Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Right, which means the eventual reveal it's a "Part One," if it's a part one, will be a major disappointment. If it's a full movie, all bets are off.

Spider-Verse was also a Part One but was one of the most profitable movies of the year and the biggest domestically of the summer until Barbie

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Spider-Verse was also a Part One but was one of the most profitable movies of the year and the biggest domestically of the summer until Barbie

Damn, Wicked playing as well as the follow-up to the best Spider-Man film? Your mouth to God's ears. I'm not convinced.

Looks like fun. Seems Universal is sticking to their guns on Thanksgiving, think between it and Moana 2 will end up hurting each other but the latter has more to lose.

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

"Part 2" is going to be The Wizard of Oz.

Calling it.

Well it's splitting the actual play in half so....kinda? But this isn't like Oz Great and Powerful where it's like based on the movie, it's its own thing.

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

"Part 2" is going to be The Wizard of Oz.

Calling it.

I think that would be hard considering WB owns that title. A play on it like Wicked: Road to Oz or something can work 

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think that would be hard considering WB owns that title. A play on it like Wicked: Road to Oz or something can work 

They can adapt the plot of the Wizard of Oz since the book is public domain. But they can't like use songs or stuff.

Spoilers for this very famous and old musical about the Wizard of Oz, there are  elements from Wizard of Oz in the second act.

What the second movies trouble has is that the first half is widely considered vastly superior to the second one.

This might end up a mess but I don't care, I'm here for all of it. The Wizard of Oz of it all, the costumes, the sets, the music, Michelle Yeoh once again bringing dignity to everything she touches, Jonathan Bailey continuing his ascent, a potentially awkward press tour. I hope this and Moana 2 stick to Thanksgiving and neither blinks because these two together are another Barbenheimer for me.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

It looks pretty hokey to me, so this is a likely skip for me unless reviews impress. Hiding its unfinished nature is understandable after how Dead Reckoning performed, but it could blow up in their faces badly this Thanksgiving. At least unlike Spider-Verse they have the second part fully filmed.

Knowing that they actually built that fully functioning train including tracks, and that those are sets and not green screens, they need to get a Barbie style on-set show off video out around the time of release. 

Also, 100% in.