Olive

Tuesday Numbers - WOWS 1.95M, Frozen 1.9M(300M!), DOS 1.57M,

So shall we give him the benefit of the doubt and call him "thoroughly un-progressive" in those areas?

Here's her specific words: "had some…racist proclivities. He formed and supported an anti-Semitic industry lobby."

Is that really so far off-base? What would you call the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals?

I'd call it anti-Communist.

Disney wasn't perfect, but very few at that time were.

I've read that he also hired many women for the film and animation dept.

Streep is the typical know-it-all Hollywood lefty who thinks the public is graced by her opinions.

• Like 1

Disney was a classic case of pilfering/acquiring/buying up all sorts of fairy tales (public domain and otherwise), changing them willy-nilly all over, and then harshly controlling these properties. The IP laws we have today are in large part due to Disney's efforts to not allow other creators the same approach he took.

We can argue or discuss whether someone who sells the rights can have an opinion about what's done to them, but using public domain stories as the basis for your versions and then denying that same approach to others is hypocritical.

• Like 3

Disney was a classic case of pilfering/acquiring/buying up all sorts of fairy tales (public domain and otherwise), changing them willy-nilly all over, and then harshly controlling these properties. The IP laws we have today are in large part due to Disney's efforts to not allow other creators the same approach he took.

We can argue or discuss whether someone who sells the rights can have an opinion about what's done to them, but using public domain stories as the basis for your versions and then denying that same approach to others is hypocritical.

This.

I don't know why people are so stuck up in portraying Disney as a godlike holy creator that can't be criticized.

And yeah, "eras" don't excuse behaviors.

Yeah, PLT was his equal. Is that affirmation bothering you that much? Last time I checked, PLT wrote Mary Poppins. Disney didn't.(Like most of his productions based on pre-existing fairytale properties)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

By God, he is the third anti Christ !! 

:P

I don't understand this.

When did Walt Disney prevented anyone from making a movie of a public domain story?

Edited by AndyLL

Let's be honest here: SMB is basically the equivalent of Peter Jackson meeting up with Christopher Tolkien, convincing him that he's got the right vision for his fathers' work, and then the last scene is Christopher Tolkien watching FOTR and crying over how perfectly PJ accomplished JRRT's vision.

• Like 5

Yeah, PL James was his equal. Is that affirmation bothering you that much? Last time I checked, PJ James wrote Mary Poppins. Disney didn't.(Like most of his productions based on pre-existing fairytale properties)

There is nothing wrong with that, however your being a hypocrite.

You would then you give no credit to Disney studios into making this stories into really popular well liked films because it does not fit your pro feminist viewpoints relating to this film? 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I don't understand this.

When has Disney prevented anyone from making a movie of a public domain story?

Go try to make a movie about Cinderella. Or Snow White (not a "re-imagining" like SWATH).

But more to the point, the concept of copyright is to allow creators to make a profit and a worthy living off their creations. So the original length of copyright was a few decades, and then got extended to about 50 years after publication date (I forget the exact number of years). The point was that this fueled creativity and allowed many new and worthy works to be created that were based on much older stories, while still giving creators the ability to make money off their creations.

And in fact this is a great and helpful thing, and Walt Disney (quite rightfully) chose to adapt many fairytales that were in the public domain. However, he (and his corporation) have ruthlessly lobbied (quite successfully) to increase the length of copyright dramatically. This has been happening for decades, and now the length of time is something like 50 years after the death of the creator. No doubt this will also be extended in the near future.

So the result is this:

Some of the Stories the Disney Corporation Has Borrowed from the Public Domain Since 1937 (Which is Perfectly OK since They Belong to All of Us to Build Upon):

Adventures of Huck Finn by Mark Twain
Aladdin from a folk tale in One Thousand and One Nights
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
Atlantis from the legend of Atlantis
Beauty and the Beast by G-S Barbot de Villeneuve
Bug’s Life from Aesop’s Fables
Cinderella from the Charles Perrault folk tale
Chicken Little from the folk tale
Christmas Carol from Charles Dickens
Frozen from Hans Christian Anderson’s Ice Queen 
Hercules from the Greek myth
Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson
Mulan from the Chinese Legend of Hua Mulan
Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
Pocahontas from the life and legend of Pocahontas 
Princess and the Frog from the Brothers Grimm folk tale The Frog Prince
Return to Oz from L. Frank Baum’s books
Robin Hood from the English folk tales
Sorcerer’s Apprentice from the poem by Johann Goethe
Song of the South from the Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris 
Snow White from the Brothers Grimm folk tale
Sleeping Beauty from the Charles Perrault folk tale
Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
Tangled from the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tale Rapunzel
Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
White Fang by Jack London

Stories that the Disney Corporation has In Turn Contributed to the Public Domain (Which Are Not Legally Available for Anyone Else to Build Upon Because Copyright Limits Keep Being Extended to Keep Mickey Mouse locked up in Disney’s Castle):

None

• Like 5

There is nothing wrong with that, however your being a hypocrite.

