Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

I remember 2 years ago I saw the nominations and there were some major surprises and stuff, then I came to this forum and there were paaaaaages of talk about The Dark Knight Rises not getting a visual effects nomination. so don't underestimate them.

Soon.

Yeah I know. I don't really mean I'm angry, it's just really weird in retrospect, especially considering BM was just a year ago. 

On a positive note, one great thing to come out of this is that more people will seek the Before movies and other Linklaters, and those could always use more fans. 

I think it helped him significantly that this Oscar-caliber film came out so soon after his previous Oscar-caliber film that got snubbed. Now he's being seen as "due". 

^

I think it's more people realizing after the overwhelming critical success of Boyhood what a great body of work he has produced. Until last year many people loved Dazed & Confused, Slacker, School of Rock, the Before films but they loved them seperately, they didn't saw them as part of Linklater's ouvre. Mostly because he never packaged himself as an auteur and he made a lot of movies just for the sake of it, kind of like Steven Soderberg. But Soderberg had big commercial hits and an oscar early in his career so he became a brand-name director anyway. So after everyone went nuts for Boyhood this year and people started to put all those movies together, it's understandable to think "I can't believe we were taking this guy for granted for so many years". 

• Like 1

Personal ranking:

1. Boyhood
2. Whiplash
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Birdman
5. Selma
6. The Imitation Game
7. The Theory of Everything
8. American Sniper

Really good year, I consider the top 5 all to be really close.

Predicted winner: Boyhood

• Like 1

^

I think it's more people realizing after the overwhelming critical success of Boyhood what a great body of work he has produced. Until last year many people loved Dazed & Confused, Slacker, School of Rock, the Before films but they loved them seperately, they didn't saw them as part of Linklater's ouvre. Mostly because he never packaged himself as an auteur and he made a lot of movies just for the sake of it, kind of like Steven Soderberg. But Soderberg had big commercial hits and an oscar early in his career so he became a brand-name director anyway. So after everyone went nuts for Boyhood this year and people started to put all those movies together, it's understandable to think "I can't believe we were taking this guy for granted for so many years". 

Yeah, I personally never realized School of Rock was Linklater until last year. I wonder if a Boyhood win will make people go back and appreciate forgotten gems like Waking Life.