CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

Even if they did like it, they would convince themselves that they did not.

Noctis is pretty honest with film.  He liked Eclipse even though he pretty much hates the rest of the Twilights. 

Since I predicted 75m for DOS, 71m is disappointing but no greatest of calmnities or chiefest of dooms.

its def not the end of the world or anyhting 

& certainly not apocalypse (sp)  :D

Posted Image

Edited by Leyla

Frozen could have had $23M~24M if it hadn't been for the storm. amazing. I think Dos will still do fine. at least $260M is still attainable. no? not all middle earth movies have to make over $300M.

That clearly shows how disappointing AUJ was.

But how can you not see that 3D is dead here in North America Kal?  That will severely lower the gross for Avatar this time.

Only for movies that are post converted. Gravity had very high 3D share and I expect JC to come with something new for Avatar 2. This will help buoy the drop.  

• Like 1

Amazed that people are surprised at these numbers. The first was anticipated as a sequel to Rings. In the same way Phantom Menace was to Jedi. It did really well but was greeted with a mixed reaction. We're now seeing that mixed reaction in its opening weekend, which is still very strong. DOS will be more liked than AUJ. Therefore the third one will open bigger. It's really not rocket science. In fact, following DOS's box office will be one of the more boring runs of the season. Its obvious roughly where it'll end up. Around $250 million. I'm much more interested in what will happen with the Xmas Day releases this year.

Only for movies that are post converted. Gravity had very high 3D share and I expect JC to come with something new for Avatar 2. This will help buoy the drop.  

I agree. Maybe 3D has gained a bad rep, but it´s really not its fault. Blame all the films, good, mediocre and bad, that were post converted, and really didn't need 3D. There are so many films out there to which 3D added nothing, that it truly sours people on the whole gimmick. But once in a while, a great film that makes amazing use of the technique comes along, and audiences fall in love with 3D all over again. Gravity did it, and I have faith that JC will come up with a way to create a story that makes good use of 3D and is enhanced by it.

• Like 1

Amazed that people are surprised at these numbers.The first was anticipated as a sequel to Rings. In the same way Phantom Menace was to Jedi. It did really well but was greeted with a mixed reaction. We're now seeing that mixed reaction in its opening weekend, which is still very strong.DOS will be more liked than AUJ. Therefore the third one will open bigger. It's really not rocket science.In fact, following DOS's box office will be one of the more boring runs of the season. Its obvious roughly where it'll end up. Around $250 million.I'm much more interested in what will happen with the Xmas Day releases this year.

It amazes me when people who rarely post here come here and tell everyone how stupid they are for thinking something when you clearly knew right from the beginning how it would perform, right down to the penny.

• Like 3

260mil DOM is still fine, better than BOM's 230mil prediction...

OS 750mil, hopefully.

So now you are measuring its success against the one publication that went fantastically low on the total?

• Like 2