Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

51 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Would have been a mammoth, mega hit in 2014 as a single movie. Nothing cool happens in the second half of the musical!

I wonder if they're going to stay true to it, or expand the world a bit and bring in tons of stuff from Wizard

Giving Moana 2 the edge, but it will depend on the quality of the music! Wicked has insane songs BUT they need to stage them well... and I hate to say, In the Heights (also directed by Chu) was a mixed bag in that regard.

Oz the Great and Powerful made about half its money just from the US 11 years ago. That sounds about right as to what to expect from the domestic/international split here.

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This won't even do 100M OS. You read it here first.

I think you are underestimating the target audience of this one. I also think there is a WONKA auds overlap. This will leg out well until MUFASA and SONIC III open.

the early footage from cinemacon was GOOD. universal also went all in for the presentation. i think its going to be massive for a musical and does 125 over the 5 day. this and moana gonna have the theaters eatin' GOOD.

• Like 1