Olive

Tuesday Numbers - WOWS 1.95M, Frozen 1.9M(300M!), DOS 1.57M,

It's the part about dismissing a female aspiring animator for sexist reasons. You can't excuse that.

Oh the humanity, he was a typical male in the 1960's underestimating the potential of women!!! 

Oh what a horrid being he is.... 

This. Goddess never tried to say that Disney wasn't great, but perhaps that we are forgetting that he wasn't perfect and had his flaws. 

I'm not really commenting about that "Disney is anti-semitic!" accusation even if Tele provided information that the Motion Pictures association Disney got acquainted with was antisemitic indeed and that it fueled the fire until today.

It's the part about dismissing a female aspiring animator for sexist reasons. You can't excuse that.

I suppose you're right. I'm not gonna deny that; I'm just sick of Disney being an anti-Semitic racist being brought up every time someone says that SMB was sugarcoated. Yes, of course it was sugarcoated, but on racism, that's just utter bullshit 

That's not what anyone is saying at all.

I see this all time when we discuss the past and people always forget about moral and values are relative to the time period.

I am quite certain in 100 years people will call us intolerant because we had an view about "x" that is no longer seen as right. 

I am not saying hating on female animators is defensible though just saying considering the time period it was likely a common opinion of many and perhaps many here if we lived in the that time. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

It's really worth reading the transcript of her whole introduction:

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2014/01/meryl-streep-emma-thompson-best-speech-ever

When I saw the film, I could just imagine Walt Disney’s chagrin at having to cultivate P.L. Travers’ favor for 20 years that it took to secure the rights to her work. It must have killed him to encounter, in a woman, an equally disdainful and superior creature, a person dismissive of his own, considerable gifts and prodigious output and imagination.

Give me a break.... :rolleyes: 

Edited by Blankments

See, people, when I say one's always find excuses for artists behavior any time. :lol:

He's partially right Although the attitude is disgusting and I'm so glad we don't live in a time like that anymore, it was a pretty common attitude towards women. I can almost guarantee someone like MLK would feel the same way. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

Oh the humanity, he was a typical male in the 1960's underestimating the potential of women!!! 

Oh what a horrid being he is.... 

It was 1938... before WWII when women were generally not accepted in many jobs.

And of course in 1940... Mary Blair joined Disney as an animator and worked on many of Disney's classic films and on various Disneyland.attractions including 'its a small world'

I guess Disney reversed his views on woman animators in those 2 years.

Streep's speech is a way of celebrating PL Travers and Emma Thomson's portrayal. In an era in which women are being seen like less gifted creatures all symbolized by Disney's letter, she stands her ground while Disney wants to muddle her creation and her imagination to fit his own because he doesn't really trust women in general and doesn't advocate gender equality. In Travers, Disney met his equal. 

If you don't get that and see it as taking a cheap shot at Walt Disney aka the perfect genius and gentle father of Mickey, that's your loss. All in all, I think Streep just set the story straight and how Thomson translated that on screen because it embodied what feminists and women at large have been fighting for through centuries.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Streep's speech is a way of celebrating PL James and Emma Thomson's portrayal. In an era in which women are being seen like less gifted creatures all symbolized by Disney's letter, she stands her ground while Disney wants to muddle her creation and her imagination to fit his own because he doesn't really trust women in general and doesn't advocate gender equality. In James, Disney met his equal. 

Its sort of hilarious how a film about the creation of the film Mary Poppins is being twisted around as a symbol of gender equality by people. 

You are correct that Disney's meets his match..

However the film clearly shows that if she had completely her way the film likely would not have become a classic at all. 

It was a mix of her story and the Disney magic. 

The way you are describing things its like you never watched Mary Poppins at all. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

However the film clearly shows that if she had completely her way the film likely would not have become a classic at all. 

If she'd had her way there wouldn't have been a movie at all. And though I enjoyed Poppins (the movie), I think as a creator, she's perfectly entitled to that approach.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Streep's speech is a way of celebrating PL James and Emma Thomson's portrayal. In an era in which women are being seen like less gifted creatures all symbolized by Disney's letter, she stands her ground while Disney wants to muddle her creation and her imagination to fit his own because he doesn't really trust women in general and doesn't advocate gender equality. In James, Disney met his equal. 

Disney did not meet his equal in James.

She sold out... took her millions... then bitched about it all her life.

Disney made the movie he wanted.

All in all, I think Streep just set the story straight 

Basically all Streep did is show how dangerous it is to get your information from the Family Guy

• Like 2

If she'd had her way there wouldn't have been a movie at all. And though I enjoyed Poppins (the movie), I think as a creator, she's perfectly entitled to that approach.

The discussions between her and Disney are famous even infamous, that is why there is a movie.

The point is two things combined to make Mary Poppins in to all time popular film

Her story and the Disney Magic. .

If people then want to make it about how the film is celebration of a feminist hero over the sexist Disney, all I can do is  :rolleyes:

Edited by Lordmandeep