Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

The most recent Transformers isn't exactly the best movie to make your point.

Of course there are parents out there who will go to anything their kids want to see, but for a movie to really break out there have to be a lot of adults as willing participants as well.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The most recent Transformers isn't exactly the best movie to make your point.

Of course there are parents out there who will go to anything their kids want to see, but for a movie to really break out there have to be a lot of adults as willing participants as well.

But it is...summer is almost entirely about families...and getting them to head with their 0-18 kids to have some quality time together while the kids have downtime - whether they are on vacation, visiting grandma, bored on a lazy afternoon, etc.  Summer is like Christmas...movies go bonkers b/c selling 4-6 tickets at a time is way better than selling 1 at a time...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Amen.  My mom took my 2 nephews to Transformers yesterday (they are 12 and 13).  I said, "Mom, of all the movies, what made you pick Transformers?"  And she said, "B/c I figured the boys would like it."  And I said "So, did you take a nap during the movie?" and she said, "No, but I didn't really pay attention to any of it...I was just happy they were happy watching it."

PS - One nephew's family was going to Wonder Woman together, so that was out...and the boys thought Cars 3 was gonna be too babyish:)...

Amen.  I think until you have kids, you can't truly appreciate this line of thinking.  You can't really explain it to someone who doesn't have kids.  That's not pretentious, it's just the way it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Transformers isn't going "bonkers" right now, though

In a summer with everything crashing and burning, and it being hated by critics and not loved by the audience posting reviews (aka adults)...it is gonna break into at least the mid-$100s and be in the top 10.  What non-appealing kid movie could pull that off?  Seems it's not-kid-friendly equivalent with better reviews and audience reception, Alien C, with the R rating, couldn't pull that off...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In a summer with everything crashing and burning, and it being hated by critics and not loved by the audience posting reviews (aka adults)...it is gonna break into at least the mid-$100s and be in the top 10.  What non-appealing kid movie could pull that off?  Seems it's not-kid-friendly equivalent with better reviews and audience reception, Alien C, with the R rating, couldn't pull that off...

:mellow:

Please tell me the flaws in this argument are so obvious to everyone else that I don't need to respond to this

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Are you trying to imply that Transformers 5 domestic box office is impressive? You are the first.

No, I'm saying it would be disastrous if released any other time of year or with an R rating.  It was made to appeal to ages 9-15 as one of its core groups and it's that group that will save its DOM BO vs some of the R-rated "crash and burns" like Aliens, Baywatch, etc...

Not a whole lot was released for teens this summer and it shows...Pirates benefited (everyone says "how is it getting those late legs...duh!:) with its subpar reviews and middling adult audience reception and Transformers will be benefiting...

And let's also throw in the other PG-13 skew for teens - 47 Meters Down, which will beat 1/2 of this summer's R releases after having been available for free for a year...and yet, people still go:)...

Summer is a time when kids 0-18 drive the movie going train...you can like it, you can hate it...but accepting it is helpful...

Once schools are back, adults get to take over again:)...til Christmas...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

#DespicableMe3DM_Gru_Emojiv2.png: Disjointed story but good to have Carell back. Plenty of 80s references. Summer junkfood for kids, parents can tolerate.

This is exactly what people are saying, we should be able to expect more from animation than "parents can tolerate."

• Like 1

On 6/16/2017 at 7:08 PM, Asyulus said:

What's your RT and metascore guess? guys?

RT: 83%

Metascore: 66

On 6/16/2017 at 8:39 PM, Jack said:

Rt 60%

Around what Minions does.

Currently 66%RT

;)

You know what I find funny? The fact that some people here state 'Pixar being quality' as a FACT. LMAO. It is about taste. Pixar made only one truly great film so far imo. The fact that you like them means only that. If you bring me the critic argument, which means a majority likes it, then I will bring you the money argument. DM is the biggest animation franchise in history on a WW level. And like it or not, Minions had some insane legs OS. And yeah, SLOP is the best animation of last year and one of the best ever. As an adult, it kept me entertained as hell (which most animated films cannot do) and appealed to the animal lover in me. Illumination truly is the smartest studio out there. You know why? Because generally speaking, american animations (I call the  that to differentiate them from animes, where the true quality lies) are made for kids. You can't expect parents or adults in general to be as entertained by an animation as the kids. So you appeal to them by bringing in universal values: humor, love for animals etc. 

Like it or not, western animations can't treat deep themes  too well, simply because they have to keep their rating and they have to make everything understandable by kids. Saying Pixar makes deep movies is hilarious.    

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

According to box office guru, 40% of minions' OW audience were non-families

The term "non families" feels vague. If I get my little cousin to see this do I count as family?

Not. But I would still call this family audience.

Anyway, I don't really have faith in those stats at all.