Jack Nevada

BAFTA 2014

Yeah at this point it wouldn't shock me.

Yeah. I'm thinking this is more and more likely. Especially if Weinstein focuses his energy towards Adapted screenplay, I can see Coogan and Pope pulling off the upset with Philomena. That literally leaves N'yongo as the film's best shot, but with JLaw winning BAFTA I see her winning atm. BAFTA gives a film a good bump in a very close race; see Streep vs. Davis and Cotillard vs. Christie. 

Though I'm fairly sure picture isn't preferential at the BAFTAs so I can see Gravity, winning so many categories, benefiting from preferential. 

I thought if history taught us anything it's that you don't predict Oscar nominees, much less winners, a year in advance.

Yeay but Jolie's narrative is just so unusual for so many reasons. If the movie delivers, she has it in the bag.

• Like 1

First it has to deliver.

My personal hope is that Linklater finally gets himself some statues next year, but I'd be much more convinced of that happening if it was Fox Searchlight, Focus or (obviously) Weinstein behind BOYHOOD and not IFC. Still, his narrative is unique and awesome for its own reasons, the movie has already garnered acclaim from every corner, and if the Academy rewards the director of a 3D space thriller this year they might want to reward the director of a quiet down-to-Earth comedy/drama next year, so... maybe?