baumer

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I just like to think, even though she didn't like what the movie was, when she was at the premiere something in the movie clicked with her as it was still her story.

It's a matter of record that after the premiere she went to Disney and said, "well, we have a lot of work to do" and he replied, "Pam, that ship has sailed."
  • Like 2

Travers did eventually give them the rights, so that was at least somewhat forgive able IMO. It would have been harder to justify creating a scenario where Travers loved the film.As a side note, one thing that did bother me in the film is how biased it is towards Walt. Again, it's understandable, as his company made the film, but a more balanced portrayal of the characters and their disagreements could have really helped.

I would recommend Walt by Neal Gabler. It wasn't published by Disney, but Gabler did get access to the archives from Disney. It wasn't liked by his daughter Dianne. But she just recently passed away and was very protective of her father's legacy. But I think the book does a very fair job of portraying Walt Edited by DAR

Grade: A

A very solid film, nearly perfect. Hanks as Disney was superb but a bit watered down, probably kept from the + but he performed great for what he was given. 

Emma Thompson was amazing, she about had me crying in the final moments of the third act.

Colin Ferrell.....did not see that coming. Bravo sir.

If this doesn't win an Oscar or two for something there is no justice. 

i love it A+ 

its a lovely movie , very moving and emotional

i started tearing up near the end when walt disney followed her to england and gave this speech about saving mr banks as they drank tea&whiskey?, he was stubborn in his endeavour to understand what made her tick and basically get her to sign the film off

he sure sold that entire sequence for me , awesome job tom hanks ! 

emma thompson flawless as usual , she really seems to understand her characters ,such subtlety and restraint BRAVO!

mary poppins author seems quite the complex person, her childhood her father and her mother , having to deal with all that as a kid ! pretty heavy shit 

this has to be one rare time i did not find colin farell annoying , he did his part well too  with gravitas 

i'm curious though was he drinking because he was sick or was he sick because he was an alcoholic?

he did his best to shield his children from reality but i'm not sure that was the best way to go about it and clearly his daughter later on came to disagree about that hence her creating Mrs poppins who told it straight like it was and holding on so tight to her 

i think her mother could have done a better job at holding herself up but clearly she was overwhelmed most of the time , i can certainly understand that esp if her husband wasnt of much assistance!

(ps: saw this thanks to a screener)

and now i'll go watch AH (screener too ) and their over-exaggerated yankee accents (some poster here said so lol)

I didn't like or dislike the movie because she was a horrible person, I just commented on her being a horrible person.  Thompson did a terrific job of bringing her to life.  I just think that's a terrible way to go through life, being about as warm as the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

i have sympathy for her it must not be easy being that way 

the way i saw it she seemed at times to want to warm up , join in socializing but couldnt and when she did try it was a failure so she takes comfort in her routines (like the hotel bar scene) 

its easier said than done to be someone you're not and do stuff that don't come naturally to you , esp as you've been shaped and influence by your specific upbringing , perhaps that iceberg wants to melt but feels trap in its ice castle it has built itself and is now set in her ways , maybe it is sad but its the only way she knows 

now take walt disney he has his own sob story as he says and he had a different take on it and how it also influence the person he is today/his outlook on life  and the decisions he takes ( and if not we wouldnt have the wonderful world of disney)

this movie was just tugging at my heart strings like a violin... fudge!

i'll admit i envied her getting a personal tour with him at disneyland , too bad she didnt allow herself to enjoy it , after all disneyland is the happiest place on earth i know it to be true as i visited disneyworld when i was younger

Edited by ladyevenstar22

met my expectations

& Farrel daym

again another time I'm mad that he doesnt make any awards lists (same as Renner for AH)

Life is unfair  :angry:

Haven't really read anything abt the actual Dysney & Travers relationship (or watched Mary Poppins :ph34r: ) so  from what i gathered on this forum this is far from what happened in reality but Im OK with that & will treat it just as a movie

Totally looking forward to our nice family evening with my mom & sis (a huge Farrel fan). They totally will love it just like me

easily A

Edited by Tauriel

Wow, this movie was absolutely superb. Thompson and Hanks were great, and it made me happy to be a Disney fan. The story is very basic, and has been done before I'm sure, but the Disney twist is something to watch. Mary Poppins will never be the same for me.

A

Yeah, I never hated Travers. You could see where she was coming from.

I felt sorry for but she was a bitch. When the driver tried to talk to her at first she ignored him. She rude to the air line attendant. She rude to the woman with the baby. Overall I liked the movie, it was enjoyable movie and brought a small to my face. Acting was well done. B+

This movie is really freaking good. Very Underrated, in fact I go as far and say this is a great movie and one of the best I saw for 2013. Definitely in my top 5 for the year. Emma Thompson completely nailed the role, and it is a shame she didn't get an oscar nomination for her role. Thought she definitely deserved it. The part near the end where it flashes back and forth from her father to the premiere showing of Mary Poppins had me in tears. Colin Farrell, Holy shit man. What a great performance from him, and Tom Hanks monologue was awesome as well. 

Saving Mr. Banks is of course an A+ film. 5/5

A+

Awesome movie, great acting, script, score, cinematography, I loved everything about it. Makes me look at Mary Poppins (the movie) in a very different perspective.

And yes, I too believe Emma Thompson was snubed for Best Actress.

Honestly, I expected more after all I heard, but this was nonetheless a very heartwarming movie. Some historical inaccuracies bothered me though after I did some research. Anyway, the score was wonderful, and I personally don't usually notice that, so it was THAT good IMO. Emma Thompson does a wonderful job as usual.A-

Loved it. Thought it was very heartfelt and emotional. Great performances in fact I'm disappointed Emma wasn't nominated. A And as a Disney buff loved the little touches like the map of Florida for Walt Disney World. Or a throwaway line like Walt saying he had a meeting with GE. For years GE sponsored the Carosuel of Progress so stuff like that made me geek out a bit