But Thor is not Superman. So I don't see why they are being compared at all. I didn't even know or like Thor until I saw the Avengers. I've been knowing Superman all my life. I think that's the way with a lot of people. Superman is expected to be big because he is so well known.

• Like 5

This guy at Indiewire writes very MEH box office report:

With all the advance tickets sales, and as Tambay on Friday said it was going to happen...

... well it did.

The Best Man Holiday had a solid opening, besting most box office predictions, coming in second behind Thor: The Dark World , which earned $38.5 million.

Holiday actually grossed more than Dark World on Friday, but the Mighty Thor rose up to vanquish Best Man over the weekend.

BMH opened with $30.6 million this weekend, proving most box office experts wrong who predicted a more modest$17--$20 million opening. The one exception being Erik Childress of EFilmCritc.com, WGN Radio andWCIU-TV Chicago, one of the few consistently accurate box office analysts, who predicted a $34 million opening for Holiday a few weeks ago. (Even I thought he was way off.)

This puts Holiday well on track to do Think Like A Man business which opened with $33.7 million and did over$90 million at the box office and it could possibly do even more than that, perhaps even reaching $95-100 million.

Still the film, with its modest $17 million production budget, low budget for a studio film, is already guaranteed to be a huge success for Universal and will far out gross 1999’s The Best Man which made a modest $34 million total at the box office.

But of course I have to be a spoil sport, so here it is…

There are a few things that could keep Holiday from reaching Think Like A Man’s total gross.  First of all, the film could be victim to, as I call it, the  “Comic Con fanboy” factor in that everyone who really wanted to see the film went out the first week and everyone else has a more wait and see, “I’ll get to it later” attitude which could cause a significant drop in the b.o. total in the following weeks.

But there’s another problem too, and that’s the heavy competition that’s coming out, starting next week, through the holiday season.

The film will be going to be going up against such heavy hitters like The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (which is opening in over 4000 theaters next weekend and is already projected to make some $150 million in its opening weekend, and Childress said it could be even higher than that), The Wolf of Wall Street, Lone Survivor, Saving Mr. Banks, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and Anchorman 2. On top of that there are, of course, other black films coming out soon in the next few weeks, such as Black Nativity, Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom,and, dare we say it, A Madea Christmas (which Childress predicted last week will have one of the biggest weekend openings for any Madea film. Once again I disagree and once again we’ll know soon enough).

For Holiday to hit $90 million or more it’s going to need really strong word of mouth, which it seems to be getting,  to keep people flocking to it and to keep the week to week box office drop lower than expected. Time will tell, as the weeks goes by, what the final outcome will be.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/weekend-bo-nov-15-17-best-man-got-just-this-close

LOL. Even I can write better box office report than that ... in English.

Since you brought it, MOS opened at $128M with previews, Thor2 at $85,6 M with previews, hence a $42M weekend difference.Second weekend, Thor2 ended up with $38,5 M while MOS ended up with $41.5 M, narrowing to a $3M weekend difference, a 55% drop versus a 68% drop. That's why it was pointed out.As for Thor2, it seems to me that it is still on pace to end up around $220M -$230M, especially with Thanksgiving and hollidays coming and not $200-$210M.

Thor 2 likely won't reach that high  It has fallen behind X2's pace and likely will continue with Catching Fire opening ready to steal its thunder

Edited by John Marston

Let's face it folks, this thing's a failure all around.. I don't know why Neo locked my last thread, because once again Marvel is just a step ahead and it's useless to argue otherwise.. :bravo:
  • Like 6

Since you brought it, MOS opened at $128M with previews, Thor2 at $85,6 M with previews, hence a $42M weekend difference.

Second weekend, Thor2 ended up with $38,5 M while MOS ended up with $41.5 M, narrowing to a $3M weekend difference, a 55% drop versus a 68% drop.  That's why it was pointed out.

As for Thor2, it seems to me that it is still  on pace to end up around $220M - $230M, especially with Thanksgiving and hollidays coming and not $200-$210M.

Thor2 fell 55% and ended up 3M more than Thor's second weekend (after opening over 20M more). After having lower weekday grosses. Thor2 had competition of 31M, MoS of 145M. 

And after the Avengers effect, the Thorki effect and the fact that "most people will want to see what happened to Loki after Avengers" were all touted continuously as reasons for why Thor2 would open way bigger and maybe even go to 250M or more - just glance into any of the clubs created - the Thor2 under X3 club is a perfect demonstration of what people were saying. After all this, it increases by 12% on the first movie. Even with Thanksgiving holidays, it will end up lower than X2 or barely higher.

Edited by grim22

Do I really need to see 12 Years a Slave? Like, is it awful .... to sit through, I mean? Just not sure I feel like bringing myself down right now...

The few brutal scenes that are there, are fairly gruesome.

But there actually aren't that many.

He's Verrick from the current season of The Legend of Korra. It's not as great a show as it could be considering A:TLA, but I really enjoy his character. He's a fun guy! (Also, before people go off-topic and talk about Korra, I'm behind five episodes unfortunately :lol: )

He's definitely the best character on the show. And you need to catch up, the last few episodes kick ass!

• Like 1

Thor 2 likely won't reach that high  It has fallen behind X2's pace and likely will continue with Catching Fire opening ready to steal its thunder

We will see.  With Thanksgiving, TDW may end up above it after this coming weekend.

So again we will see as different times of the year gives different opportunities to generate cash.  That's why i prefer to see how it fares compared to Skyfall released during the same period of time and draw projections.

We will see.  With Thanksgiving, TDW may end up above it after this coming weekend.

So again we will see as different times of the year gives different opportunities to generate cash.  That's why i prefer to see how it fares compared to Skyfall released during the same period of time and draw projections.

So far Thor 2 is very similar to X2. Similar opening weekend and similar first week total (though Thor 2 with a slightly higher second weekend fall). Both movies had no competition second weekend but third weekend faced massive competition (Matrix Reloaded for  X2 and Catching Fire of Thor), then a holiday weekend after that (Memorial Day for X2 and Thanksgiving for Thor)

Skyfall had very strong holds after second weekend, but I don't think Thor will have that longevity

while Thanksgiving will help Thor out a lot, post Thanksgiving drop is usually harsh and right after that it faces The Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug, So yeah it looks like about 210m seems where it will end up

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1