Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Can someone explain to me how Gravity qualifies as sci-fi?

Jawa you know thats a good argument.. Its not really a sci-fi its a thriller/drama. Nothing fictious or out of the world fantasy or futuristic about it.. You are right my friend.

Also still upset they screwed James best director at the oscars in 2009 to a decent war movie but nothing great. Avatar is the greatest movie experience of all time!! Like Sigourney Weaver said the only reason it lost, was Oscars attempt to give a reward to a director with brests. And it was  Camerons wife too( He trained her!!)

• Like 2

I thought the split was great: GRAVITY owes everything to Cuaron and his insane vision and dedication, and 12 YEARS is a worthy winner and it's high time a film about slavery won (to say nothing about a film about slavery starring and directed by black people). Bravo. There were no surprises, but on the whole it was a satisfying group of overall winners.

Tele laying the Truth.

• Like 3

• Community Manager

Gravity is science fiction but it's not sci-fi. There is a difference. Sci-fi is just a story set in the future (or in space) but it doesn't aim to have a deeper meaning. Science fiction isn't just a story but is intelligent and tries to be more. I think Gravity approaches the "more" not through the actual narrative but with the cinematography.

Edited by Water Bottle

The directors' branch controls the nominations. That's how you end up with Inception and TDK getting 8 nominations but no Director nomination. Like I said, I think some of his fellow directors are jealous of his popularity. Spielberg dealt with similar resentment early in his career.

Yep Redfirebird.. Its the youth thing or if you as a top talent support a topic or subject matterr the so called old boys despise. You bet Nolan is part of a cause the other directors despise or they dont feel hes earned his wings some how because of his youth when compared to his peers. Steven deserved an oscar for Jaws, ET,  Close Encounters.. They robbed him for years.

• Like 1

Best Documentary wasn't a surprise. Every Oscar blogger I read predicted it correctly.

Alright then. The biggest surprise of the night was Best Animated Short Film.

That does not make things any better....

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 1

I thought the split was great: GRAVITY owes everything to Cuaron and his insane vision and dedication, and 12 YEARS is a worthy winner and it's high time a film about slavery won (to say nothing about a film about slavery starring and directed by black people). Bravo. There were no surprises, but on the whole it was a satisfying group of overall winners.

I'm glad it was this and not the buffoonery that was Django Unchained. 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

• Community Manager

The directors' branch controls the nominations. That's how you end up with Inception and TDK getting 8 nominations but no Director nomination. Like I said, I think some of his fellow directors are jealous of his popularity. Spielberg dealt with similar resentment early in his career.

It could also be because Christopher Nolan can be pretty insufferable in real life. Every interview I find him to be utterly pretentious.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves his movies and who thinks he's an amazing, innovative director.

No, I don't mind Gravity didn't win because my "scifi genre fanboyism" aside (I really liked Gravity and its amazing direction), I think 12YAS was a better movie as a whole. Period.

Fair enough but I think Gravity is the best movie of 2013. ;)

Edited by Water Bottle

Again well put Tele buddy ... I Thought this was an important win for those reasons as well.. They have always screwed over films dealing with such dreaded parts of society like slavery. I also remember they screwed over Hotel Rawanda as well for best picture

While 12 Years A Slave was a well made movie, I think Wolf Of Wall Street should have won best adapted screenplay. It had way more memorable quotes and was a blast.

There's more to a great screenplay than having quotable lines.

It just is? It's very stark and mostly realistic, but it's still very much science fiction.

Alright then. The biggest surprise of the night was Best Animated Short Film.

That does not make things any better....

Eh. While surprises may make for a disappointing show (although, that depends on your perspective) it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad Oscars. Far better the expected and predictable match up with the films and performances that are actually the best than there's a huge upset and we get a Crash situation.

• Like 1

It could also be because Christopher Nolan can be pretty insufferable in real life. Every interview I find him to be utterly pretentious.

Insufferable? He never comes across like a prick. If anything he seems pretty restrained. I can think of quite a few directors who do come across like pricks.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2

A film with a weak script does not deserve BP, it should take more than being visually impressive.

Hey I agree with you, it wasn't my pick for Best Picture. But it is a fantastic, jaw-dropping cinematic feat that's not only about the visual effects but the incredible filmmaking skill of Alfonso Cuaron. And the script was fine.

Edited by Jack Nevada

• Community Manager

Insufferable? He never comes across like a prick. If anything he seems pretty restrained. I can think of quite a few directors who do come across like pricks.

I never said prick. I said pretentious. I'm not saying he's a jerk.

Eh. While surprises may make for a disappointing show (although, that depends on your perspective) it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad Oscars. Far better the expected and predictable match up with the films and performances that are actually the best than there's a huge upset and we get a Crash situation.

I'll agree with this. And, hey, if the movies are deserving of the Oscar, why rob them just to make it a surprise?

Again well put Tele buddy ... I Thought this was an important win for those reasons as well.. They have always screwed over films dealing with such dreaded parts of society like slavery. I also remember they screwed over Hotel Rawanda as well for best picture

Actually, the Academy tends not to screw over films like 12YAS. As a matter of fact, this is the typical type of film to win BP. Now, sci-fi on the other hand has been screwed over since the dawn of time.