Olive

Tuesday Numbers - WOWS 1.95M, Frozen 1.9M(300M!), DOS 1.57M,

The actual P.L. Travers sounds much more interesting than what we got in the movie (although I freely admit that the movie's focus was solely on the MP sale/adaptation).

There should've been a subplot about her adopted son committing suicide once realizing that his mother hid a twin from him his whole life and refused to let him see the twin. 

Heck, someone else should make a Travers biopic unrelated to the Mary Poppins adaptation (too bad copyright claims to her life probably lie with Disney now :P )

Walt Disney is really no different than many people of his generation, hey my grandma just told me she likes them black ones the other day, it's just that image has been carefully cultivated.

• Like 1

Holy fucking shit. Dat WWE Network!!!There’s a lot that will be enticing to WWE fans, including all 12 annual WWE Pay-Per-View events, including WrestleMania, available to subscribers as part of the normal $9.99 a month package. As was noted at the announcement, buying all those Pay-Per-Views in HD alone would be $675 a year, so this is a substantial discount that also includes a ton of other content.Wilson said WWE Network offers 24/7 streaming service with live content and a video on demand library. She said the network will include all 12 WWE pay-per-view events, including WrestleMania. She said there will be groundbreaking shows, pre- and post- Raw and Smackdown shows, and eventually a daily studio show. The launch will include VOD (video on demand) access to every WWE, WCW, and ECW pay-per-view. She said they will continue to add legacy content.

Edited by #ED

:lol: Another article pointed out that there are enough similarities between TLK and a Japanese film from the '60s that if the situation were reversed, Disney would've sued them into oblivion.

Ah yes, Kimba. I really do need to check that movie out since I've heard the same (and TLK is one of my favorite Disney movies ever)

clearly you never had dinner with seniors  :P

My grandpa was an alcooholic asshole who beat and whipped my dad and his siblings asses to blood to teach them good because that was how people raised their kids in the fifties in post colonial west indies. He never showed any remorse until his death. So I've got no tolerance with people that pull their "No Biggie.Those just were the old times we did it our way, kiddo!" card to excuse all of their questionable behavior.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

Go try to make a movie about Cinderella. Or Snow White (not a "re-imagining" like SWATH).

But more to the point, the concept of copyright is to allow creators to make a profit and a worthy living off their creations. So the original length of copyright was a few decades, and then got extended to about 50 years after publication date (I forget the exact number of years). The point was that this fueled creativity and allowed many new and worthy works to be created that were based on much older stories, while still giving creators the ability to make money off their creations.

I still not sure I understand your point.  Are you sure you do?

Yes... anyone is free to do what Walt Disney did.  Take old public fables and create movies/stories about them.

But yes... you ( and everyone else ) are not allowed to copy any work uniquely produced by Disney that was not part of the public domain.

Yes the length of copyright was extended but we are talking about Walt Disney and that happened well after he died.

So...

Are you arguing that there should be no copyrights?  Anyone can copy anything?

or 

The extension of the copyright should not have been extended ( life of the creator + 50 years )

or

That no one should profit from public domain works?

:lol: Another article pointed out that there are enough similarities between TLK and a Japanese film from the '60s that if the situation were reversed, Disney would've sued them into oblivion.

Yeah. Kimba the White Lion. Originally a comic by Osamu Tezuka (creator of, among many, many other things, Astro Boy) and later a TV cartoon. I'm unsure if a single film version exists, though. It remains a contentious point for anime fans about how much TLK took from Kimba. Such that throughout the later 90s, anything Disney was basically verboten in conversations with anime fans.(I believe, had Tezuka survived to see it, he would have been bothered, but his drawing style cribbed a fair bit from the Disney designs that he probably wouldn't have taken further action.)

I still not sure I understand your point.  Are you sure you do?

Yes... anyone is free to do what Walt Disney did.  Take old public fables and create movies/stories about them.

But yes... you ( and everyone else ) are not allowed to copy any work uniquely produced by Disney that was not part of the public domain.

Yes the length of copyright was extended but we are talking about Walt Disney and that happened well after he died.

So...

Are you arguing that there should be no copyrights?  Anyone can copy anything?

or 

The extension of the copyright should not have been extended ( life of the creator + 50 years )

or

That no one should profit from public domain works?

This is getting interesting.

Are you arguing that there should be no copyrights? Anyone can copy anything?or The extension of the copyright should not have been extended ( life of the creator + 50 years )orThat no one should profit from public domain works?

I'm arguing that modern copyright laws (in large part -- though certainly not exclusively -- because of the Walt Disney Company's lobbying efforts) have been extended far beyond the original intention and now operate almost the reverse from the original concept (which was to essentially sponsor artistic creation and made it possible to make a living as an artist). Certainly an original work needs to be protected for a good length of time, say 40-50 years or so after creation, but at that point they should enter the public domain so that the ongoing creative process can continue as it always has ("always", in least in terms of the beginning of copyright laws). Disney was a brilliant businessman and a savvy storyteller, albeit one who almost exclusively mined other people's content for his own works (and again, very smartly, used PD work when possible so he wouldn't have to pay anyone a dime). From a personal standpoint, while I enjoy his (and his company's) movies, generally speaking I prefer the original stories over the Disney-ized versions. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

Hello, longtime lurker here. Finally decided to sign up for an account. Have been a visitor to this board since the weekend of Man of Steel. Signed up to understand how the board works in the lead up to summer movie season 2014 :)

• Like 4

Hello, longtime lurker here. Finally decided to sign up for an account. Have been a visitor to this board since the weekend of Man of Steel. Signed up to understand how the board works in the lead up to summer movie season 2014 :)

Welcome. My name is Ed.

Welcome. LOL the board works like this. People make insane predictions based on their favorite movies or movies they hate. 

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2