Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

Posted (edited)

As a fan of Wizard of Oz, I'll probably go see this but the trailers aren't very appealing if I'm being honest.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I loved Oz: The Great and the Powerful and I would've much rather seen a sequel to that than whatever this is.

Edited by poweranimals

On 5/15/2024 at 1:45 PM, Old Spice said:

IMO, the biggest obstacle to this being as good as it could be is that it's taking a great 2 hour and 40 minute-ish musical and stretchhhhhing it into two movies and it's hard to imagine its doing so for any reason other than $$$$. I love John Chu and the production values look top notch, but I still have my doubts.

Jeff Goldblum as the wizard is a nice W though.

This, I got a feeling it might be The Hobbit movies all over again.

Even if they  use more of the plot of the novel then they used in the stage play, it is really, really streching the material thin.

I have to laugh at some of the predictions about the plot, though.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

This, I got a feeling it might be The Hobbit movies all over again.

Even if they  use more of the plot of the novel then they used in the stage play, it is really, really streching the material thin.

I have to laugh at some of the predictions about the plot, though.

Truthfully I cannot recall any song from the second half of the musical. How they pull off a Part 2 will be interesting.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Truthfully I cannot recall any song from the second half of the musical. How they pull off a Part 2 will be interesting.

I'm surprised so many people do not consider No Good Deed one of the more popular songs. I'm biased because it's my favorite even without seeing the musical, but perhaps I'm out of the loop.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'm surprised so many people do not consider No Good Deed one of the more popular songs. I'm biased because it's my favorite even without seeing the musical, but perhaps I'm out of the loop.

For Good is a classic. If they nail it, oh man...

18 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

For Good is a classic. If they nail it, oh man...

Best song in the show.

A lot of the Wizard Of Oz fans are going to be surprised since.....

Spoiler

The whole conceit behind the novel and the stage show is a pretty massive revisionist take on the basic charecters.

The Wicked Witch is a much Misundertood and Put Upon charecters who has good reasons for her ending up the way shoe does, and Glind the "Good Witch" is pretty much a hypocritical, conniving, scheming  charecter who is not really very admirable.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, theruraljuror1121 said:

Weird to see so many confused takes on "what" this is. Being compared to a Disney Channel Movie, a poorly-received decade old reboot, among others and not....ya know...one of the most successful Broadway musicals of all time. 

Remember what became of these movies based on some of the most successful broadway musicals of all time?

Edit: Fun fact - these are all based on Musicals that are in the Top 20 highest grossing Broadway of all time. Of the top 20 only Mamma Mia, Hairspray, and Les Mis have found success as movies.

s-l1600.jpg

9F6MXtuhNAgzj4EPkM38c0cWBh2.jpg

paBfcx7dN7RYlWX8ro0vQlV3diZ.jpg

tmRDp6Q0C75OQ75pq3kIfybPAow.jpg

u7jzcuuqtL7aQP72UYqfdhparxE.jpg

mh2NS4byoE5gXta937M7ydingV.jpg

Edited by AJG

The Rent film adaptation was the Dear Evan Hansen movie for the aughts (where the decision to bring back most of the original Broadway cast after having aged out of their roles proved to be its downfall).

I'd like to see someone take another shot at Jersey Boys down the road. Eastwood was clearly the wrong director for the material.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 5:53 AM, theruraljuror1121 said:

Weird to see so many confused takes on "what" this is. Being compared to a Disney Channel Movie, a poorly-received decade old reboot, among others and not....ya know...one of the most successful Broadway musicals of all time. 

The novel was also pretty damn sucessful.

Edited by dudalb

On 5/22/2024 at 9:33 AM, ChipDerby said:

There's a stark difference between the broadway shows mentioned in that post, and Wicked.

DOdgin the issues some of us have with trying to stretch a two and half hour Stage show into Two movies.

Posted (edited)

On 5/22/2024 at 3:05 PM, AJG said:

Remember what became of these movies based on some of the most successful broadway musicals of all time?

Edit: Fun fact - these are all based on Musicals that are in the Top 20 highest grossing Broadway of all time. Of the top 20 only Mamma Mia, Hairspray, and Les Mis have found success as movies.

s-l1600.jpg

9F6MXtuhNAgzj4EPkM38c0cWBh2.jpg

paBfcx7dN7RYlWX8ro0vQlV3diZ.jpg

tmRDp6Q0C75OQ75pq3kIfybPAow.jpg

u7jzcuuqtL7aQP72UYqfdhparxE.jpg

mh2NS4byoE5gXta937M7ydingV.jpg

What's common for all these movies? No movie stars in the cast.

While Mamma mia has Meryl Streep (post devil wears prada boom), Les Mis is full of stars. Hairspray has Zac Efron in the post high school musical boom, the king of musicals John Travolta etc... 

Musicals need stars more than any other genre.

Honestly like any popstar acting as hobby i don't think Ariana Grande sells tickets (but a musical is a right role for a pop star at least) and this movie needed a very big star as Elphaba. It's the typical cast with all these "little names" of the moment like Erivo, Yeoh, Jonathan Bailey.

I'm not saying these names in the future can't became a-list stars, just they are chosen in the moment to be cool names in the month they were making the cast and usually these kind of randomly made casts "don't bring too much luck".

People mocked Evan hansen for "old actors doing young people" and here is the kinda the same (but nobody is attacking it for the same thing).

People mocked Cats cause the cast felt random with like "jason derulo and judi dench" and the cast here kinda feels the same to me. 

Edited by vale9001

On 5/20/2024 at 8:40 PM, AJG said:

this is for good erasure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeh I got the trailer in IMAX before Furiosa and it gave me goosebumps. 

Have never seen the show, strangely. But I’m just going to wait for the film. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1