druv10

WKND BO: Frozen $20.7M/$297.8M, Paranormal 18.2, Hobbit 16.3/229.6, Wolf 13.4 (new Sun #s pg 83)

I know a guy who loves animation movies and cites films like The Lion King, Spirited Away, and Toy Story 3 as some of his favorite of all time. He saw Frozen and wrote a review saying it was entirely mediocre aside from the animation and couldn't help but wonder what the fuss was all about. Oh wait, that was me!Anecdotes are fun. ;)

You're pretty much alone there though.Most people love it and want to enjoy it's box office run.

How can you not love those people that think if they didn't enjoy a classic movie then all those who did just willingly deluded themselves. It's almost adorable. 

About as adorable as this:

Posted Image

• Like 2

I know a guy who loves animation movies and cites films like The Lion King, Spirited Away, and Toy Story 3 as some of his favorite of all time. He saw Frozen and wrote a review saying it was entirely mediocre aside from the animation and couldn't help but wonder what the fuss was all about. Oh wait, that was me!

Anecdotes are fun. ;)

I love your Frozen meltdowns. You know a movie has arrived when the hate is this strong. :P Posted Image

27 pages and there's maybe 2 pages of box office talk.  One of the most painful threads to read through.  For those just joining us, here are the numbers:

Deadline

PA 8.5M

Frozen 6.8m

DOS 5M

WOLF 4.3

HUSTLE 4M

ANCHOR 3.8M

BANKS 2.7M

CF 2.2-2.4

GRUDGE 1.7M

RONIN 1.5M

Nikki tweeted an early guess which created this thread ( probably shouldn't have) and there weren't any other numbers for 3-4 hours. 

A vacuum is always filled.

Edited by AndyLL

Finally got around to seeing Smaug, and I've got to say... I'm pissed we got literally every trailer except Godzilla <_<

I've seen that trailer twice in the cinema already. Both times I heard a bunch of people saying it looked awesome afterwards. 

I'm not even alone on this forum though, let alone in real life. Jack Nevada hates it too, so ha! :P

Sorry, I don't hate it. It's just boring and underwhelming and not very good.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Smaug looks good for 17m, which is a 41.44% drop. Since New Year's is past we can go back to directly mirroring Smaug with AUJ. AUJ on this same weekend dropped 45%, which is some evidence that Smaug is developing better January legs than AUJ had.

Looking ahead to January weekend 2, we have Hercules opening wide and two films expanding wide (Her and Lone Survivor). On the same weekend last year, AUJ dropped 47.7% against ZD30 going to 2900+ theaters and two films opening (A Haunted House and Gangster Squad) to the tune of 59.6m between the 3 movies. I don't see Lone Survivor, Her, and Hercules combining for that amount.

So, with weaker competition next week, we will see if Smaug mirrors AUJ's performance, or does substantially better. If the latter happens, then we will have strong proof that Smaug's late legs will be substantially better.

Getting pissed about the huge success of an animation musical of all things is pretty funny.  I haven't seen an animation movie since Shrek 2 and I don't give a shit at all, lol.

I actually hope it sprouts super late legs and beats Iron Man 3 and Catching Fire and wins the year.

• Like 7

Oh, listing time? Well here are the major Oscar contenders I've seen

Mine are

1. Gravity

2. Saving Mr. Banks

3. Captain Phillips

4. Fruitvale Station

5. 12 Years a Slave

6. American Hustle

7. Prisoners

8. The Great Gatsby