Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

Posted (edited)

Grande seems absolutely unbearably terrible

Also it's a bit moot since it's one of the most famous musicals of all time but it really is basically the whole movie in 3 minutes.

Edited by SpiderByte

19 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Got serious Frozen vibes from this trailer, yeah I know Wicked came out first.

Production values look great along with singing. I really want this to be a huge hit. It has been a long time since the last blockbuster musical film.

This movie would have been much more massive 10 years ago.

At least there is no part 1 in the title at the end of trailer. Keep it completely out of the marketing from now on and only having in on the movie like Dune and IT would be the smart choice.

I love Ariana, homewreckerness aside. Her music has made my life so much better and gotten me through tough times. But like…why has she not graduated from Nickelodeon acting yet? Like this is James Corden levels of awful for musical casting holy fucking shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric the IF said:

I love Ariana, homewreckerness aside. Her music has made my life so much better and gotten me through tough times. But like…why has she not graduated from Nickelodeon acting yet? Like this is James Corden levels of awful for musical casting holy fucking shit.

It's a musical so as long as the singing is great the acting doesn't matter? 

13 minutes ago, Eric the IF said:

The singing is fine but God the regular acting (which is most of the trailer) is very bad.

Though I am happy this trailer isn't actively trying to hide that it's a musical. Such a dumb trend.

Holy moly you people are being astonishingly dramatic. The acting seems on par with... any movie. Ariana is not doing anything in this trailer that screams bad acting, lmao. Get a hold of yourselves.

(Is it me or are there definitely shots from the 2nd half of the musical in this trailer...?)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The singing is fine but God the regular acting (which is most of the trailer) is very bad.

Though I am happy this trailer isn't actively trying to hide that it's a musical. Such a dumb trend.

Ariana has never been a good actress. I can remember when she was on Nickelodeon. Her and the goth girl were the probably the best singers children's TV have ever produced but she was 100% the worst actor on that show.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

She wasn’t even good on Victorious tbh. Like the rest of the cast acted circles around her. If she didn’t have the voice of an angel, she would be doing CW schlock like everybody else in the cast.

Just now, AJG said:

Ariana has never been a good actress. I can remember when she was on Nickelodeon. Her and the goth girl were the probably the singers children's TV have ever produced but she was 100% the worst actor on that show.

Zendaya was horrendous on her Disney show. So...?

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Ariana has never been a good actress. I can remember when she was on Nickelodeon. Her and the goth girl were the probably the singers children's TV have ever produced but she was 100% the worst actor on that show.

Elizabeth Gillies deserved the career Ariana got. No cap.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, CJohn said:

This won't even do 100M OS. You read it here first.

It’ll make £40m+ here in the UK alone I bet. 

I’ve actually never seen Wicked on stage, but this looks BIG to me. Love Ariana and Cynthia. 

• Like 2

I'm a little mixed about this trailer , i don't know many things about the musical so i don't know if it's accurate or not but for me i think the first half of the trailer isn't good, with Harry Potter vibes but not in the good way with cliche caracters ( like the popular girl and boy : Grande and Bailey) . I don't know if the  thematic of the musical are fresh in 2024 or not. I don't think the problems are the acting for Grande but more the character . The second biggest problem for me is i saw the whole movie or the direction of the movie in 3 minutes but the movie is in 6 MONTHS. I don't know if it's the good strategy .

He has got positive things , the VFX , costume and sets are really good . Michelle Yeoh looks really good also for the villain role . Cynthia Erivo looks PHENOMENAL for Elpheba .

18 minutes ago, Eric the IF said:

She wasn’t even good on Victorious tbh. Like the rest of the cast acted circles around her. If she didn’t have the voice of an angel, she would be doing CW schlock like everybody else in the cast.

Yeah man, if she wasn't one of the most talented singers of the last 20 years, she'd be a boring CW actress! Great analysis.

I'd also like to throw out, if Lebron James was bad at basketball, he'd be a CW schlock.

If Michael Phelps couldn't swim, he'd be a CW schlock.

OK last post on this, lmao. What career for Ariana Grande are you TALKING about??? She's a singer! It's not like she's been thriving in Hollywood stealing all these roles from more deserving actresses. This is it! This is her only major theatrical movie she's ever done! Folks need to get a grip.