druv10

WKND BO: Frozen $20.7M/$297.8M, Paranormal 18.2, Hobbit 16.3/229.6, Wolf 13.4 (new Sun #s pg 83)

That's actually a great drop for PA Marked Ones.Saturday Drops:PA4 -37.7%PA3 -34.6%PA2 -35.2%Yeh it's opened way smaller, but maybe weather did impact yesterday slightly. And there wasn't as much anticipation. More like 19.5m than the 17m I expected after Friday number.

I don't think the "weather effected it" excuse can be used for PA anymore. Yeah it's Saturday drop was better than the other films but the numbers are on a much smaller scale. The big reason though is that all the holdovers (particularly DoS) had fairly moderate Saturday boosts. If weather really effected the box office I think the Sat bumps would be a bit bigger.

I could be wrong though, I haven't paid much attention to the weather reports or anything today so I don't know if it was bad anywhere Saturday.

I'm not saying it had a huge impact, but Variety stated it could make differences in the $500,000 range for some films. Mainly because NYC is effected. Not trying to spin. It's not a great opening, also not a bad one for a spin off.Wonder what the next film to cover its budget on opening day will be?

• Like 2

I'm not saying it had a huge impact, but Variety stated it could make differences in the $500,000 range for some films. Mainly because NYC is effected.Not trying to spin. It's not a great opening, also not a bad one for a spin off.Wonder what the next film to cover its budget on opening day will be?

Devil's Due maybe?  Those horror films are normally done on a tight budget and they make a hell of a profit almost everytime.

• Like 1

Yeh Devils Due looks good and early word is that it's scary. Definitely not another Devil Inside fiasco. Anyway, Marked Ones continues the tradition of opening a horror film over $10m on the first weekend of the year. Regardless of quality lol. 2013 Texas Chainsaw $21.7m2012 The Devil Inside $33.6m2011 Season of the Witch $10m2010 Daybreakers $15m2009 The Unborn $19m2008 One Missed Call $10m20072006 Hostel $19m2005 White Noise $24m

• Like 2

Yeh Devils Due looks good and early word is that it's scary. Definitely not another Devil Inside fiasco.Anyway, Marked Ones continues the tradition of opening a horror film over $10m on the first weekend of the year. Regardless of quality lol.2013 Texas Chainsaw $21.7m2012 The Devil Inside $33.6m2011 Season of the Witch $10m2010 Daybreakers $15m2009 The Unborn $19m2008 One Missed Call $10m20072006 Hostel $19m2005 White Noise $24m

Damn 2007. This would have been the 10th straight year of that without that gap.

But yet, it's the only one of two movies to have been number one for 3 weeks straight, there is nothing to be embarrased about.

People have definitely been way too hard on DoS. Ever since AUJ failed to gross $400 million people have labeled The Hobbit movies as disappointments despite the fact that prequels have never done better. Even the SW prequels paled in comparison to the original films as far as attendance goes, the only reason it didn't seem like it thanks to 20 years worth of inflation. DoS is a moderate hit and will churn plenty of profit once international grosses, home releases, and merchandising is put into the equation.

But yet, it's the only one of two movies to have been number one for 3 weeks straight, there is nothing to be embarrased about.

If u worked for a studio distributing one of the most highly anticipated films of the year and after it was on top for 3 weeks a film that came out nearly 3 weeks before it rose above it that would nt embarras u? (This is not adam's (bless him but) stupid argument i do not share his delusions that wb will seize control i just picture them being embarrassed by this)
  • Like 1

People have definitely been way too hard on DoS. Ever since AUJ failed to gross $400 million people have labeled The Hobbit movies as disappointments despite the fact that prequels have never done better. Even the SW prequels paled in comparison to the original films as far as attendance goes, the only reason it didn't seem like it thanks to 20 years worth of inflation. DoS is a moderate hit and will churn plenty of profit once international grosses, home releases, and merchandising is put into the equation.

Can you tell us what prequels you are referring to?  And just for the record, 99% of the big films today pale in comparison in attendance to big films from the 70's and 80's.  No DVD's, no netflix, no burning.  

• Like 3

I can understand why Frozen is doing so well, it's Despicable Me 2 all over again. The country is full of little kids and families, and quite frankly, The Hobbit is a bit long and boring for some of those kids, and when you have little kids, the parents must come with them, so it's just common sense to know that Frozen will do well. In the end, it will come down to DVD sales, and correct me if I'm wrong, but The Hobbit has like number 5 or something, not too bad for a prequel that everyone seemed to hate, or was disappointed in. I'm pretty sure DOS will be even better, especially when the EE comes out. There's got to be at least another 30 minutes missing from the movie.

If u worked for a studio distributing one of the most highly anticipated films of the year and after it was on top for 3 weeks a film that came out nearly 3 weeks before it rose above it that would nt embarras u? (This is not adam's (bless him but) stupid argument i do not share his delusions that wb will seize control i just picture them being embarrassed by this)

If I worked at a studio, the only thing I would be worried about is getting my money back on the movie, and with The Hobbit (first one already made a billion, this one is going to be pretty close) and the third is going to be pure profit, not to mention DVD/Bluray sales, merchandise, and whatnot, I don't think the studios are caring right now, they're all laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 1

It's disappointing when a sequel that is better grosses less than its predecessor.That's why STID's drop didn't bother me as much since it was a step down from Abrams' first outing. But damn was Smaug better than AUJ. Not even a contest.*cue baumer and Jack Nevada vociferously disagreeing*

Edited by 4815162342

If I worked at a studio, the only thing I would be worried about is getting my money back on the movie, and with The Hobbit (first one already made a billion, this one is going to be pretty close) and the third is going to be pure profit, not to mention DVD/Bluray sales, merchandise, and whatnot, I don't think the studios are caring right now, they're all laughing all the way to the bank.

This is an actual photo from a WB party, taken in their New Zealnad studio:

Posted Image

And then later than evening:

Posted Image

• Like 1

It's disappointing when a sequel that is better grosses less than its predecessor.That's why STID's drop didn't bother me as much since it was a step down from Abrams' first outing. But damn was Smaug better than AUJ. Not even a contest.*cue baumer and Jack Nevada vociferously disagreeing*

ST isn't in the same ballpark as Hobbit, hell it isn't even the same fuckin sport.