Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

As much as I like 12 Years a Slave, I don't think it deserves to win best picture if it doesn't win for anything else (or at most maybe 2 other awards) while Gravity picks up the awards for over half of the categories it's nominated in.

It doesn't make sense to say, "Yeah, even though every other movie was better than you at everything you are still the Best Picture."

• Like 2

In 2006 I remember saying that Leo (along with Johnny Depp and a couple other actors) were likely not to win and get a lifetime achievement. I was then laughed at. (Of course this could change for both of these guys someday but right now it just looks like a lifetime award for them)

People were saying Leo would win in a few years.

• Like 1

If Depp had still been doing as consistently great work as in 1990-2005, he could have won already by now. The Pirates sequels and AIW really drowned him. I mean, 6 years since Sweeney Todd, and the only instance of the man doing something really good and inspired was him voicing an animated chameleon. Still, there's always the chance that he eventually gets tired of doing lazy work for paychecks, receives a late-career part that he could get passionate about, knocks it out of the park and wins awards for it. Everyone loves a comeback.

Di Caprio will win. I have no idea when, but unless, uh, something happens, the guy could realistically be going for another 30+ years. I don't think even the Academy would like him to end up like Peter O'Toole. At worst, he'll get rewarded for a Pacino-style attention-grabbing scenery-chewing fest; at best, he'll continue doing consistently good work, perhaps even becoming a better actor as he ages (I often agree with those people who keep saying Di Caprio almost never becomes his characters, but I'll be damned if he didn't amaze me in WOWS), and at one point gets his statue. Kinda like, I don't know, Paul Newman, John Wayne or Jeff Bridges, except I hope Leo doesn't have to wait until he's a senior citizen.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

Leo is in rehearsals right now.

Practicing his loosing face.

Jlaw giving him the golden statuette would be so damn amazing, she already gave him the globe and he announced her Bafta win.

Something will happen between thse two, it has two.

That Cameron/Jlaw/Di Caprio Cleopatra project must happen someday. But alas, Jim is lost on Pandora for the next decade or so ...

Posted Image

That's interesting, and while acting is the biggest branch, if you group the techies together (FX, cinematographers, editors, and sound (you could also include directors and music) they are definitely the biggest branch).  I always found it weird that the techies weren't at least close to the largest group, now it makes sense why they aren't considered to be.

• Like 1