iceroll

Wednesday Numbers: Catching Fire 20.7m, Frozen 15.2m, Thor 2.3m (yay) Smashing like a Wrecking Ball!

Last year, after Hunger Games finished its run, and before I really studied up on box office trends and how sequels to huge movies do, I predicted Catching Fire to make about $420m.

After I became better informed on how box office works, I lowered my prediction to around 375. 

After last Friday, I was worried it might do even less, maybe around 360.

I never would have thought that my original, uninformed, shot-in-the-dark prediction would be the one that this movie would probably fall closest to. (Probably) 22 million is crazy. The movie deserves all the money it's been making, it's great.

The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Futurist feeling like a boss right now. :)

Futurist needs to get a grip if this is why he has been absent from the forums. It is just a movie that is going to make a lot of money either way so a few millions her or there aren't that important.

Futurist needs to get a grip if this is why he has been absent from the forums. It is just a movie that is going to make a lot of money either way so a few millions her or there aren't that important.

Definitely. If a movie, which you have absolutely no real stake in, alters your way of living, you're in dire need of help.

• Like 2

Fantastic for CF. Went out for wings Wednesdays and after we finished at 10:25 one of my friends said she really wanted to see it and the theater was 5 mins away, so I went to my 2nd viewing in less then a week. That's only happened with a half dozen movies before for me. It was absolutely fantastic again on repeat viewing. Definitely sticking with A for the film. Also not sure if others noticed, but on the 2nd viewing the ending feels more wrapped up rather then sudden.

Fantastic for CF. Went out for wings Wednesdays and after we finished at 10:25 one of my friends said she really wanted to see it and the theater was 5 mins away, so I went to my 2nd viewing in less then a week. That's only happened with a half dozen movies before for me. It was absolutely fantastic again on repeat viewing. Definitely sticking with A for the film. Also not sure if others noticed, but on the 2nd viewing the ending feels more wrapped up rather then sudden.

I'm gonna see it again this weekend so I can help propel it to a 75 million+ weekend....and because it has been stuck in my head since Saturday lol

That is an insanely monstrous number for CF and that makes my under 360 club dead.  CF is bucking the trends of other large opening films.  It looks like this has a very good shot at 400 and in all likelihood will pass it.  It's a much much better film that the first, imo, so seeing it make this kind of money is awesome.  

Huge opening day for Frozen and I can understand why.  The trailers are fantastic and it makes me want to go see it.  This will have a leggy run for sure.  No idea where it will finish but it will get past 200 easily.

I hope Homefront finds an audience.  1.3 is obviously low and maybe it can do 10 mill for the 5 day, not sure but if you do like action films it is one of the better ones I've seen this year.

What a fantastic Wednesday!  Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American friends here.  

If the Lions can't WHUP the Pack without Rogers, they don't deserve to make the playoffs.

Cowboys should win but a 10 pt spread is way too high imo.

I'm looking for the upset in Baltimore.  Pitt is playing much better than they were 5 weeks ago.

Nice dish you made there adim...it;s 5:30 AM here and I'm hungry now.

On a sad note, funeral arrangements have been made for the 360 club.  It passed away peacefully in its sleep last night.  I want to send out my condolences to all of its friends and family.  The funeral and eulogy will be held at a later date.  Please, we ask that you respect our privacy at this very difficult time.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 10

Why are you up at 5:30 AM baumer?

I'm usually up at 430-500.  I go to the gym and walk the dogs before 8AM.   :)

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1