Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Boss Baby is honestly better than everything Illumination has released save for Sing. It has a huge heart and actually teaches a message about accepting siblings. Even if most of the humor is only chuckle worthy, it's a nice film. Back me up @Blankments

Sure.  If you feel that way, they who am I to tell you that you are wrong.  IMO, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen and it made me mad watching it.  But different strokes different folks.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The whole animation = made for kids argument kind of degrades animation as a whole.

Not it is not. It is the truth. You are too young to understand it but the older I get, the less likely it is for me to enjoy an animation film the way I did when I was a child.

And I know a lot of guys that feel the same too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Sure.  If you feel that way, they who am I to tell you that you are wrong.  IMO, it's one of the worst films I've ever seen and it made me mad watching it.  But different strokes different folks.

But you walked out 20-30 minutes in!

19 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I think you are overreacting.

The people that watch Illumination films are liking them. Just because you don't find them appealing it doesn't mean that other people think so as well.

I liked the two Despicable Me movies and Sing way more than things like Zootopia,Frozen or Moana.

Why? Because they have a lot more heart.

I can't think why there is anything for them to change If their audience is so much approving of their work.

And its not like to say, that there aren't competition that critics like more.

But that's what I see:

Secret life of Pets grossed more than Zootopia DOM

Sing  grossed more than Moana

And the Despicable Me franchise is bigger than possibly any animation franchise except Toy Story.

Agree with a lot of what you say. Pets legs (3.53x) are better than another original like say, Boss Bay (3.46) despite much bigger numbers so folks obviously liked it.

But Pixar won the year with Dory with 486.3 :P (also 3.6x legs - despite 135 ow, sequel and pent up demand)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

The writing in BB was so awful imo, it was nails on a chalkboard for 30 minutes.  So incredibly stupid that a baby found on the street dressed in a tuxedo could make the parents of another baby forget all about him and concentrate just on some derelict kid.  It was infuriating.

• Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm not real thrilled about Boss Baby's success either but since it never had a bizarrely passionate defender base on this forum I never felt the need to make my stance clear.

I understand if some new unknown property for whatever reason strikes a chord with an audience even if I don't like it that much, but with a franchise like Despicable Me that I'm really tiring of seeing the toys and marketing for, yes, I hope people see the light soon. And I felt that way about Disney and Pixar's Cars as well.

Boss Baby did well because it was the first animated film in a month since Lego Batman. And Dreamworks marketed it pretty well for BB to have an over $50M OW.

And thank god so....because Dreamworks really needed another hit along with Trolls.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Not it is not. It is the truth. You are too young to understand it but the older I get, the less likely it is for me to enjoy an animation film the way I did when I was a child.

And I know a lot of guys that feel the same too.

So South Park, The Killing Joke, Family Guy, Sausage Party, Robot Chicken, and countless other adult animation is meant for kids in mind.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Not comparable. It was a hotly anticipated sequel to one of the most beloved piece of animation ever.

SLOP feels a bigger success story to me from every aspect.

Despite that it had slightly better legs (3.60x...486.3/135) than an original like SLOP (3.53x...368.4/104.35)

Just before the release enough folks were doubting it will beat Shrek2 to become the biggest animation ever, never mind beating it by 40-45m

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Despite that it had slightly better legs (3.60x...486.3/135) than an original like SLOP (3.53x...368.4/104.35)

Yeah, but it was expected since it was very beloved by critics and had more hype.

And i loved Finding Dory, BTW.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Personally I enjoy animated movies more as an adult. I'm more selective about which ones I watch but I'm more willing to take the time to appreciate the dialogue and visual artistry that goes over your head as a kid. And there's more than enough films like those that I have zero patience for the "it's not for you, it's for kids" argument.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I hate to be the Pixar guy. But you know Pixar makes movies that kids can enjoy as well as adults. Saying its for kids is a lazy excuse for what is clearly not highest quality product.

Not always though.

Out of the recent Pixar animation movies that I have watched as an adult the only one that felt to me like it was made both for adults and kids as well was Inside Out.

That's not to say that adults cannot enjoy them. But when they are making Cars they definitely have kids as their target audience in mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Not always though.

Out of the recent Pixar animation movies that I have watched as an adult the only one that felt to me like it was made both for adults and kids as well was Inside Out.

That's not to say that adults cannot enjoy them. But when they are making Cars they definitely have kids as their target audience in mind.

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Not always though.

Yeah. this is true. (although I think Dory should definitely be alongside Inside Out there)

And I'm not inherently Illumination I like the first DM a lot and I actually think The Lorax is pretty underrated.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

Do you have kids?  If kids like something then more times than not the parents like it.  Most people aren't like us.  Most people don't go to a film and dissect the living shit out of it.  Most parents go to a a film and hope their kids like it.  If the kids like it, parents are happy they do.  

Amen.  My mom took my 2 nephews to Transformers yesterday (they are 12 and 13).  I said, "Mom, of all the movies, what made you pick Transformers?"  And she said, "B/c I figured the boys would like it."  And I said "So, did you take a nap during the movie?" and she said, "No, but I didn't really pay attention to any of it...I was just happy they were happy watching it."

PS - One nephew's family was going to Wonder Woman together, so that was out...and the boys thought Cars 3 was gonna be too babyish:)...

• Like 1