Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Just saw this on IMDB:

Meryl: there were so many performances this year that were great. I mean, I’m thinking of my friend Emma *pauses* Thompson, who wasn’t nominated… I was really shocked and I wrote her a long heartfelt e-mail saying, you know, how bad I felt and she wrote me back and said ‘Good’. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEhfNS2z-jM

I love Thompson's 'Good.' It's hilarious and so her. 

And also, I love how Meryl admits that she reads all the prognosticator sites, pundits and papers. I mean we all know they're secretly addicted to Crone. :P ) Though I do wonder how she feels when Sasha completely went ape shit cray cray on her. 

Edited by riczhang

No. Blanshitto's had it locked since Streep's film didn't do so well. Her only legitimate competition was if August wowed at Tiff, which it didn't. It's going to be a landslide of epic proportions almost a la Mirren with The Queen. I see 40+ percent voting Blanshitto.

I didn't know they released that kind of data.
  • Like 1

Oh and I just remembered. I was going to post this gif about Thompson, but then I couldn't find the gif version of this and I was afraid I was gonna get banned or ignored or suspended or assasinated as I walk out the door. 

So this is what El Diablo thinks of all you thompson devotees :ph34r: (And i promise I'll stop rubbing it in after this one. serious. Like actually serious. I was going to stop after that Streep email quote but then I remember this. I really couldn't resist, sorry.... :()

Posted Image

Edited by riczhang

They both should have been nominated. But if I had to pick, I'd go with Renner. Cooper seemed like he was doing a slightly more sane rehash of his SLP character. With a perm, of course. 

Cooper did nothing to me

neither in SLP not here

obv imo

Oh and I just remembered. I was going to post this gif about Thompson, but then I couldn't find the gif version of this and I was afraid I was gonna get banned or ignored or suspended or assasinated as I walk out the door. 

So this is what El Diablo thinks of all you thompson devotees :ph34r: (And i promise I'll stop rubbing it in after this one. serious. Like actually serious. I was going to stop after that Streep email quote but then I remember this. I really couldn't resist, sorry.... :()

Cate will never say that

Everyone loves Ems

Posted Image

Streep also

Posted Image

Renner loves her

Posted Image

Lupita loves her

Posted Image

Sandra loves her

Posted Image

basically its impossible not to love that woman

Edited by Tauriel
  • Like 3

My thoughts.

No real snubs. Biggest surprise is 12YAS not tying or having more noms than AH and Gravity.

I still think 12YAS takes BP/BD but this looks to be a close race.

Let's look at the pros and cons of the three films that are "really" in contention for BP

12YAS

Pros:

Better film than AH

No black director has won an Oscar yet

No film on slavery has won an Oscar yet or has been as well executed as 12YAS

Great critical reception

"Underdog" story going for it now that AH has the most noms

CONS

Weak BO performance so far

SLP would have maybe won had Affleck not got snubbed for Director causing Argo to somehow win the guilds and win BP

Hard film for some people to sit through

AH

PROS

Good BO

Nominated in all major categories, something O'Russel has achieved twice in a row, plus tied for most noms

O'Russel now seems overdue

SLP was a great movie but Argo stole its thunder thanks to the Affleck snubbing

JLaw is the hot thing right now

CONS

12YAS and Gravity are both better movies

Backlash from this film not being so great and getting so many noms

Gravity

PROS

Amazing BO run

Amazing critical and mainstream reception

Better movie than AH

Votes may get split between 12YAS and AH and somehow this might make it in, although unlikely

CONS

The Academy has not awarded a mainstream film since ROTK

Oscar voters who want to vote for Gravity may instead vote for AH or 12YAS as those are perceived the two front runners and voters may feel Gravity has no chance of winning.

Most noms are in tech categories, although Bullock getting a nom is a good sign.

• Like 1

The Departed and Argo were mainstream.

Ehh, I mean mainstream in the sense of making $250M+ and having everyone watch your film like a 4quad. Argo and The Departed had a target audience and yes they did well, I wouldn't say they were at the same mainstream level as Gravity or RotK or even non-Oscar nominated films like The Avengers or THG or Spider-Man, etc.

Btw, I was never really on the Hanks hype train. I guess between SMG and CP, I guess he should have got nominated, but I am not surprised he didn't get nominated either. But, I guess in retrospect that is the biggest snub this year. Overall, a pretty predictable year actually.

What's funny to think is that if next year we only got 5 BP noms under the current rules, that would be a huge shocker and there would be meltdowns.

Edited by CloneWars

What's the real meaning of mainstream? I have it more attached to films created to please an important part of the audience. RIPD, for example, is a mainstream film, no matter its pitty gross

With this in mind, I think Academy have gone to mainstream films more than we think. Slumdog Millionaire is a nice example.

Edited by stripe