You would then you give no credit to Disney studios into making this stories into really popular well liked films because it does not fit your pro feminist viewpoints relating to this film? 

What does make me an "hypocrite" in saying "PLT was Disney's equal"? :huh:

What does make me an "hypocrite" in saying "PLT was Disney's equal"? :huh:

You say that but you saif Mary Poppins was all her, but in reality Disney really added to the story with how the made the film. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

This.

I don't know why people are so stuck up in portraying Disney as a godlike holy creator that can't be criticized.

And yeah, "eras" don't excuse behaviors.

Yeah, PLT was his equal. Is that affirmation bothering you that much? Last time I checked, PLT wrote Mary Poppins. Disney didn't.(Like most of his productions based on pre-existing fairytale properties)

Walt Disney was a chain smoker

Walt Disney did indeed hold some sexist views.

Walt Disney did questionable things to end the animators strike in 1941.

Walt Disney had a huge ego.

All this I recognize Disney did, and I realize Disney was definitely not a perfect man. The thing I have an issue with everyone calling him anti-Semitic and racist.

(And if Streep thinks that Disney was the only one sugarcoated in Saving Mr. Banks, she needs to read up on the actual Travers.)

• Like 2

You say that but you saif Mary Poppins was all her, but in reality Disney really added to the story with how the made the film. 

No, I said PLT wrote Mary Poppins, Disney didn't. That's a fact he didn't create it. The movie was a mutual work. That's why I say she was equal to him because AndyLL said she wasn't at all. Nothing hypocrite there.

• Like 1

(And if Streep thinks that Disney was the only one sugarcoated in Saving Mr. Banks, she needs to read up on the actual Travers.)

The actual P.L. Travers sounds much more interesting than what we got in the movie (although I freely admit that the movie's focus was solely on the MP sale/adaptation).

• Like 1

Go try to make a movie about Cinderella. Or Snow White (not a "re-imagining" like SWATH).

But more to the point, the concept of copyright is to allow creators to make a profit and a worthy living off their creations. So the original length of copyright was a few decades, and then got extended to about 50 years after publication date (I forget the exact number of years). The point was that this fueled creativity and allowed many new and worthy works to be created that were based on much older stories, while still giving creators the ability to make money off their creations.

And in fact this is a great and helpful thing, and Walt Disney (quite rightfully) chose to adapt many fairytales that were in the public domain. However, he (and his corporation) have ruthlessly lobbied (quite successfully) to increase the length of copyright dramatically. This has been happening for decades, and now the length of time is something like 50 years after the death of the creator. No doubt this will also be extended in the near future.

So the result is this:

Some of the Stories the Disney Corporation Has Borrowed from the Public Domain Since 1937 (Which is Perfectly OK since They Belong to All of Us to Build Upon):

Adventures of Huck Finn by Mark Twain
Aladdin from a folk tale in One Thousand and One Nights
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
Atlantis from the legend of Atlantis
Beauty and the Beast by G-S Barbot de Villeneuve
Bug’s Life from Aesop’s Fables
Cinderella from the Charles Perrault folk tale
Chicken Little from the folk tale
Christmas Carol from Charles Dickens
Frozen from Hans Christian Anderson’s Ice Queen 
Hercules from the Greek myth
Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson
Mulan from the Chinese Legend of Hua Mulan
Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
Pocahontas from the life and legend of Pocahontas 
Princess and the Frog from the Brothers Grimm folk tale The Frog Prince
Return to Oz from L. Frank Baum’s books
Robin Hood from the English folk tales
Sorcerer’s Apprentice from the poem by Johann Goethe
Song of the South from the Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris 
Snow White from the Brothers Grimm folk tale
Sleeping Beauty from the Charles Perrault folk tale
Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
Tangled from the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tale Rapunzel
Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
White Fang by Jack London

Stories that the Disney Corporation has In Turn Contributed to the Public Domain (Which Are Not Legally Available for Anyone Else to Build Upon Because Copyright Limits Keep Being Extended to Keep Mickey Mouse locked up in Disney’s Castle):

None

Well, at least they didn't claim Hamlet from Lion King  :ph34r: