Impact

2014 Best Picture Prediction thread!

Will be hilarious if Selma missed best picture after all this. Mostly for the ultimate Crone meltdown.

selma's omissions from most awards is due to screener availability, and not critical reception.

academy have the screens, and academy voters will have full knowledge of selma. selma is #2 pole position imho and is a top 2 contender for picture.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

After PGA

Boyhood

Birdman

Imitation game

Theory of everything

Budapest Hotel

STRONG CHANCES

Selma

Whiplash

Gone Girl

IN THE RUN

Nightcrawler

American Sniper

Foxcatcher

WOULD BE SURPRISING

Unbroken

And then, my own predictions (10 nominees this year)

Birdman

Boyhood

Gone girl

Grand Budapest Hotel

Imitation game

Nightcrawler

Selma

Theory of everything

Unbroken

Whiplash

If there were 5 noms, this is what I would think they would be:

Birdman

Boyhood

Grand Budapest

Imitation Game

Selma

(I almost had Gone Girl but then I realized I forgot to put Hotel).

• Like 2

this is pretty cool. instead of just announcing the big categories like they normally do, on thursday's nomination announcement they're gonna announce every category in a two-part announcement, I assume the first part will be all the techs and stuff and will only be web-streamed and the second part will be the categories regular people care about and will be on tv. Either way, I think it's cool the smaller categories are getting the recognition nonetheless.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/star-wars-director-jj-abrams-will-help-announce-nominees-for-all-24-oscar-categories

• Like 2

Movies from this year s oscar race I am interested in :

Whiplash, love drumming.

Gone Girl, Amazing Amy

Interstellar, but I think it will have to settle for tech noms only maybe.

The rest meh, especially the premises and descriptions and reviews I ve read from Boyhood and Birdman : no thx. One trick ponnies.

Don't call boyhood or Birdman one trick ponies until you actually see them. There's much more to them than their "gimmicks", which aren't even gimmicks btw but more of an extra layer of excellency.

• Like 1

Interstellar is more likely to get nominated than Unbroken, and even then it's fighting for the final spots.

To be honest, it is. I know Nolan is secretive and cares about confidentiality, but the fact that Interstellar screeners still haven't leaked onto torrent sites tells me that either Paramount took some special measures to make sure that didn't happen, OR, just like Selma, not many screeners, or none at all, had been sent out to those smaller award circles.

in order of preference and what i've seen so far among the potentials for best picture noms:

gone girl

nightcrawler

american sniper

my very dark horse :

guardians of the galaxy , to bravely go where no marvel movie has gone to before the big categories at the oscars , really hope it gets in at least for screenplay wouldnt that be amazing?

I have to watch all the other films first will get to it asap

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 1

Well I put this in the Oscar predict thread, but I really hope a surprise happens. What could happen in picture? Theory misses out? (I would say Whiplash but that would be far less surprising)

• Like 1

Locks for nomination:

Birdman

Boyhood

The Imitation Game

Selma

Strong chances:

American Sniper

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

Fighting for the final spots:

A Most Violent Year

Interstellar

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

The Theory of Everything

Unbroken

Whiplash

Wild

I think the final total for nominations will be 9, considering that's been the number since the new guidelines started in 2011.

What I'm guessing the final list will be:

American Sniper

A Most Violent Year

Birdman

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

The Imitation Game

Selma

Whiplash

Maybe if there was a tenth nominee (or if a ninth nominee gets switched out) it could go to Interstellar, The Theory of Everything or Unbroken, but that's probably it.

Edited by Alpha

Locks for nomination:

Birdman

Boyhood

The Imitation Game

Selma

Strong chances:

American Sniper

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

A Most Violent Year

Interstellar

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

The Theory of Everything

Unbroken

Whiplash

Wild

I think the final total for nominations will be 9, considering that's been the number since the new guidelines started in 2011.

American Sniper

A Most Violent Year

Birdman

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

The Imitation Game

Selma

Whiplash

Maybe if there was a tenth nominee (or if a ninth nominee gets switched out) it could go to Interstellar, The Theory of Everything or Unbroken, but that's probably it.

A Most Violent Year isn't getting nominated for anything but maybe Supporting Actress.  And The Theory of Everything and Grand Budapest are locked, they aren't missing.

• Like 1

Locks for nomination:

Birdman

Boyhood

The Imitation Game

Selma

Strong chances:

American Sniper

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

A Most Violent Year

Interstellar

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Nightcrawler

The Theory of Everything

Unbroken

Whiplash

Wild

American Sniper

A Most Violent Year

Birdman

Boyhood

Foxcatcher

Gone Girl

The Imitation Game

Selma

Whiplash

these are whack yo. Panda's right Grand Budapest is locked as a muthafucka. same with theory.

• Like 1