Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Okay-I see Gravity taking home the tech awards easily. Visuals it has in the bag. The sound cats-the only film that has a remote chance of beating it is Lone Survivor, so in other words, it will win these. Film editing-I can see Captain or 12 Years taking it. Now for art direction, this is a tough call. The only film that I don't think will win out of those 5 is Her. Cinematography-should win here.

Personally I would love for TLR or Bad Grandpa to win makeup-but they wont.

• Like 2

You mean, Philomena?

Not for BP, but I can easily see Philomena taking screenplay and score. (I'm only predicting screenplay atm, but both or either one would not surprise me.) Philomena's just such a pleasant movie and is emotionally touching and really what the Academy likes. And it has to its advantage that its very well put together and it deals with very heavy issues, so people can't write it off as a light movie.

I've just seen Philomena and I can't take more of this "inspired by true events" stuff and, God, aren't the Brits the best at making boring biographical historical whatever movies? The Queen, The King's Speech, The Iron Lady... I just can't connect with this kind of film, it feels like they are never going to end.

I saw Dallas Buyers Club yesterday and it's just like Philomena, beautifully acted and crafted for the award season, trying to be touching and emotional (they actually succeed a few times) but always failing to grab my attention. DBC wasn't as boring as Philomena, but the latter has much more charisma. They aren't bad movies, but I don't think I would bother to see them if they weren't nominated for BP.

I still gotta see Captain Philips (doesn't look boring, but I guess I prefer a boring english biopic to self-indulgent american heroism) and 12YAS until Sunday. I'm dying to see Blue Jasmine, but I don't think I'll have time for that.

Edited by JohnnY

Actually Philomena is by Harvey and he will do anything to get his films to win something :P

Well that helps. But I can see Fox Searchlight or Barker at SPC getting score or screenplay for Philomena as well. It's just that type of movie that has wide appeal to the Academy. It ticks off all of their boxes. I mean there's literally one thing they like more than a good British Anti-Catholic movie and that's a holocaust movie. It's got famous and hugely respected names, well directed, well acted, and got a beautiful narrative. Judi Dench is going Blind, Philomena Lee meets the Pope and etc. 

I was reading an article on Rope of Silicon (IDK how true it is) that said that some Academy members won't even watch 12 Years A Slave. I can't paste the article for some reason (I guess I still haven't figured everything about posting out). But you can check it out by typing Academy Members won't watch 12 Years A Slave Rope of Silicon into Google. I haven't seen 12 Years A Slave yet, but if this is why it doesn't win, then I will be extremely pissed. 

i really doubt it would be enough to seriously damage it's chances. some people in the academy probably aren't above just voting for it without bothering to watch it because of how it feels the most "important" of the bunch.

i remember there were reports of hfpa members not even liking slave but hey, it won there.

Yeah. The Rope of Silicon article spoke about how some people are voting on the Acting category based on which character they liked, as opposed to whose performance was good. Therefore, DiCaprio is being hurt in the race. It's disappointing, really. Every year, the Academy plays all of these clips about how much cinema can change people's lives and why one should be enthusiastic about the art form, yet some of their members seem to completely miss what makes cinema so fulfilling in the first place.

• Like 5