The Tree of Life

30 members have voted

1. 1. The Tree of Life

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Gopher's a film snob. If Truffaut and Felini were still alive and they produced a film that was directed by Mailick and written by Paul Thomas Anderson, he would have an orgasm that would last for a week. :)

• Like 3

Gopher's a film snob. If Truffaut and Felini were still alive and they produced a film that was directed by Mailick and written by Paul Thomas Anderson, he would have an orgasm that would last for a week. :)

LMAO okay that explains his love for Margaret.
  • Like 1

:lol:These days being a film snob means not liking Transformers and Twilight.
  • Like 3

I loooooovvvvveeee movies. Yes, I have leanings towards PTA, Kurosawa, Felini, Bergman, Kubrick and the masters of the craft. I enjoy ambition quite a lot, because even if the film generally doesn't work (Tree of Life and Margaret totally do btw) I'll always prefer personal visions to soulless films envisioned by accountants through profit equations. In fact, my top five of the year-so-far are all projects that have a singular voice behind them that works really well (PTA, Whedon x2, Nolan, Anderson).

But I see over a hundred movies a year, and I never see a movie I don't think I'll enjoy on some meaningful level. So when I bash Amazing Spider-Man or Bourne Legacy or Rock of Ages, it comes from a place of empathy to those who do enjoy those movies. I try to give everything I see a chance because I want to be sincere about film discussion (which is my favorite thing to do ever).

Sorry I called you aDIM though... what an insult that is. :P

Edited by Gopher

Movies aren't worth watching without an open mind... not just to the movie but towards the discussion it provokes. I can't tell you how many reviews I've read or conversations I've had where I saw certain movies in a completely different light. You should understand why people have different reactions to movies that you do (as long as they're coherent thoughts of course). This applies to the highest and lowest denominators of the entertainment scale.Your judgement only goes as far as how many films you've seen. That's why film critics have jobs... the good ones have seen 10,000+ hours worth of movies in their lifetimes. They know their stuff. But no matter what, an open mind is essential.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I understand Margaret's a totally decisive movie. You're either completely on board with it or you're not. Hell, it's barely fresh on RT/Metacritic. But I'll defend it any day of the week. I think it's one of the best American movies of the last few decades. So, um, anyway, Tree of Life.Dinosaurs!

• Like 1

I understand Margaret's a totally decisive movie. You're either completely on board with it or you're not. Hell, it's barely fresh on RT/Metacritic. But I'll defend it any day of the week. I think it's one of the best American movies of the last few decades.So, um, anyway, Tree of Life.Dinosaurs!

Okay so I'll admit, until I didn't give Tree of Life a fair chance. I didn't see the very beginning and got bored watching the dawning of the universe. Until Industrious Angel pointed it out to me I didn't know what I had missed. I still haven't seen Margaret yet. I really love You Can Count on Me so I was waiting for his second effort. And I do mean waiting watching the release year change year after year on IMDB. I'm gonna watch it and let you know what I think.

The Tree of Life has the sort of imagery that you'd see on a futuristic commercial in a science-fiction movie of 'how life used to be'. Lots of simple, slow moving shots of grass and greenery, a parent playing with his children, animals etc. I didn't dislike watching it, but I just think there are many more enjoyable ways to tell such a story. This film can evoke certain feelings, and that is the special part, but it's such a special brand of movie-making that you have to be ready and 'in that place' in order to feel it. If you're not, and I'm sure many people weren't when watching this for the first time, then it'll be lost on you. Because of the exclusivity of the film in its viewership, I can't say that this is by any means a good film. I have the urge to watch a film like this probably, on average, about once every 5 years, and to me that isn't what I want from a film. I want a film that I can be bothered to watch at the turn of a hat if I want to, but this just requires too much thought, and because of that it gets a C+/B-.

The imagery wasn't that beautiful either, if it was I wouldn't have almost forgotten all about it. Pitt was good, as always, as were the little boys and his wife, and I praise Malick for the invention of such a craft (that he tried to use in The Thin Red Line), but perhaps it should have come with a warning on the cover to 'BE PREPARED FOR DEEP THOUGHT AND CONCENTRATION'.

C+/B-