Neo

Transformers: The Last Knight | 6/21/2017 | Big Budget, Weak OW?

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

You defend the shittiest movies. The Mummy, Transformers 5, Pirates 5 hahah 

I haven't seen The Mummy. Doubt I will see it in theaters

I get some enjoyment out of the Pirates and Transformers franchises so don't mind defending them 

5 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Reviews nowadays confuse me. Is the reviewer just being extra snarky when he uses "incomprehensible," or is the script really hard to follow? I have a problem believing that a film this expensive won't even adhere to the most rudimentary rules of storytelling. I am not talking about whether a script is deep and thought provoking; I am talking about basic narrative clarity. Whether it is Moonlight or Transformers, the plotline has to be easy to understand, right?

I read the entire plot on Reddit and still don't know what the fuck I read. 

Just now, John Marston said:

I haven't seen The Mummy. Doubt I will see it in theaters

I get some enjoyment out of the Pirates and Transformers franchises so don't mind defending them 

Thats fine, its just you defend movies selling half as many tickets like thats what the studio expected hahah 

I think Transformers 5 will probably be the "X-Men Apocalypse" of the series, at least regarding domestic numbers. Or maybe Pirates 5.

Overseas will be great.

Now, here's the thing. If this movie makes 400 million in China alone, won't the producers only get 100 million ( or 25% )? I mean, isn't that the way in China?

So, let's see. They say the budget is 217 million. This obviously doesn't include distribution, marketing and promotion. So, what's the real number? 390-400 million?

If producers only get 50% or maybe 60% form domestic grosses, 25% from China and 40% from the rest of the world, I can't see this movie making a profit.

Let's imagine:

160 million domestic- Producers will get 80 million ( 50% )

400 million in China- Producers will get 100 million ( 25% )

300 million overseas- Producers will get 75 million ( 40% )

So, 80 + 100 + 75 = 255 million. If the budget is 217 million, then they'll get what? 38 million profit?

I don't know if I'm thinking the right way. So, feel free to correct me anytime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think Transformers 5 will probably be the "X-Men Apocalypse" of the series, at least regarding domestic numbers. Or maybe Pirates 5.

Overseas will be great.

Now, here's the thing. If this movie makes 400 million in China alone, won't the producers only get 100 million ( or 25% )? I mean, isn't that the way in China?

So, let's see. They say the budget is 217 million. This obviously doesn't include distribution, marketing and promotion. So, what's the real number? 390-400 million?

If producers only get 50% or maybe 60% form domestic grosses, 25% from China and 40% from the rest of the world, I can't see this movie making a profit.

Let's imagine:

160 million domestic- Producers will get 80 million ( 50% )

400 million in China- Producers will get 100 million ( 25% )

300 million overseas- Producers will get 75 million ( 40% )

So, 80 + 100 + 75 = 255 million. If the budget is 217 million, then they'll get what? 38 million profit?

I don't know if I'm thinking the right way. So, feel free to correct me anytime. 

giphy.gif

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Plus you have to add in like 125m of marketing and distribution World Wide.

It wont make money until post theater revenue. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Some chinese company are heavily invested in paramount slate, but I'm not sure if that make them out of the import category that get the 25%, it is probably still the case, let say it is.

You are only looking at theatrical revenue here and only at the production budget, the total picture is quite different.

You can start with that estimate as a starting point and adjust for this one different information, those tend to be pretty good:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/transformers-age-of-extinction-profit-box-office-2014-1201391233/

The total cost before participation should be above 400m (was over 500m for T4 with an estimated 250m budget).

T4, did around 850 million in revenue from a 412 million theatrical rental,using a similar ratio for t5 and your theatrical rental estimate it would do around 520m in total revenue, for an around 50 to 100 million in profit (shared between people with participation bonus, hasbro, the many investor and to the studio)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

The guy who gave a rotten score to T5, gave a fresh score to The Mummy, Baywatch and King Arthur, Assassins Creed, Ice Age 5.

This is really strange. He loved a lot of crappy movies and hated Transformers 5?

Not all crappy movies are created equal.

• Like 4

OMG, everything I've been reading about this movie makes it sound like some kind of Gods Of Egypt hilaribad joke.

Now I'm actually kinda curious to watch it in the near future, just to laugh my ass off. Bay, you are a comedy genius.

30 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Reviews nowadays confuse me. Is the reviewer just being extra snarky when he uses "incomprehensible," or is the script really hard to follow? I have a problem believing that a film this expensive won't even adhere to the most rudimentary rules of storytelling. I am not talking about whether a script is deep and thought provoking; I am talking about basic narrative clarity. Whether it is Moonlight or Transformers, the plotline has to be easy to understand, right?

Well, I read the beginning of the review, and he did say that "we have no idea what the movie is about", so that probably explains why "the script is incomprehensible" - when you do not know what was movie's plot about, that at least means that your script was a little muddled.