CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

Just now, Morieris said:

It's only rated G? Or is a Canadian G a US PG. 

There is a Canadian PG rating, and it's pretty much the same as the MPAA's PG rating. There can be differences of opinion, so the ratings are not always the same.

Interestingly, ratings can vary by province in Canada.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

http://www.tiff.net/films/sing/

I presume this means that any differences compared to the final version will be pretty minor/insignificant?

I'm guessing so. They'd only have about two months to fix something big.

It makes sense that it would be a work in progress, though. I was wondering how Illumination made so many movies so quickly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

It's only rated G? Or is a Canadian G a US PG. 

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

There is a Canadian PG rating, and it's pretty much the same as the MPAA's PG rating. There can be differences of opinion, so the ratings are not always the same.

Interestingly, ratings can vary by province in Canada.

The description of the ratings is pretty similar between both countries, but G ratings seem to be far more common here, at least in Ontario. Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets are both G, as was Zootopia if I recall correctly. Kubo is PG.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

The description of the ratings is pretty similar between both countries, but G ratings seem to be far more common here, at least in Ontario. Finding Dory and Secret Life of Pets are both G, as was Zootopia if I recall correctly. Kubo is PG.

Same in BC. G is pretty much the standard for all animated movies (okay so Kubo and... the Simpsons? were PG). At least in places like BC and Ontario, it is much easier for a family movie to get a G rating than in the states. Same with R movies getting 14A, although you get that odd PG-13 movie that gets bumped to 14A like WWZ.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've seen at least one comment online indignant about Zootopia's G rating.

Some Americans probably read that and thought that parent was just stupid or something.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2016 at 8:19 PM, Arlborn said:

I don't know, I feel like most Potter fans will show up plus some new younger fans and even some other people curious about this, specially if reviews and WOM are good. Then when you consider inflation I think 300m+ is more likely for that than under 300m.

Let's hope so.

The opening should be huge. Wonder how front-loaded the ow will be with all the pent up HP thirst.

• Like 1

Attended the Chris Meledandri tribute today at Venice and watched the first 20 minutes of SING (work-in-progress), plus they showed us a scene towards the end.

- The film is both hilarious and a bit more "grown-upy" in its themes than most Illumination films

- The animal singing scenes killed the audience with laughter.

- There's a big, HILARIOUS Japanese singing cats in the film. The audience exploded with laughs.

- The audience was all above 30-35 years old and they still laughed a lot

- Really liked the setup, and my favorite character is Reese Witherspoon

- Visually appealing a lot, and there are themes of parenthood, feminism, going broke, husband-wife relationships, bad treatment of women, faith in onself, and many more.

I think it will be a big hit. I hope they don't change much of what I saw.

Ask me any questions.

cc: @Baumer loves Oogieloves @cannastop

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Attended the Chris Meledandri tribute today at Venice and watched the first 20 minutes of SING (work-in-progress), plus they showed us a scene towards the end.

- The film is both hilarious and a bit more "grown-upy" in its themes than most Illumination films

- There's a big, HILARIOUS Japanese singing cats in the film. The audience exploded with laughs.

- Visually appealing a lot, and there are themes of parenthood, feminism, going broke, husband-wife relationships, bad treatment of women, faith in onself, and many more.

Ask me any questions.

Judging by the footage, do you think it has a chance to gross around Pets numbers, or even above?

Also, @Jason, are you still planning to see the movie at TIFF?

Edited by CoolEric258

1 hour ago, MinaTakla said:

Ask me any questions.

Was the singing always entertaining, mostly fitting the scenes? I was impressed with a lot of the trailers but with so many songs and characters...I slightly fear it'll be like Strange Magic, where the songs didn't fit and there were too many.

45 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Was the singing always entertaining, mostly fitting the scenes? I was impressed with a lot of the trailers but with so many songs and characters...I slightly fear it'll be like Strange Magic, where the songs didn't fit and there were too many.

I felt the songs gave the film more energy and it didn't annoy me at all in the context of the 20 minutes I saw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Judging by the footage, do you think it has a chance to gross around Pets numbers, or even above?

Yes it can be a big hit. I just would be a bit careful with over 300m because of the holiday period and the competition with Star Wars. But it can be a great success for Illumination. Crowd pleaser and also has adult appeal.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

Funnily enough I saw that movie for the first time today and I thought the songs were fine. The plot is the thing that was really weak about it, not really the music placement. I mean, sure, the songs weren't memorable at all but in my opinion they really weren't what went wrong with that film.

12 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I should probably make a decision soon since I have no idea how quickly tickets sell out at TIFF. But not completely sure about my availability the weekend of the 17th-18th. Showing on the 11th is definite no-go and 12th and 15th are press screenings.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Sing will be another major money maker for illumination. 600+ worldwide won't shock me.

Well, if it gets pretty great reviews from critics, like the other Illumination-films like Pets & Despicable Me-films, (if not higher).,.and some of the other animated films this year...the WW-gross could go higher.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1