Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

I'm puzzled as to how and why The Theory of everything is sailing on to best film lists while other films are struggling to be considered. Theory is perfectly pleasant and nice (I use these words deliberately) and I enjoyed it. But, imo, it is a made for television film elevated by an incredible central performance. And Felicity Jones can be thankful that the best actress race is so, so weak this year that her perfectly pleasant and nice performance is pretty much a lock for a nomination everywhere.

• Like 2

I'm puzzled as to how and why The Theory of everything is sailing on to best film lists while other films are struggling to be considered. Theory is perfectly pleasant and nice (I use these words deliberately) and I enjoyed it. But, imo, it is a made for television film elevated by an incredible central performance. And Felicity Jones can be thankful that the best actress race is so, so weak this year that her perfectly pleasant and nice performance is pretty much a lock for a nomination everywhere.

What are you talking about? Felicity Jones was just as strong if not stronger than Redmayne.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? Felicity Jones was just as strong if not stronger than Redmayne.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

I saw an actress competently play a stoic, English rose housewife who couldn't fulfill her academic ambitions and an actor brilliantly transform into a man with motor neurone disease to the point I could forget he isn't actually like that. And it wasn't just that he had the showier role.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

I saw an actress competently play a stoic, English rose housewife who couldn't fulfill her academic ambitions and an actor brilliantly transform into a man with motor neurone disease to the point I could forget he isn't actually like that. And it wasn't just that he had the showier role.

That's the definition of a showier role, Jones was just as strong in her confliction with having to care for the man with the disease. Redmayne was brilliant but don't forget to give credit where it's due, Jones was pretty fantastic too.

Movies from this year s oscar race I am interested in :

Whiplash, love drumming.

Gone Girl, Amazing Amy

Interstellar, but I think it will have to settle for tech noms only maybe.

The rest meh, especially the premises and descriptions and reviews I ve read from Boyhood and Birdman : no thx. One trick ponnies.

• Like 2

Birdman, it should get at least 8 (BP, BD, Screenplay, 3 acting noms, Cinematography, Editing). Can't see Selma or The Imitation Game match that. 

Selma could get BP, BD, Screenplay, 2 acting noms, Cinematography, Editing, both Sound Categories, Production Design, Score and Song.

Not a lock, but considering Selma's the current BP frontrunner (9.2/10 average on RT is stellar... and it's already got roughly 40 reviews), it's not impossible for it to get 9-12 noms. 

What I have in the prediction game is 

Birdman - 8 nominations
Boyhood - 6 nominations
Gone Girl - 5 nominations
The Grand Budapest Hotel - 6 nominations
The Imitation Game - 9 nominations
Selma - 7 nominations
The Theory of Everything - 6 nominations
Whiplash - 5 nominations

Selma has alot of controversy!

it will be snubbed

...no.

Selma is very likely going to become the highest grossing BP nominee for this year. No way the Academy misses out on the chance to nominate a crowd-pleasing, critically-acclaimed drama with timely subject matter.

What controversy do you speak of? 

• Like 1

I'm thinking

Selma

Boyhood

Birdman

The Imitation Game

Gone Girl

Grand Budapest Hotel

Whiplash

Theory of Everything

And it wouldn't shock me if Nightcrawler, Unbroken or even American Sniper managed to sneak in

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

I'm thinking

Selma

Boyhood

Birdman

The Imitation Game

Gone Girl

Grand Budapest Hotel

Whiplash

Theory of Everything

And it wouldn't shock me if Nightcrawler, Unbroken or even American Sniper managed to sneak in

1. Selma
  2. Birdman
  3. The Imitation Game
  4. Boyhood
  5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  6. Gone Girl
  7. Into the Woods
  8. The Theory of Everything
  9. Unbroken or American Sniper (see one of the war films making it) 

• Selma
  • Birdman
  • The Imitation Game
  • Boyhood
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Gone Girl
  • Into the Woods
  • The Theory of Everything
  • Unbroken or American Sniper (see one of the war films making it) 

If either Unbroken or American Sniper get in, it will be AS.

• Like 1

If either Unbroken or American Sniper get in, it will be AS.

I think it could go either way. American Sniper will get better reviews and potentially better BO, but Unbroken screams "Oscar bait" to me in a way American Sniper doesn't. 

Either one would be there just to add a crowd-pleaser. Even though I'd prefer to see Interstellar or LEGO Movie get in over both  :rolleyes: lol

I think it could go either way. American Sniper will get better reviews and potentially better BO, but Unbroken screams "Oscar bait" to me in a way American Sniper doesn't.

Either one would be there just to add a crowd-pleaser. Even though I'd prefer to see Interstellar or LEGO Movie get in over both :rolleyes: lol

Unbroken has lost way to much steam to get nominated. American Sniper is building steam and I think it has a decent shot to get nominated.

Maybe both miss and a film like Nightcrawler or Whiplash will slip in.

Edited by Empire