lilmac

Most Overrated Movies of 2014

I still don't get why you refuse to understand that a high-grossing movie that gets a lot of attention will naturally be on "most-overrated" lists if it is also "critically" acclaimed (either by critics or the users here). Given that I disliked AS it is an obvious choice for me, without its financial success playing any part in this.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

I still don't get why you refuse to understand that a high-grossing movie that gets a lot of attention will naturally be on "most-overrated" lists if it is also "critically" acclaimed (either by critics or the users here).

I just wish people would be a little more imaginative rather than picking the same successful movies every fucking year. its a way for  all the hipsters to shit on the popular movies annually, if it makes you all feel better then go ahead I guess. American sniper had 75% on RT, not amazing, just pretty good, had it grossed around 90-100m like expected it wouldn't have gotten a mention but now its become a big success  people just love to jump on that bandwagon of hate lol. I have a problem with these threads because it always consists of the top 10 grossing movies of the year as the most popular choices, its pointless and quite frankly, a buzz kill.

Bandwagon of hate? Hipsters? Where the hell do you see this?

If one cannot understand the hype or the positive reactions towards a movie, than it is the natural choice for such a slogan. Of course it will always be a movie admired/liked/loved by most. Otherwise it wouldn't be overrated (in that person's view).

• Like 1

Bandwagon of hate? Hipsters? Where the hell do you see this?

If one cannot understand the hype or the positive reactions towards a movie, than it is the natural choice for such a slogan. Of course it will always be a movie admired/liked/loved by most. Otherwise it wouldn't be overrated (in that person's view).

But its just so damn predictable, ever year its the highest grossing movie with the most mentions, even when TDK came out. Transformers 4 is the only exception because people here actually believe the majority hate Bay as much as they do therefore it earned what it did simply because its part of an established franchise. Take away all the expected franchise grosses at the top of the chart and you are left with the surprise hits that get all the mentions, its the same pattern every year and people don't even elaborate why they think movie A is overrated. Its a buzz kill, there's no fun it that, is there?

I'm sure you know what the word "overrated" means.

So, no surprises that it will normally come from films that are received well and do well that people can't get into. What do you want to see on these lists? Ride Along, Transformer 4, Maleficent & Planes: Fire and Rescue? Or because they have high grosses, and you think that's unfair, maybe you want it to be Transcendence, Brick Mansions and Winter's Tale? Or, if you don't give a shit, then why are you here making the same comment?

Don't come in and say "indie flicks/Oscar flicks" because those always make the list. Why do you even care anyway?

Overrated: Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, Captain America: TWS, Fault in Our Stars and Gone Girl. 

• Like 1

I'm sure you know what the word "overrated" means.

So, no surprises that it will normally come from films that are received well and do well that people can't get into. What do you want to see on these lists? Ride Along, Transformer 4, Maleficent & Planes: Fire and Rescue? Or because they have high grosses, and you think that's unfair, maybe you want it to be Transcendence, Brick Mansions and Winter's Tale? Or, if you don't give a shit, then why are you here making the same comment?

Don't come in and say "indie flicks/Oscar flicks" because those always make the list. Why do you even care anyway?

Overrated: Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Hero 6, Captain America: TWS, Fault in Our Stars and Gone Girl.

I just think you lot are overly negative without good reason. It's just a list of popular movies without an explanation as to why you find it overrated, what don't you like about these films? At least discuss why rather than just listing the names of the popular movies. There are some really popular movies I dislike but I wouldn't call them overrated because I can see the appeal in them. Take harry potter for example, I think they are boring, poorly acted kiddie fare but I couldn't bring myself to call them overrated because I can definitely see the appeal and why people rate them so highly.

Lego movie/GOTG are pure popcorn blockbusters that are aimed for people who just want to switch their brains off and have fun for a couple of hours, not looking for anything too serious. They are build just for laid back entertainment, no-one thinks GOTG is a masterpiece, it's just fun and if I didn't like it I still wouldn't call it overrated, just not my taste whilst I can easily see the appeal.

To be fair, I can see why Lego has been mentioned given the fact so many people have called it a masterpiece but the mention of GOTG is just baffling

Edited by jessie

Lucy-Most people seem to think it was good not great, whereas I think it is pretentious, moronic, dull, and depressing the only F of the year

Birdman- I think this film is either rather good or mediocre depending on the day, and the editing is marvelous, but I just never see it as an amazing film

X-Men:DoFP- probably the only movie that I can simultaneously give an A to and call overrated