Neo

Despicable Me 3 | June 30, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 9

I think the Illumination films are so succesfull because they are just brainless, fast and colorfull entertainment. One doesnt expect something like Despicable Me 3 to gain any amount of high praise or win any awards; parents are taking their kids to these movies because the kids will definetly be entertained and there are some adult jokes in the movies.

Now thats also the reason why they are so hated. Pixar and Disney Animations have their misses (Cars 2 for example) but the vast majority of ther films have near-perfect animation (doesnt apply to Illumination), diverse and complex characters (doesnt apply to Illumination), great music (doesnt apply to Illumination) and (most of the time) well-thought out storys which always offer some new ideas (doesnt apply to Illumination). When you watch something like Zootopia or Inside Out, you feel the world, you are amazed by the visuels and the thematic depth of the storys. When you watch Despicable Me, you (maybe) like the characters and the story is fun. But thats it. Illumination Films are the Fast Food of Animation. Nothing is original in them or worth thinking about.

For the record, i dont hate Illumination. Their strategy is that of a succesfull business and thats totally fine. They know what their audience wants and they deliver in this regard. But i will laugh at anyone who argues that their films are competing with Disney/Pixar in therms of actual quality.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I think the Illumination films are so succesfull because they are just brainless, fast and colorfull entertainment. One doesnt expect something like Despicable Me 3 to gain any amount of high praise or win any awards; parents are taking their kids to these movies because the kids will definetly be entertained and there are some adult jokes in the movies.

Now thats also the reason why they are so hated. Pixar and Disney Animations have their misses (Cars 2 for example) but the vast majority of ther films have near-perfect animation (doesnt apply to Illumination), diverse and complex characters (doesnt apply to Illumination), great music (doesnt apply to Illumination) and (most of the time) well-thought out storys which always offer some new ideas (doesnt apply to Illumination). When you watch something like Zootopia or Inside Out, you feel the world, you are amazed by the visuels and the thematic depth of the storys. When you watch Despicable Me, you (maybe) like the characters and the story is fun. But thats it. Illumination Films are the Fast Food of Animation. Nothing is original in them or worth thinking about.

For the record, i dont hate Illumination. Their strategy is that of a succesfull business and thats totally fine. They know what their audience wants and they deliver in this regard. But i will laugh at anyone who argues that their films are competing with Disney/Pixar in therms of actual quality.

Sing disputes that (given the number of great songs it covered). ;)

• Like 1

I really like both Dreamworks & Illumination as pretty popular animation brands.

However...if i would pick which studio which i think is better....my bet is on Dreamworks. Since they have been competing with Disney & Pixar the longest....and that Dreamworks made not only 1, not 2...but 4 animated franchises that were commercially successful. And also....Dreamworks seems to be more experienced when making animated films that people really like.

It'd be easier to just write this off as the trifle it is if it weren't for the defensiveness of the franchise's "fans" (for lack of a better word). The constant pigeonholing of detractors as animation snobs just annoys us even more, and it for the most part comes from people who otherwise don't give a crap about animated movies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It'd be easier to just write this off as the trifle it is if it weren't for the defensiveness of the franchise's "fans" (for lack of a better word). The constant pigeonholing of detractors as animation snobs just annoys us even more, and it for the most part comes from people who otherwise don't give a crap about animated movies.

It's gonna be a top 5 DOM movie this summer, so not sure about writing it off as "trifle"...it is not a dramatic animation, it's not a sci-fi animation, it's not a tragic animation...it's a light supers comedy in animation form.  It's enjoyable for what it is...amusing with some laugh-out-loud funny parts for both kids and adults.  It succeeds in its own concept.  It's no Kubo, but it never wanted to be...

You don't have to like it...you just have to accept that it is a popular GA franchise that has not yet reached its fatigue point...maybe it will with this one...or maybe this will keep churning for another 5 additions if they keep it fresh...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, cannastop said:

RT went down. Average critic now 5.9/10.

DM2 is 6.6/10 with 73%.

CARS3 is 6.1/10 with 66%.
MINIONS is 5.8/10 with 56%.

DM3 is 5.9/10 with 81%. So I expect DM3's RT score to drop.

Or else it seems to be a unique case of lots and lots of people liking it but not by a big degree.

Would work for a summer animation considering we haven't had a huge animation this year.

Compare with last year - Dory, Zootp, Pets had released before summer ended. Sing and Moana combined did 500+ later on.

DM3 could be the only animation this year to cross 200 (and 300 but that's besides the point). COCO could fall below 200 imo.

Edited by a2knet

11 hours ago, a2knet said:

DM2 is 6.6/10 with 73%.

CARS3 is 6.1/10 with 66%.
MINIONS is 5.8/10 with 56%.

DM3 is 5.9/10 with 81%. So I expect DM3's RT score to drop.

Or else it seems to be a unique case of lots and lots of people liking it but not by a big degree.

Would work for a summer animation considering we haven't had a huge animation this year.

Compare with last year - Dory, Zootp, Pets had released before summer ended. Sing and Moana combined did 500+ later on.

DM3 could be the only animation this year to cross 200 (and 300 but that's besides the point). COCO could fall below 200 imo.

Looks like you're right, DM3 now down to 5.6/10 at 71%. Reviewers saying it's pretty "meh".  71% is kind of high considering people barely seem to like it. At this point, I'm expecting Baby Driver to really break out, DM3 to have a decent but soft opening, WW to continue holding better than average, C3 to fall off quite a bit with TF5 falling off fairly steeply but retaining a top 3 spot, if not top 2.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BourneFan #1 said:

It always feels nice to get a good ranking out of your system.

1. Despicable Me

2. The Secret Life of Pets

3. Despicable Me 2

4. Minions

5. Sing

6. The Lorax

7. Hop

You just made me realize I've seen all of those movies except one. :depp:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Hop is too low...that was a great Easter movie!:)...

Probably true considering how few major studio Easter movies therre are

... unless The Passion counts

Edited by tribefan695