Olive

Tuesday Numbers - WOWS 1.95M, Frozen 1.9M(300M!), DOS 1.57M,

Hello, longtime lurker here. Finally decided to sign up for an account. Have been a visitor to this board since the weekend of Man of Steel. Signed up to understand how the board works in the lead up to summer movie season 2014 :)

Welcome to the forums. :)

I'm arguing that modern copyright laws (in large part -- though certainly not exclusively -- because of the Walt Disney Company's lobbying efforts) have been extended far beyond the original intention and now operate almost the reverse from the original concept (which was to essentially sponsor artistic creation and made it possible to make a living as an artist). Certainly an original work needs to be protected for a good length of time, say 40-50 years or so after creation, but at that point they should enter the public domain so that the ongoing creative process can continue as it always has ("always", in least in terms of the beginning of copyright laws)

Fair enough.  

As someone who produces copyright able material I personally feel I should own my own creations though out my life and then to whomever I assign them if that is my wish upon my death. ( so I'd like them to be longer )  I see no public benefit in allowing people to copy my work.

We have strayed off topic which was already off topic.

No doubt Disney produced some anti-Semitic cartoons and was a member for some time in an anti-Semitic organization for a time. ( although he did not create it as Streep claims)

However people who have studied his life claim he was pretty anti-political and fairly non-religious and dis-associated himself for those people and organizations.  

Streep's main source for her views came from Ward Kimball who had a bitter labor dispute with Disney.

Was Disney a racist?  I don't know.  I doubt Streep really knows either.

Did he hate women in animation?  Well... in 1940 he hired Mary Blair who worked mainly for Disney until his death and was conferred the 'Disney Legend' honor for her contributions to Disney throughout her life.

My biggest complaints with Streep is her just repeating the typical rumors about Disney where it's obvious she has never spoken to those that knew Disney best and the timing and place where she made the comments.

However... everyone is entitled to have their own opinion on both Streep and Disney and this thread has probably moved well off topic.

Andy

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Godot. Glad to see you starting in the most interesting thread in weeks.

Also Lone Survivor is winning this weekend hands down. If it doesn't I will eat a live starfish.

Andy, I'm also a content creator and I agree with you -- we should be allowed to profit from and protect our work for a long period of time. However, I think it's also worth considering that a lot of art is derived from prior works. The very ability to take older stories, characters, images, songs, etc and fuse something new and fresh from hem is vital for artistic expression and for the culture it springs from. Therefore I think there needs to be a clear point where art passes from its creator (and/or their estate) and becomes public domain. However, large companies are trying their hardest to eliminate this possibility or push it as far down the road as possible, and I don't think that's a good thing, overall. Indeed, had these sorts of laws existed back in Walt's day, we wouldn't have his JUNGLE BOOK or indeed many other animated classics.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Godot. Glad to see you starting in the most interesting thread in weeks.

Also Lone Survivor is winning this weekend hands down. If it doesn't I will eat a live starfish.

If that happens, I want a video of it. :lol:

• Like 1

And then a fanbase war erupts before the mods come in and shut down threads

just kidding.

Actually... the numbers thread is a tale of schizophrenia.

The night crew... while we wait for numbers to come in... tends to blow the thread up with:

1. sports

2. fanboy wars

3. off topic rants

4. sexual innuendo ( different from 3... sex by definition is always on topic )

5. discussing if Tele has seen Frozen yet.

42.  some BO numbers talk.

The morning crew talks about:

1. numbers

2. bitches at the night crew for cluttering up the thread

• Like 7

Speaking of which, did we get Tele's update yet for today? Dying to know.

That he's still a 49ers fan? Probably is. They're going down this weekend though.Let's go Broncos!
  • Like 1